Gassy Grey!

Guest shawnee124

Guest shawnee124

I adopted my four yr old Grey about two months ago. I bought the Authority Dog food (GNC Salmon and potatoe, grain free flavor). Omg, she is so gasy..it stinks so bad I gag. She has been checked out by our Vet..no worms..no health issues other than sensitive stomach and gasy!! My Vet put her on Pepcid 20 mg twice a day but the problem still exists..I mean she passes gas every ten or fifteen minutes. What am I doing wrong??..Is there a food I can put her on that will cure the gas problem and not cause diarrhea?? Thanks in advance for your input!!

Edited by shawnee124

Guest GreytTimes

Our hound had gas so bad the smell would wake my husband up at night.

We started her on probiotics and no gas for the past year and a half.

Two things our vet recommended; FortiFlora (canine probiotic) and Beano (for humans). Some Gt'ers use Gas X. The gassiness may subside on it's own. You might need to experiment with different brands of food. It is worth mentioning that Greyhounds are notorious for paint-peeling, eye-watering gas.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

My Peggy has a very sensitive stomach and I soon discovered that a Salmon and Potato diet was not for her as it irritated her intestinal linings even more and caused gas. I found a kibble with 27% chicken, 7% trout, 2% salmon oil, brown rice, veggies and fruit that worked (Protein 25% Carbs 11%). Scores 3.9 out of 5 on the allaboutdogfood site.

It's called: "Barking Heads Dog Food - Golden Years Senior - Chicken & Salmon"

See if you can find something similar over there....

Guest shawnee124

Thank you so much for your help!!..I thought I was doing something wrong which caused her to be in such distress! It's hard to find a Vet here that have a lot experience with Greys, I wondered if the Pepcid would help or not!! My Grey just looks at me as if to say "hey my stomach is killing me!" (Poor baby).

I will start her on probiotics while researching other dog food brands. It's nice knowing this site exists.♡

rice, then rice and either chicken(boiled white meat, you can cook it in the rice or ground turkey) until the gas subsides then a simple food, find out what works. probiotics never hurt but if this continues on a plain food then you can discuss flagyl with your vet. if the Pecid isn't working then call and ask if you can discontinue it. 40mg a day is a high dose.

have you considered either Iams or Purina Pro Plan Focus. I would stay away from the fish blends. either chicken or lamb.

felix just went thru a bout of noxious gas(traveling, stress of lost of partner hound). we tried pecid first- no luck, changed to a week of flagyl, that did the trick in less than 24 hrs.

Most gas is caused by either too high a protein percentage in the food, or an allergy/intolerance to an ingredient. Most greyhounds don't do well on anything more than about 20-25% protein, and the most common intolerances are to chicken, beef, and corn. Fish-based dry foods are suspect as well, either because of too high a protein or too high a fat content.

Many greyhounds do well on Pro Plan formulas, Iams in the green bag, or the Kirkland/Costco food formulas. Since she's having trouble on fish-based food, I would try a different protein source, keeping in mind that it could be some other aspect of the food that's upsetting her system. A probiotic is always a good idea, too. In the racing kennels they use buttermilk or goat's milk, but you can try adding yogurt (takes a lot longer than powdered probiotics to make an effect and some dogs are lactose intolerant), or other powder/capsule canine formulas. FortiFlora is the standard, it works but it's expensive, so explore your options.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest shawnee124

My Greyhound refused food for two days ...she looked so miserable. I think that's the reason behind a higher dose of the Pepcid AC...right after I started giving it to my Grey..she started eating within an hour of the 20mg dose..she eats like a horse now...but the gas is bad. I'm going to start her on anti gas meds. Do you know what dose of Pepcid she should be given. .She's 70lbs..thank you!!

Ps...the protein is 26%..fat is 14%

Edited by shawnee124

Guest shawnee124

Thanks to all of you for your advice..I appreciate it so much...Hopefully I'll get to the bottom of the problem..I love my Grey with all of my heart..she is acting like a puppy right now because Chewy.com delivered even more toys today!!♡

• 4 weeks later...

We've had our boy for just over a week. At first I didn't notice any gassiness, but now, omg. But I think the culprit might be cheese. His currency is American cheese. It's the yummiest treat and we've been using it to work on the stairs. Two days ago it was really bad and we'd gotten him upstairs with cheese. Yesterday no cheese and I didn't smell anything. Today, stairs again with cheese and he stinks. So I'm hoping that's what it is, because we can limit that or maybe try to find some other treat he'll go for. So far he's not very interested in traditional dog treats and he turned down a hot dog, which is the other thing I've heard suggested.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Vahwk

this may help,, plain yogurt.. the good stuff.. not with sugar or added sweetners...

just plain yogurt.. maybe a teaspoon with a meal or after a meal each day.. helps digestion which helps stop gas

this may help,, plain yogurt.. the good stuff.. not with sugar or added sweetners...

just plain yogurt.. maybe a teaspoon with a meal or after a meal each day.. helps digestion which helps stop gas

This is what I used with Ruby while trying to find a food she liked and didn't make her explode. I gave her a small scoop with both meals and she loved it. I still give it to her as a treat, but she hasn't had gas in ages. She is on ProPac grain free (red bag) that we get on Amazon. She loves it.

Karen

Our Grey had terrible gas and was eating a grain-free food. Someone else recommended switching to Nutro Ultra and since the switch, the smelly gas has disappeared. I would check the ingredients and try to see how many you can identify that may be contributing to the smell. Good Luck!

OWNER OF "KEEPER INTREPID" & "WIND AS WITNESS"