Need Advice On A Crappy Situation

tra708

Hi, it's been quite awhile since i've posted. i apologize for being one of those people who only posts when she needs something. wondering if others have been through this.

Lola is 13 1/2. Her back end is very weak, but otherwise she's pretty happy. Every night for the last 2 years, she's been waking me up in the middle of the night to take her out to pee and poop.

I got used to it, and it was better than waking up to a mess.

But now, she seems to be too weak or old or tired to get out of her bed to come get me.

So now, she just poops in the bed and lays in it, so in the morning i have a big cleanup of the bed and her back end. You get the idea.

Is this just par for the course? I have never had one live long enough to be in this situation.

It is getting out of hand...i have to go to work, not to mention the $$ I've spent on dog beds. And I'm sure it makes her uncomfortable and bummed out.

I already tried a Molly Mutt bed, with the waterproof liner on the inside. She didn't like it and wouldn't sleep on it.

I would really appreciate if you'd share any ideas or things that have worked for you.

much thanks,

tracy

2rqyqhd.jpg

When Piper was struggling with similar issues, I bought disposable bed pads--the ones used for incontinent humans. That won't necessarily keep Lola clean but it will keep the bed clean, and therefore make cleanup easier for you. I also wonder if it would be worth setting an alarm for 1:00ish, since that has been her designated time to go out, and getting her up and taking her out? Or at least being up then to clean up the bed or bed pad if she's already relieved herself, quick, before she moves around in it and dirties herself. I'm sorry both of your are facing this.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

She doesn't even know she's doing it, so trying to be proactive about getting her empty will help. She may be *trying* to get up, and the poop falls out, so she lays back down to sleep. Depending on what's wrong, gabapentin can sometimes help with nerve issues like this. Make sure you give it at least every 8 hours and not every 12, per Dr Couto.

Hospital pads and/or puppy pads under her bum will keep the mess off the bed. I've also wrapped the inner bed cushion with a large plastic garbage bad - though if she's picky the crinkly sound might put her off. One of those plastic table cloths with the flannel backing will work for a few washings until it cracks too.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

She can't help it like Greysmom says. The routine though may still help.

What I did with my last dog who reached 14 was get child's cot mattress pads and cut them in half.

We had a Great Dane who went like that with back end weakness from LS and then incontinence. Now this dog was an excessively clean girl and just hated being soiled, the spark of enjoying life went out of her eyes and it was clearly time to let her go. There is no blame in this at all if the dog is distressed by the incontinence issues.

No advice, just hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Just in case it might help -- When one of ours got to that point in life, we changed his food to something lower residue (more meat and a little rice, rather than kibble). That reduced the number of times per day that turds snuck on out.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Sorry to hear about Lola. They are just like humans and have the same problems in aging. My gal San Tan Snuggles was incontinent when she first came home after being diagnosed with GME. I would put down a shower curtain, doggie pad over that and human bed pads. She too hated this problem, but I never ever let her know how hard it was to care for. I only had her 14 months in total after adopting her with just getting over a broken leg she got while racing. She had several conditions off hand and that was okay. She was my heart dog. You just gotta do what is best for you and her. Snuggles was on a lot of medications and they made her go more often. Every two hours. I feed my current greys chicken, turkey, fish and no kibbles, Kirkland bones from Costco, Chicken/Apple chips from Costco and Chicken Nyla edible bones we get at Costco twice a year, about three dozen bags. Their poo is pretty nice, not too hard to pass and unless they eat grass or such, not runny. They love ice cream, milk and other human treats. Lola is lucky to have you to care for her. I pray that you get some quality time together before she crosses over the bridge. Hugs.

My GH Sonny was like this the last several months. They don't seem to know that they are pooping in their sleep. You could get mattress pads to cover the dog beds, they are washable. You could get several and attach them like a pillow case, with clips , velcro; etc.

Willow( Hi Tech Popandgo ) CGC #31965 Calico Salad x MayPop 8-9-93/9-24-07 Austin( Nodak Austin ) #55202 Chrisse's Twelve x Lotsa Liz 2-25-96/2-15-05 Matt( Kelsos Metaphor ) #90695 Oswald Cobblepot x Kelso's Movita 8-10-00/2-28-14 Buddy (Aljo Class Act) #78137 Action By Design x Miss Classy 12-8-98/8-29-09 Sonny (Onaim Excalibur)#97927 Flying Train x Rough Diamond 9-7-01/1-9-2016Hunter (SS Snow Roll) #35135 Craigie Whistler x Lightning Snow 10-4-2005/9-23-17 Leo (Yolo Empleo)#72060 4-13-18 Fiesta Paraguas x Mega Bien Hecho