Slice Outside Rear Knee

just checking in, i already looked up tear in knee. http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/284152-to-stitch-or-not-to-stitch/?hl=%2Btear+%2Bknee

annie bounded into the forsyntia/bamboo area and came back w/ a good 3" slice to her outer rear knee. a slight bruise below it. when i washed it off w/ plain warm water i noticed(ewww...) the skin below it looks slightly degloved..... ewww.....degloving grosses me out. i gently cleaned it went to apply triple antibiotic ointment and stopped, i don't think so. i covered the knee w/ a clean sock, toe cut off and took out the trusty vet wrap and cooked up some saline solution, sea salt and water, which is cooling. keeping a bandage on a knee is next to impossible but i would like to keep the blood stains limited. there is no skin to adhere together and from what i have read it's an impossible place to stitch anyway.

question????:from what i remember, (the dogs have not done anything stupid and bloody lately) saline should promote the healing process and i'll try to keep this as clean as possible. is this kosher?anything else? another black scar for annie....i just hope the skin under the tear does die!!!!

thanks in advance for your home remedies. the vet will not be able to do anything but maybe bandage it anyway.

Shine just did the same thing to the inside of her knee. It scabbed nicely and then she licked it open. Now it is twice the size. She is driving me crazy with it. Hope your girl is better with it than mine.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Manuka honey slathered on the wound. Non stick pad wrap with gauze, then the sock. Vet wrap to hold the sock way above and below the injured area. Good luck!

Yup.

You may have to get very creative with the vetwrap.

Nigel had a nasty wound on his neck/shoulder last year and I ended up using duct tape to hold sections of vetwrap in place.

:goodluck

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

thanks about the honey suggestion. it's ok on raw skin? the nonstick gauze i have, i should be able to stabilize the area with a small sock and lots of vet wrap. it seems that the hock will hold the bandage in place and it's just a tad below the knee, right where the veins start showing and the skin thins out....

looking better!!! the area at the bottom of the wound was not attached, now it is. she's still a tad swollen below the wound, but not licking, biting.it's snowing, so, getting out for some honey will be a challenge. the closets trader joe's is 30 min away and all uphill. saline solution, 2-3xs daily for now.24852540_1699283206757655_11183179775466

Bitter Yuck spray, not Bitter Apple. Not all pet supply places carry it so call ahead.

Even just having her stand in the tub and gently running warm water over it for several minutes is good.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

will try the tape, i did that on annie's front leg a while ago and thought about it. but there's so little fur there that i figured i'll just watch and wait. right now the two are in comatose condition. this year the snow is not as enjoyable. the saline is basically the same as what you mentioned ducky. my father was prone to ulcers on his ankle as a result of a bad break when he was hit my a car. saline was just about the best healing solution he found. i even have some squirt bottles that he used for irrigation.

as to stitchable- all the skin was ripped off, no way can that be pinched together. a good old fashioned abrasion.

but thanks everyone.....

Nutmeg came in from the back yard one evening, shook her head, and created an instant crime scene. Somehow, she had degloved an entire ear and was supremely unconcerned about it. I put Neosporin on it for the night and took her into the vet the next morning. Vet said ointment was not good for it, that it needed air. Of course no stitching or bandaging was possible even if we could have turned her into Nutmeg Van Gogh. Vet said just keep it clean with warm water and predicted fur would never grow back. It was fine. It took 5-6 days, as I remember, to have it completely dry up from the edges in. She eventually got fur recovering most of it except for one almost unnoticeable shiny spot.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Nutmeg came in from the back yard one evening, shook her head, and created an instant crime scene. Somehow, she had degloved an entire ear and was supremely unconcerned about it. I put Neosporin on it for the night and took her into the vet the next morning. Vet said ointment was not good for it, that it needed air. Of course no stitching or bandaging was possible even if we could have turned her into Nutmeg Van Gogh. Vet said just keep it clean with warm water and predicted fur would never grow back. It was fine. It took 5-6 days, as I remember, to have it completely dry up from the edges in. She eventually got fur recovering most of it except for one almost unnoticeable shiny spot.

good to hear, the edges are drying up. keeping it clean and my gut response not to apply a triple antibiotic ointment was right.

• 2 weeks later...