Oatmeal Vs. Best Pulp

Guest Katieg123

Guest Katieg123

Hi,

I have an 11 year old greyhound who was recently suffering from diarrhea. He had a fecal and everything was clear- the vet believes it's his age and that he's more sensitive to food now since he's older. I began feeding a 1/2 c of cooked oatmeal a night as a snack (also switched to Proplan sensitive stomach) and this seems to help a TON- no more diarrhea for 4 days now! Question- does anyone know if there are drawbacks to feeding oatmeal daily? I make sure it's thoroughly cooked before feeding. Also, I have a friend with a grey who feeds beet pulp- anyone know about this? Benefits/drawbacks of pulp vs oatmeal?

Thanks!

Oatmeal gives my pups instant diarrhea! If it's working for you though, go with it! After age 10, they get anything that works! 😂

I've found that raw psyllium husks work better than beet bulp for us.

I think it's all about soluble fiber vs non soluble fiber. What works for one, won't work for all!

------

Jessica

There are scads of articles touting oatmeal for dogs. Beet pulp regulates the water in the intestines. Downside to it is that it comes in huge bags for horses. I believe Iams has more beet pulp than any other kibble and it worked for my colitis grey.

That said, I say if it ain't broke don't fix it..

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Every morning my campers all get some cooked oatmeal on their breakfast kibble, along with some cooked sweet potato.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Several people here use https://www.olewousa.com/ I use the beets just as an all around additive, not really for the dreaded D even though that's what it's mainly used for. Many people find great results with using the carrots as well.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Oatmeal in moderation is a fine addition to her diet. Many people use it as part of a bland food when their dogs are sick with tummy troubles. You should make sure you're using the whole bran, long-cooking version rather than instant to get the best nutrition and fiber.

Beet pulp is popular with people feeding horses and cows and it can be bought at feed stores in large quantities. If you want to try it, it's best to get some from a person who already has a big bag of it rather than purchasing the large quantity yourself before you know if it will help at all. It does need to be thoroughly rehydrated prior to giving it at a meal, so that can be another drawback. It's used as an additive to many commercial dog food brands, including the ever popular Iams green bag kibble, which is why that food works to control diarrhea in many dogs.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Beet pulp is popular with people feeding horses and cows and it can be bought at feed stores in large quantities. It does need to be thoroughly rehydrated prior to giving it at a meal, so that can be another drawback.

OK - you asked for it,, :);)

http://www.dressage.com/humor/2001/0330beet.htm

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

PAM!!!!!! :shakefinger

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

IMHO and experience - there are no drawbacks to feeding oatmeal as an additive to a healthy diet. There's not a lot of nutrition in it - but who cares if the dog has a healthy diet and it's serving its purpose. I had a dog that had perfect poops if I gave her 1/2 cup of cooked rice per day (she'd eaten the same food for years, but started getting loose poops as she aged). Tried a bunch of different foods, went back to the food she always did great on, added the rice, and tummy troubles gone. No harm, no foul. You're looking for fiber content at this point (I think) so, if it works, stick with it!