Harness For A Front Leg Amp

Adam had a front leg amputation about 4 weeks ago and is ready for more exercise. I want to be taking my boy for some nice walks but want the ability to help him if necessary (handle) and to make sure it is comfy (cushioned chest). With that in mind, I'm looking for a harness that has a handle and a cushioned area for the chest.

I looked at Ruff Harness and not seeing exactly what I would like. Does anyone have any suggestions ? Thx.

I have Julius K-9 harnesses for our girls. The chest strap isn't padded, but it is very adjustable, and the harness does have a handle. These are very well made & very sturdy. We went to an auto supply store & bought a seatbelt cover to go around the waist strap. We got a Size 1 for our girls (both about 65#). A website called Clean Run had the best prices on these.

When I was checking out the website, I see they have a new model called the Duo-Flex that has a padded triangle for the chest area. This might be better for your situation.

Here's their website: http://julius-k9.com/

Cricket

Cricket, mom to Mulligan (Kycera) and Xena (Kebo Tina Turner )

I'd look at a Help 'em Up harness, as it is designed specifically for this purpose. I borrowed one for Summit last year when we were going through his IVDD and surgery.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I use the Outward Hound pupboost lifter for my 13 year old front leg tripod. Only costs around $10. Lightweight, nice padding, has handles. You can get it on Amazon. It's just a close fitting sling. No complicated or uncomfortable buckles or straps. Check it out.

Edited by Neighsayer

This is what Pogo's oncologist recommended: https://www.amazon.com/EzyDog-Convert-Trail-Ready-Harness-Charcoal/dp/B008PDZ3NS

He has a front leg amputee.

You can also get this: https://www.amazon.com/EzyDog-Patch-Convert-Harness-Tripawd/dp/B00TR67AM4/ref=pd_sim_199_6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=PCZ4E4FR5EZWHR3DDCDS

We ordered both the harness and the patch for Pogo when we thought he had some neck issues, unfortunately, the harness arrived the day we had him put to sleep. Returned the harness but kept the patch. Someday I will do a shadow (memory) frame (I think that is what they are called?) for Pogo and the patch will be part of it.

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

Here's a link for the Upward Hound PupBoost harness on Chewy

https://www.chewy.com/outward-hound-pupboost-lift-harness/dp/113741

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Thanks for all the suggestions - I thought I had my mind made up for the Web master but the other suggestions were really great andit made the final decision that much harder. I finally decided on the Julius harness as I'm intrigued by the front tilt but, it was a close decision between that and the Ezy dog.

I already have a sling and have used that for the first weeks however, Adam has progressed past that. I wanted something to support his front weight just in case he gets tired on a walk and looking at the Web Master - that support was too near the middle of the dog. Turns out the Ezy and The Julius were exactly what I was looking for in that the support is closer to the shoulder blades.

Here is the link to what I decided on (and again, thanks for the options)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A9X5ZOO/ref=twister_dp_update?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The WebMaster works great for rear amps, but it uses the front legs for leverage and to keep the harness stable, so it doesn't work as well for front amps.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

The WebMaster works great for rear amps, but it uses the front legs for leverage and to keep the harness stable, so it doesn't work as well for front amps.

When I looked at all the options that were listed - it started to look like the center of gravity for the Web Master was the middle of the body and that follows with what you were saying -- it would work better with rear amps.

At first the Ezy & the Julius looked like they were not big enough to provide sufficient support however, after looking at them for more than 1 hour, I realized that I wanted the handle right near the shoulder blades like they had them. Whether it will work - don't know yet. It may rub against the suture line and cause irritation.

My Onyx (about 15 years ago) was a rear amp and it is a bit different in the adjustments that you make for daily functioning. For example, the front amp has the bobbing head and Adam had on a loose buckle collar with his tags - noticed today that when he is hopping, he is closing his eyes - the reason, his collar is moving too much and the tags are hitting near the eyes as the collar slides up and down his neck (one bad mom here - should have noticed that before).

Thanks for posting this, I have been trying to find something for Bowie, too. She had her right front leg amputated in Feb. The Ruffwear harness is too hot for walks. I just ordered the Julius IDC Powerharness #2 in aquamarine. Bowie is BIG for a girl. They were offering free patches with the harness, so since she's a broodie I ordered "Mama" patches! I also custom ordered a set of patches that say "F Cancer".

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Thanks for posting this, I have been trying to find something for Bowie, too. She had her right front leg amputated in Feb. The Ruffwear harness is too hot for walks. I just ordered the Julius IDC Powerharness #2 in aquamarine. Bowie is BIG for a girl. They were offering free patches with the harness, so since she's a broodie I ordered "Mama" patches! I also custom ordered a set of patches that say "F Cancer".

