Supplement For Anal Gland Health

LaFlaca

Lola's been having mild problems emptying her anal glands. The vet taught me how to express the glands so that's not a problem. However, rather than put poor Lola through this uncomfortable procedure so often, I've been researching a more natural approach. Dietary changes helped a bit but she still has a problem emptying. I've just ordered a supplement called "Scoot Ease" from www.entirelypets.com. It's a chewable that contains pumpkin, psyllium husk, salmon oil and other good stuff. Just thought I'd share with my GT family.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

have you tried just adding psyllium husk to her food. the firmer the stool, the more likely her glands will empty.

dried beets and psyllium are the go-to here for firm stools when needed.

I thought of that but how much would I give her? She weighs 68 lbs.

I've been adding canned pumpkin, but it's not enough to do the job.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

I thought of that but how much would I give her? She weighs 68 lbs.

I've been adding canned pumpkin, but it's not enough to do the job.

Pumpkin here leads to soft stools. Go figure.

Start with a 1/2 teaspoon per meal. Increase (by 1/4 tsp) if the stools do not firm or bulk up after 72 hours. Add about a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water to her food too, just to make sure she's got some liquid for it to bulk with.

If she has kidney disease, talk to your vet first. Because psyllium absorbs water in the colon, it can be contraindicated.

Just give your vet a shout too, to let them know you're starting psyllium just so that they can note her charts for frequency or reduction in frequency in visits for expression.

Good luck.

Pumpkin here leads to soft stools. Go figure.

Start with a 1/2 teaspoon per meal. Increase (by 1/4 tsp) if the stools do not firm or bulk up after 72 hours. Add about a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water to her food too, just to make sure she's got some liquid for it to bulk with.

If she has kidney disease, talk to your vet first. Because psyllium absorbs water in the colon, it can be contraindicated.

Just give your vet a shout too, to let them know you're starting psyllium just so that they can note her charts for frequency or reduction in frequency in visits for expression.

Good luck.

Sounds good. I will let her vet know about the addition to Lola's diet. Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

Many clinicians feel diet/stool has nothing to do with the anal glands-needing firm stool to help express the glands as the dog passes stool was only a theory which is being questioned now. A newer train of thought is it may be more allergy related.

Interesting...thanks for sharing.

Can you provide any source to this information? I'm not doubting it, but it sure sounds interesting.

Many clinicians feel diet/stool has nothing to do with the anal glands-needing firm stool to help express the glands as the dog passes stool was only a theory which is being questioned now. A newer train of thought is it may be more allergy related.

Edited by Zoomdoggie

Hm. Heyokha was having an issue with his a while back, but he's been perfect since I switched food brands to Fromm's. Interesting.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

That is very interesting. Thank you for sharing.

That is very interesting. My italian greyhound needs to be expressed about every 3-4 months. Of all my dogs, his poop is consistently firm and bouncy.

Tbhounds, what might the allergy be? Slight hijack here, but he had a massive amount of sodium urate crystals in his bladder that my vet said could be food related. Any allergy correlation?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

That is very interesting. My italian greyhound needs to be expressed about every 3-4 months. Of all my dogs, his poop is consistently firm and bouncy.

Tbhounds, what might the allergy be? Slight hijack here, but he had a massive amount of sodium urate crystals in his bladder that my vet said could be food related. Any allergy correlation?

Sorry just seeing this now. Allergies could be food or environmental (seasonal or year round).

I’ve expressed many a dogs ag’s thst have bouncing off the floor firm stool. There are many reasons for excessive built up-the excretion being too thick, the ducts being stenotic (narrow), allergies (which may explain excessive built up in the fall for example) and just plain idiopathic-we just don’t know why.

Dogs that are expressed too often can form inflamed ag’s causing further excessive secretion essentially causing a continuous cycle.

Ducky-urates? That’s a Dalmatian problem ;-). I assume the urine was very concentrated and acidic? I would have a hard time believing that is allergy related.