Non Grey Puppy Not Eating Off And On

We have a 8 month old half poodle, half American Eskimo puppy who has all of a sudden decided to not eat every now and then. I talked to the vet and he said to try offering her other foods, as she has to eat regularly while still developing. This morning she didn't eat a thing, so I offered her canned dog food, and she didn't take a bite. I fed her again early afternoon, and again, not a bite. Tonight I tried her kibble again, nothing. She is drinking, behavior is normal, pooping and peeing normally. This happened a few days ago too, but she ended up throwing up in the afternoon, so I assumed her tummy was upset. She has done this about 5 days in the last couple of months. She got half of a small treat for potty. Total of 3 mini treats all day.

Is this normal for a puppy ? She weighs about 14 lbs, so I get worried she is going to starve to death. How long is OK to wait for her to eat ? She does tend to have a sensitive tummy, and I know that she has not eaten anything she shouldn't. Ideas ? advice ? We are new to puppies.

Karen

My family adopted a 3 month old mix breed puppy from a shelter when I was a kid. She sometimes wouldn't eat and had digestive issues like vomiting and diarrhea but we didn't think it was happening often enough to worry and we were also not the best first time dog owners.

A few months later, we were on vacation and the friend watching our dog was an experienced owner and ended up taking our dog to the vet for us and we found that my dog had an issue with her pancreas. (Possibly pancreatitis, but I was only 8 at the time so I don't exactly remember)

This was just my one time experience but I think it's worth having some testing done to find out if there's an underlying issue.

Sarah with P Kay Ruger "Rogue"

gc2Re0q.jpg?2

Any chance your puppy ate a non-food item that is causing a partial blockage?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

At this point she should still be a little stomach with a mouth and eating everything in sight to keep up with her growth. Not eating for several days isn't a good sign. Did the vet do any bloodwork? Indicate an ultrasound might be in order? Anything remarkable on physical exam of her abdomen?

If she'll take treats but not eat her regular food that indicates to me she feels nauseous. Something is going on, especially if this isn't the first episode. She needs to go back to the vet.

In the meantime, see if she'll eat some homecooking - scrambled eggs and cheese, low fat protein like boiled/roasted chicken or rinsed ground beef with overcooked rice or pasta, a small can of tuna in water with some pasta. Give her really small portions - for her size just a tablespoon or two - out on a plate or people food bowl. If that stays down for an hour, try some more. You can lightly heat it in the microwave but don't make it too hot. At this point, it's really whatever she'll eat.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

At this point she should still be a little stomach with a mouth and eating everything in sight to keep up with her growth. Not eating for several days isn't a good sign. Did the vet do any bloodwork? Indicate an ultrasound might be in order? Anything remarkable on physical exam of her abdomen?

If she'll take treats but not eat her regular food that indicates to me she feels nauseous. Something is going on, especially if this isn't the first episode. She needs to go back to the vet.

In the meantime, see if she'll eat some homecooking - scrambled eggs and cheese, low fat protein like boiled/roasted chicken or rinsed ground beef with overcooked rice or pasta, a small can of tuna in water with some pasta. Give her really small portions - for her size just a tablespoon or two - out on a plate or people food bowl. If that stays down for an hour, try some more. You can lightly heat it in the microwave but don't make it too hot. At this point, it's really whatever she'll eat.

Great advice from all of you. No, she has not eaten anything that she shouldn't have, as we vacuum daily (thanks to our Ruby Grey who sheds like a woolly mammoth) and she stays right by our side.

I do think she suffers nausea, and has since we got her. She vomits easily, and almost always does in the car. We took her for a drive yesterday afternoon, and luckily she didn't vomit. This morning she would not take a bite of her kibble again. She has peed and pooped twice this morning, so I don't feel there is a blockage. I fed her 4 small bites of chicken, which she gobbled down. Now hoping it stays down. She is wild and crazy playing this morning, so she has good energy. If she throws up the chicken, we will go to the ER vet today. If not, I will be taking her in tomorrow for a check up and blood work. See what he thinks. I collected her poop from this morning, but am not sure how long I can keep it refrigerated. If she goes again, I will grab a fresher sample.

Wondering if it could be worms that cause nausea ? She is on a monthly worming pill, so I am thinking that isn't it, but I have no idea.

Karen

She has kept the chicken down for 3 hours, so I just gave her a large T of Cottage cheese and she gobbled that down. I was doing some researching and it says poodles can have sensitive tummies and that cottage cheese and yogurt can calm them down. Hoping she keeps it down, she loved it .

Karen

Jesse was acting lethargic this afternoon and did not come out of her bed when we would enter the room. I ended up taking her to the emergency vet, who did an exam and X-ray. He found she has an enlarged esophagus, and she had a lot of gas in her bowels. He could see the food she was given this morning, and is worried she may have eaten some thread, string, stuffing.........which is likely as she is a tag chewer. They are going to repeat her x-ray tonight at 10 PM, to see if the food has emptied out of her tummy, and if not, it looks like she may have surgery for a blockage. She is drinking water well, and they kept her and have her on an IV to keep her hydrated. Prayers and good thoughts please.

Karen

Jesse's last x ray looked better and her food had passed down to where it should be. She ate at the ER vet and kept it down, so I got to bring my little munch home tonight. She is on Carafate to coat her tummy for 5 days, and they really have no idea what was going on, but think it was a small blockage that passed. Will be watching her closely the next few days, but she is cuddled up sound asleep in my bed.

Goodnight all. Thank you

Karen

I hope Jesse continues to feel better. :clover

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png