Common Behaviour Or Weird Habit?

Guest Sund00d

Guest Sund00d

Before I begin this I just want to say that I have no idea if this is common greyhound behaviour. I have seen owners discuss roaching, jumping, etc, many times but have never heard anyone discuss this particular behaviour, so if it is normal please let me know!

Weve had our girl nikki for almost 3 months now and she has settled in quite nicely, however whenever she gets excited she gets very handsy with us. It usually happens when we come home, first she will jump us on us to great us, then the will get on the couch so we can play with her. However when she lays or sits down she will fling all her legs around wildly, or push all of them against our body. Its not a huge deal but after coming home everyday and having four, strong, pointy greyhound legs poked into your back/chest/face/arms, for 5 minutes straight, it gets old fast, shes even strong enough to push us off the couch while doing it. We dont know what to do about it.

If we take her legs and move them off us, shell push them right back, and if we stand up and leave, she will follow us and pester us until we give her attention.

Is this something everyones greys do that ill just have to get used to?? Or is our girl a bit uh.. special?

Totally normal, albeit potentially annoying, behavior. I don't know why they do this. I'm guessing it's just an attention getting device. If you find it annoying, say something like "uh, oh", get up and walk away, ignoring her demands for attention until she calms down.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Yes, normal, especially in a young dog. She is playing. If you can put up with it for a few minutes to let her get it out of her system, then try saying something like “that’s enough” “done now” or whatever you like, I say ”no mas” : lol, then ignore her until she settles down, even if you have to get up and turn your back on her. She’ll catch on pretty fast.

Normal. I've always thought that greyhounds are part boxer for how much they use their paws and feet!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I love hearing the thump thump when mine is playing around with his stuffies. Very animated with their feet. If sleeping with me I very often get kicked awake because of his dreaming. They just like to touch. :) Keep in mind, they are home all day and don't have an outlet, while you have many other things to keep you busy.... it's her way of playing and asking for some attention but it is pretty normal.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Normal. As far as how to stop the behavior, pushing her away will only encourage her. In her mind, you're just playing with her the same way she's playing with you. The best thing you can do is ignore it and then interact with her once it stops, or redirect her to playing with a toy, etc. until she calms down. If you go with the ignoring option, you may have to go into another room, like the bathroom and shut the door for 20 seconds. Repeat ad nauseum until she's not jumping on you when you come out. I personally think it's better, and less frustrating for the dog, if you redirect her to a toy or a game of tug, or just put her leash on and take her straight out for a walk or run in the yard. When you come back in she'll be a bit calmer and you may be able to engage in play without all of the pawsiness. ;)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Both of mine have used their feet to sort of "wave" me over for lovies and both have stuck out a foot to stop me in my tracks for a belly rub. This has caused more than a few DRI's (Dog Related Injuries) when the little brats have caught me off guard. :gh_bow:broke

Edited by LaFlaca

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".