How is Bowie doing?

She's doing great! Has one more chemo to go the first week of August. She had a rough time with #4, some nausea even with Cerenia on board, so for #5 he added Zofran and she had no problems. She got an abraision at the base of her nail on a rear foot last week and it got nasty fast. The onco and her regular vet wanted to avoid antibiotics, so per her regular vet, I made a green tea saline rinse and rinsed it several times a day, wrapped it and put it in a greyhound sock. It's looking so much better. She's approaching her nadir, likely on Wed, and didn't want any infection when that hit.

How is Adam doing?

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Adam is doing OK. He has a slight sore between two of his back toes and it's not too bad but watching it to make sure it does not get worse.

I'm trying to get him out for short walks every day and he is doing real good - the surgeon said he needs to start exercising daily. I'm being careful as I don't want to get him tired or overheated - the new harness is not coming until the end of this week/beginning of next week.

His next chemo is Monday,

What are the ingredients of the green tea saline rinse - it might help Adam's sore.

Make 1 cup of green tea, add 1 teaspoon of sea salt and dissolve it in the tea. I use a curved syringe (for ears or teeth?) to spray it on her toe abraision, then I pat it dry. The saline dries it out, the green tea has anti inflammatory properties. It made a big difference overnight.

I'll stay walking her again after it heals up. The vet told me to keep her off of it as much as possible until it's better. I hope it works as well for that Adam, too.

MaryJane, did you get Adam's harness? I received Bowie's today. It's huge, it fits her, but it just seems so big. I don't like that the chest strap isn't padded, as Cricket57 noted, so I'm going to try cutting a sleeve from a shirt to cover it and see how that works. She's going to give it a whirl tomorrow for a trip to get acupuncture and to visit a friend.

How is Adam's booboo? The green tea saline rinse did the job, she's all better!

Edited by seeh2o

MaryJane, did you get Adam's harness? I received Bowie's today. It's huge, it fits her, but it just seems so big. I don't like that the chest strap isn't padded, as Cricket57 noted, so I'm going to try cutting a sleeve from a shirt to cover it and see how that works. She's going to give it a whirl tomorrow for a trip to get acupuncture and to visit a friend.

How is Adam's booboo? The green tea saline rinse did the job, she's all better!

I got the harness 2 days ago and have used it for walks - loved it. It is exactly what I needed for walks as I no longer need to take his harness. If he gets tired, I can lift him a bit with the handle which I think is located perfectly. Since he is missing the front shoulder, the harness is a bit loose and I think as Neighsayer suggested, adding a thick sock will do the trick to provide a better fit and to cushion his chest.

Adam's booboo is better in that the toe is not red and inflamed except that now - the nail that was causing the irritation looks cracked - not sure how that happened.

Good to hear that the green tea worked for Bowie.

I do get the random GSOD from Adam lately - not sure what he is trying to do when it happens, so can't investigate it further.

How do you keep it from twisting around the chest? I don't want to make the lower strap tighter, but after about 10 steps, it's flying sideways on her. Geez, I think I need to buy the T chest strap to go with it to keep it from twisting around on her...or design a better harness for a front leg tripawd. I think something like this with a tuck strap like a spook harness to keep it in place might work. She wasn't real keen on it, when it twisted, she just stopped and waited for me to straighten it up. <sigh> I think they sent me the wrong color, too. I ordered aquamarine, got blue. Oy. I might just go back to walking her on a collar.

When is Adam giving you the GSOD?

Edited by seeh2o

Woohoo, didn't have to reinvent the wheel thanks to Long Dog Leather! They make slide on tag holders, it will fit on her tag collar!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/173623236/wrap-around-leather-dog-tag-silencer?ga_search_query=tag+holder&ref=shop_items_search_1

Now to figure out how to keep the harness from sliding around...

Edited by seeh2o

How do you keep it from twisting around the chest? I don't want to make the lower strap tighter, but after about 10 steps, it's flying sideways on her. Geez, I think I need to buy the T chest strap to go with it to keep it from twisting around on her...or design a better harness for a front leg tripawd. I think something like this with a tuck strap like a spook harness to keep it in place might work. She wasn't real keen on it, when it twisted, she just stopped and waited for me to straighten it up. <sigh> I think they sent me the wrong color, too. I ordered aquamarine, got blue. Oy. I might just go back to walking her on a collar.

When is Adam giving you the GSOD?

I'm sorry that the harness is not working out well for you.

The harness also starts to twist on Adam but, I do not have to adjust it that often. When we have been out, I might need to adjust once or twice. My main concern was having the handle so that I could use it to provide more support and that works excellent.