Taking Greyhound On A Train

Apologies if this is in the wrong place. Husband and kids are away next week up to MILs. They are not takinghound as MIL's dog is an old lab that she took on 6 months ago from a neighbour who died. She understandably doesn't relish the idea of two large dogs in a relatively small house. Last time she put him in kennels but the DC really want to meet him.

Anyway, that's a ridiculously long and unnecessary backstory - sorry! I was going to be staying at home working from home as I always do, but I have to now go away for three days. My parents are having the hound but I'm taking her up to them on the train.

Advice please - she doesn't lie down unless she is very comfortable and she's not exactly the size to put on your lap on the seat. The journey is about 1 hour 15 minutes. How can I make the journey comfortable for her and not a pain for other passengers?

When I lived in Manhattan, we regularly took Bella on the train when we visited my parents. One of us would either stand with her in an area for wheelchairs that wasn't used (so that we weren't blocking seats) or in the vestible opposite the doors that were actually opening. Never had a problem. Sometimes she would stand the whole way but she was fine. Eventually she got so that she would lie down on a blanket.

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

I haven't taken them on a train but they've been on a tour bus. They eventually settled in and all was fine.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

i have taken mine on all sorts of crazy excursions. one was the rocky boat that toured Perce, Gaspe Peninsula. The seats were bumper to bumper, very little leg room. the boat rocked and rolled, they did fine. it was close to a 2 hr. trip. i have also taken dogs on the 8 hr. ferry ride to nova scotia from maine. cramped quarters as well. one would lie on the floor, the other stand. they manage. mine have stood on trips for long long periods of time, no ill effects. it's not forever. have a good trip.!

Maybe I'm a heartless old cow, but if I HAVE to go somewhere and I need to take the dog, if he chooses to make things hard on himself by standing the whole time, I let him.

I used to go frequently on a ferry with my dog. He stood the entire trip. I'd offer him a coat to lie down on, but he preferred to stand. So he stood.

I wouldn't give it another thought. Remember--she's a professional athlete, not a hot house flower. She'll be fine.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Provided she's allowed on the train (might be worth checking? She would be in the UK) you'll be fine. I do it quite often with Ken, as I don't have a car. Try and find an area with a bit of free floorspace, if you can-as sarabz says an unoccupied wheelchair space is good--otherwise she should be good to stand.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.