Slumber Ball Problems?

After about 6 weeks of LOVING his Slumber Ball more than anything but food, Ewan started limping when he got out of it. We thought his foot or leg was going to sleep. It didn't happen every time. Then the issue got worse in a way that made us think it had nothing to do with the bed, but that he was hurt. We took the bed away for a couple of days, things got better. Put it back, things got worse. Took it up and didn't put it back, and he fully recovered after several days and has been just fine in the month since.

Has anyone else had issues with the bed just not being right for your pup — and/or with it actually causing joint or nerve issues?

We keep wanting to let him try it again since he had no noticeable problems other than severe addiction for the first 6 weeks. But I also hate to think that something started right away and it just took a while to build up and present to us in a noticeable way. I'm also wondering if we simply got the wrong size. We went with the largest, but maybe it's too big and creates more of a big divot, making it tougher for him to move around. I would hesitate to go to the trouble of trying the same style in a different size, though, given the hassle and expense if it's not right, even if we could return it right away.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

sb2.jpg

Lisa

Dog mama to angel-boy Ewan (racing name Atascocita Ewan), 3/26/10 to 8/23/20, and angel-girl Asta (racing name Pazzo Asta), 6/16/01 to 9/7/13.

The so-called "orthopedic" beds are made like they are for just this reason: when you have arthritic joints, they do best in a position that allows them to fully rest. If you're sprawling out, legs every which way, I know for myself it's easy to sleep in a way that makes me stiff in the morning.

Assume he is fine after a few minutes of walking it off, I wouldn't worry too much. You can't make arthritis WORSE by sleeping in funky ways.

Then there is my other school of thought: for my own peace of mind, because it's a greyhound, I might be inclined to go get some x-rays. Assuming they're clear of that-which-shall-not-be-named, I'd let him enjoy it.

Edited to make sense! Sorry. Couple of typos in the first sentence.

Edited by GeorgeofNE

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I would be more inclined to think that there is something going on that needs to be checked. Maybe just arthritis or a strain, and it could be that the way the dog sleeps (positions) exacerbates whatever is going on. I can't see any reason to think that a bed is the actual cause though. A thorough vet check or visit to a vet orthopedist might be appropriate if it is ongoing.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I'm a vote for x-rays. My boy Tigger started yelping and limping getting out of his Slumberball in March 2016. I thought maybe his foot was catching in the fabric. I thought it was the bed.

It wasn't.

ETA: To keep the loose fabric of the cover from snagging Tigger's feet, I put a regular bed on top of the Slumberball. He could step onto that and not have his feet sink into the stuffing and fabric. He loved his King of the Hill bed.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I wouldn't say it would be the "cause" of the problems, but I do think the bed could exasperate an existing issue just because the sleeping position is different than what they have been used to.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

My big boy has arthritis and some disk issues on his neck. He used to sleep on large, plush beds but now prefers the orthopedic hard, foam bed or the carpeted floor where it is very flat.

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.

Thanks so much for all the great food for thought. Just as I was about to haul him into the vet's office while having the issues, he improved so much w/o the bed that I was persuaded that it WAS the bed. But checking in with our vet is a good idea.

I'm a vote for x-rays. My boy Tigger started yelping and limping getting out of his Slumberball in March 2016. I thought maybe his foot was catching in the fabric. I thought it was the bed.

It wasn't.

ETA: To keep the loose fabric of the cover from snagging Tigger's feet, I put a regular bed on top of the Slumberball. He could step onto that and not have his feet sink into the stuffing and fabric. He loved his King of the Hill bed.

Oh, sweet King of the Hill Tigger. I'm so sorry.

Lisa

Dog mama to angel-boy Ewan (racing name Atascocita Ewan), 3/26/10 to 8/23/20, and angel-girl Asta (racing name Pazzo Asta), 6/16/01 to 9/7/13.

After about 6 weeks of LOVING his Slumber Ball more than anything but food, Ewan started limping when he got out of it. We thought his foot or leg was going to sleep. It didn't happen every time. Then the issue got worse in a way that made us think it had nothing to do with the bed, but that he was hurt. We took the bed away for a couple of days, things got better. Put it back, things got worse. Took it up and didn't put it back, and he fully recovered after several days and has been just fine in the month since.

Has anyone else had issues with the bed just not being right for your pup — and/or with it actually causing joint or nerve issues?

We keep wanting to let him try it again since he had no noticeable problems other than severe addiction for the first 6 weeks. But I also hate to think that something started right away and it just took a while to build up and present to us in a noticeable way. I'm also wondering if we simply got the wrong size. We went with the largest, but maybe it's too big and creates more of a big divot, making it tougher for him to move around. I would hesitate to go to the trouble of trying the same style in a different size, though, given the hassle and expense if it's not right, even if we could return it right away.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

sb2.jpg

I see that Photobucket doesn't work here now (at least not without an upgrade). Here's a Dropbox link to a pic of Ewan on his Slumber Ball.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6tye27bbme7aoc9/sb2.jpg?dl=0

Lisa