Adopting Our First Dog In August - Help Please!

Guest Yoshi

Guest Yoshi

We met and chose our new grey this morning and hoping to bring him home when we get home from holiday in August. He will be our first dog and I have found these boards great for thinking about the right dog for us and how we can start off in the best way with routines etc.

But ..... what (if anything) would you recommend getting ready before he comes? I am sorting out a quilt for him to sleep on and planning on ordering an ID tag....

Any advice and ideas welcome! (We're in the UK - Yorkshire).

You need a bed for him, soft and a little thicker because they easily get sores on their elbows. Water and food bow, lead and either collar or harness...

I just let a new grey arrive, give him time to look around and so all the things I would normally do and let him observe. And don't bd afraid if he goes straight for his new bed and sleeps for hours. All those new things are mentally exhausting.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Feeding bowls, bed, toys, chew things. good treats, collar and leash, flea, tic and heart worm protection and maybe a crate. Good luck.

Edited by Houndtime

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Apart from the necessary objects already mentioned:

Check you garden/yard thoroughly for escape points (eg. loose fences, raised banks to jump from). Check it for low sharp objects that can lacerate paper-thing greyhound skin or snag on a collar..

Put safe latches or bolts on gates and make sure everyone knows the gate has to be closed properly regardless of how busy they are or what they're carrying.

Institute door safety from the moment you bring him home. Think dog before answering visitors. Sometimes it pays to baby-gate areas.

Masking tape X-s on glass doors and low windows please... you can remove them after a few days when he knows glass is a solid barrier.

TV Remotes, Phones and other hand held electrical devices up off the coffee table. Chocolates and grapes away in the fridge (always).

Learn that the collar must be tight when walking out and that a Martingale collar, when correctly adjusted, is impossible for them to jink backwards out of.

They're OK with a thick folded comforter in a liner for a bed, but often prefer a big soft nest bed with a cushion topped with some vetbed.

Uhm, pretty much everything!

Highly recommend you do some reading. Greyhounds for Dummies is an excellent place to start.

You need a bed, food dishes, food, a first aid kit--

Everything you need when you have a dog!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Institute door safety from the moment you bring him home. Think dog before answering visitors. Sometimes it pays to baby-gate areas.

Masking tape X-s on glass doors and low windows please... you can remove them after a few days when he knows glass is a solid barrier.

Learn that the collar must be tight when walking out and that a Martingale collar, when correctly adjusted, is impossible for them to jink backwards out of.

I agree with the first statement. The very first training I do with a new dog is to start teaching him "wait" near the doors. It's not very hard, just takes a little repetition and patience.

I have a few quibbles with the other statements, though. For some dogs, you can remove the tape once they know the glass is there. But other dogs... let me just say that I had to buy window stickers after we'd had our greys for at least 3 years, after one night Capri came running in the door without realizing it was closed. (It was light in the room, but dark outside, so from her perspective - coming in - there was no barrier there.) Painters tape is not my preferred interior decor, so I got something similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/Dandelion-Flying-White-Window-sticker/dp/B01DCRCIIE/ref=pd_sbs_263_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01DCRCIIE&pd_rd_r=K1828G16ECX4QCEPRT0V&pd_rd_w=cSFZG&pd_rd_wg=3Gcyp&psc=1&refRID=K1828G16ECX4QCEPRT0V It's subtle and attractive but still functions to show them when the door is closed.

Also, don't put his collar on tight. His collar should be correctly fitted. Also, martingales are not impossible to back out of. A paniced dog can pretty easily squirm out of one even correctly fitted. If the new dog seems at all skittish, I recommend either a wiggles wags and whiskers no pull harness or a spook harness.

Most importantly for the OP, I'd say to just relax and give yourself plenty of time to get to know your new baby. You're engaging in a multi-year journey of building a deep relationship/bond with another intelligent creature. Relax and enjoy the process and the journey.

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Check with the adoption centre whether he comes with a 'trousseau' - I know our local greyhound rescue provides a homing kit with tag and walking collars, winter coat, food bowl etc. They also send you home with a bag of the food they use to help prevent tummy upsets.

