Deworming Protocol/article

I remember seeing a long article recently that included a deworming protocol for getting rid of tough hooks. I thought maybe Dennis McKeon had written it, but I can't locate it anywhere. I'd like to pass it along to a client if I can find it. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, please share the link! Thanks.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I am on my 3rd go around with my foster. After vetting in October ,fecal came back 5+ . Went home with 5 measured baggies of Panacur powder for day 1 with topical Advantage Multi. Day 2 gets a baggy of panacur on his breakfast and 3ml of liquid Ivermectin. Day 3,4,5 each get a baggy of Panacur. This is repeated in 2 weeks then a fecal check. We have done this routine 3 times mow and got the fecals to 1+.Our vet has been consulting University of Fla and hooks are just resistant to drugs.

Talk to Aimee - they've got one they've been using in MN for the FL dogs coming in who have tough hooks.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest goofydog2

This isn't the article you are looking for, however it has been working for SEGA and hounds coming up from FL. The SEGA kennel manager(Eda Holt) has gone through several different variations and landed on this as the best and most effective treatment for the current infestation in incoming dogs:

"Start with Drontal Plus upon arrival, we Ivomec one week later. 3 weeks later we give Panacur 3 days in a row. Another Panacur round of 3, three weeks later. Meanwhile giving Ivomec once weekly. Believe it or not this is not getting it in all of the dogs some of them have to continue on with another drontal plus sometimes another drontal Plus and some end up getting a proheart shot! They're awful!"

Hope this helps with your current issues.

Donna Deskin with T-Legs also has a protocol they've been following. It uses strongid, I believe, along with just about everyting else. You can PM her here or find her on Facebook.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Also not what you requested, but this is what my vet received from the greyhound program at Ohio State. I will confess that he has thrown up from the Drontal twice. I'm getting a fecal analysis on 2/10. We're going to keep going with this plan and I'm going to try breaking the Drontal into small doses given throughout the day. Drontal makes my hound crazy, can't sleep, can't relax, etc.

FROM OSU:

We have had success using monthly topical Advantage Multi, followed by within 24 hrs an appropriate dose of Drontal Plus. Not sure why it works. We used 6 greyhounds, one with >1 yr history of hooks. In several dogs it took up to 3 months for them to go negative whereas others went negative (no ova detected) sooner. At least twice over the 9 month trial, two owners did not follow the 30 day/monthly dosing and their dogs went positive again. We hope to get this work published as we have just finished the clinical trial. The dogs will remain on the Advantage Multi without the Drontal Plus to see if we can keep them negative.

Thanks for all of the input. Still hoping someone recalls what I am talking about and points me toward it, but this is all helpful. I also came across a thread on FB last night that seems to indicate that hooks seem to be resistant to meds, but maybe in particular Drontal. It seems people are having success with Moxidectin, which is one of the two main ingredients in Advantage Multi so it makes sense that a lot of the newer protocols you are mentioning use it.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Following along in case the negative fecal we got in December was a false negative. Heard one of the other dogs from this haul still has hooks, so dropped off another fecal yesterday just to be sure. Im hoping that with the winter, anything in the yard will be dead now.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Thanks for all of the input. Still hoping someone recalls what I am talking about and points me toward it, but this is all helpful. I also came across a thread on FB last night that seems to indicate that hooks seem to be resistant to meds, but maybe in particular Drontal. It seems people are having success with Moxidectin, which is one of the two main ingredients in Advantage Multi so it makes sense that a lot of the newer protocols you are mentioning use it.

My kids got hooks from a dog that was staying with us. I fought them for months and then tried Moxidectin. It works very well. Two doses and we are all clear. It kills the eggs as well as the worms.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Willow( Hi Tech Popandgo ) CGC #31965 Calico Salad x MayPop 8-9-93/9-24-07 Austin( Nodak Austin ) #55202 Chrisse's Twelve x Lotsa Liz 2-25-96/2-15-05 Matt( Kelsos Metaphor ) #90695 Oswald Cobblepot x Kelso's Movita 8-10-00/2-28-14 Buddy (Aljo Class Act) #78137 Action By Design x Miss Classy 12-8-98/8-29-09 Sonny (Onaim Excalibur)#97927 Flying Train x Rough Diamond 9-7-01/1-9-2016Hunter (SS Snow Roll) #35135 Craigie Whistler x Lightning Snow 10-4-2005/9-23-17 Leo (Yolo Empleo)#72060 4-13-18 Fiesta Paraguas x Mega Bien Hecho