Grumpy Girl

Sweep has been rather snarky for a few weeks now. We thought maybe she was out of sorts after I was in the hospital with flu/pneumonia in mid-January, since her daily routine was so disrupted, but the behavior has continued well beyond what we would expect from that. She's always had sleep startle but what we're seeing now is new: she doesn't seem to like being rubbed on her bed at all. She'll tolerate it for a minute but then snaps (nothing serious, just a stern warning that makes us jump), yet sometimes she'll paw at us to continue petting immediately afterward :dunno. I don't think it's pain related because she's happy to be petted while standing, and she loves being brushed all over with the Zoom Groom; there's no reactivity at all. She's still enthusiastic about walks and meals and rides, and still leans on us and seeks affection from us daily.

This behavior seems especially directed toward my husband. It's a shame because literally until a couple of months ago their nightly ritual was for him to massage her feet for a half hour or so until she drifted off. And of course it makes us both a bit apprehensive about petting her in general, which I'm sure makes her nervous too. Obviously now we've instituted the "Rocket rule" of only petting her when she's standing, but I'm wondering if there's any hope of getting back to where we were.

Any thoughts or advice? She's 8 now, so is she just becoming more curmudgeonly with age? She's on Previcox every other day for her chronic toe issue, and she gets a joint supplement and fish oil daily. Appetite is great as always.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

I wonder if she's being protective of you especially in view of your recent illness?

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

I wonder if she's being protective of you especially in view of your recent illness?

As much as I'd like this to be the case, she's done it to me too, so I don't think it is. :( The fact that she's done it more with my husband might simply be that their nightly routine is for her to be in her bed on his side of the couch where they've typically had their after-dinner bonding time. I'm here with her all day and less likely to touch her on her bed since I'm busy working.

The timing is odd, though, since it started just after I got home from the hospital.

Edited by ramonaghan

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly

My only other thought is to avoid the situation/actions that make her grumble. :dunno

Edited by LaFlaca

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

I've been using some essential oils with noticeable results, particularly with stress and thunderstorms. I do both diffusion and topical for those problems. I use a line developed by a vet and her license is on the line. They are safe for creatures from fish to elephants. I just attended her seminar last weekend. No mass marketing like Young Living or doTerra and the like. Her most recent lecture was at NC State's vet school.

She's on FB as https://www.facebook.com/groups/animalEO/

And online at https://www.animalEO.info

PM me if you have any questions about Dr Shelton's products.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I've been using some essential oils with noticeable results, particularly with stress and thunderstorms. I do both diffusion and topical for those problems. I use a line developed by a vet and her license is on the line. They are safe for creatures from fish to elephants. I just attended her seminar last weekend. No mass marketing like Young Living or doTerra and the like. Her most recent lecture was at NC State's vet school.

She's on FB as https://www.facebook.com/groups/animalEO/

And online at https://www.animalEO.info

PM me if you have any questions about Dr Shelton's products.

Thanks, Ducky, I'll give it a read.

What a husband you have....I'm sure many GT ladies would love it if someone would massage their paws for a half hour every night. :)

Haha! It started as PT massage for her wonky toe but then became habit. We are indeed pretty lucky ladies. :)

Both of mine air snap when they want me to make a fuss of them. Chancey greyhound does both the snap and the pawing if I stop!

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

Less likely but I wonder how much static electricity you might be generating when petting her? Can you feel any funny bumps when you pet her that might be making her reactive? Maybe hubby's nails are too long LOL

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Less likely but I wonder how much static electricity you might be generating when petting her? Can you feel any funny bumps when you pet her that might be making her reactive? Maybe hubby's nails are too long LOL

No Sweep bumps or DH long nails :lol but we have wondered about static...like maybe it happened once and now she's skittish? Though we've accidentally shocked her many times before without completely traumatizing her.

Don't think it's happy air snapping either because it's accompanied by a snarl and she has connected...just hasn't broken skin. She has excellent bite inhibition, thankfully.