Yes a nice thick double duvet makes a good bed - folded into four there is still lots of room for the greyhound to stretch out, and the covers are easy to launder too.

Don't forget to get in a toy or so! Squeaky fluffy toys are usually the most popular with greyhounds. Though he may not want to play until he settles in.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

It's such a lovely thing to do. We've had our new addition 6 weeks and she's settling amazingly. (We're UK based too). We had bowls (raised) and a crate with double duvets in when we first got her - she came with a lead, indoor collar and outdoor collar. The crate hardly gets used at all now as she sleeps on the sofa but it is still her safe place to go to when she's unsure. We also have children and it is a set-in-stone rule that they do not touch her when she's in her crate. It's also useful if there is a lot of coming and going at the front door (e.g. bringing in shopping) to be able to put her in her crate for 20 minutes.

The other useful thing is a whistle - we are whistle training. There's a lot of feeling that greyhounds shouldn't be let off the lead but I have an inherrant fear that whether we let her go or not, one day she will escape and if she is whistle trained at least we have some sort of chance of getting her back. She LOVES dried spratts (bleurgh, the smell!). Get used to being hyper vigilant about the door.

Oh - and dog pooh bags :)

Have fun - I have not been as excited since childhood as I was the week before we went to the sanctuary - I couldn't keep still. (But then the following week I was completely "oh-my-word-what-on-earth-have-we-done" - that passed in about a week/10 days but it might be worth knowing apparently it's a normal thing!). I'm sure you'll love it - ours is just so lovely to have around the house.

Raised feeder

The same or similar kibble to what the pup has been on

Blanket for crate, remember to put a towel under crate

POOP BAGS for walkies

Appointment for a well check up at vet

Bed,toys,etc will come shortly. The new pups feel most secure in their crates. If you have a Costco their beds are the best bang for your buck.

ENJOY!

Edited by cleptogrey

Raised feeder

The same or similar kibble to what the pup has been on

Blanket for crate, remember to put a towel under crate

POOP BAGS for walkies

Appointment for a well check up at vet

Bed,toys,etc will come shortly. The new pups feel most secure in their crates. If you have a Costco their beds are the best bang for your buck.

ENJOY!

Just to say, crates are rarely used for greyhounds in the UK - either before or after adoption. Racers live in kennels - usually two together in a double one with a raised bed at one end - conditions at our greyhound rescue are similar. So it's not a famiiar refuge in the same way as in the US, where the dogs do live in crates I know.

Again, if OP does want to try a crate while the dog settles in the rescue may be able to lend one. But our houses are smaller so a greyhound-sized one can be an awkward thing to accommodate!

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Related to putting visual markers on glass doors---also put them on screen doors, if you've got a patio door. After we moved, one of our dogs walked straight into the sliding patio screen and unfortunately messed up her neck. She was unable to walk for awhile, until we took her to a chiropractor. She was never 100% again.

I then added magnets (you can get decorative ones) to both of our sliding screen doors. And to prove they work: this summer they fell off, and before I knew it (we had a bunch of family here for a party) Phoebe was running in from the yard and went right through the screen! Fortunately she was fine, but it completely ruined the screen.

So magnets or maybe tape for the screens as well as the windows! If it's at hound eye height, make sure they know it's there!

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

>>Also, don't put his collar on tight. His collar should be correctly fitted. Also, martingales are not impossible to back out of. A paniced dog can pretty easily squirm out of one even correctly fitted. If the new dog seems at all skittish, I recommend either a wiggles wags and whiskers no pull harness or a spook harness.>

Well... OK... two fingers between collar and neck with the collar coming up behind the ears which is the narrowest part of the neck, but I mentioned that for a very good reason. Many new owners will imagine a collar is too tight and I'd rather they don't have their hound slipping loose and getting lost or into traffic with disastrous results.

Raised feeders are NOT necessary.

If you want one, by all means, buy it. The dogs eat out of buckets at the track and seem to survive just fine!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Yoshi

Thanks everyone! I wanted to know what is essential - and what is wait and see what the dog likes and needs. I don't want to buy a load of stuff that he won't use.

I love the 'trousseau' term! He'll come with collar and lead and muzzle as far as I know.

Thought you might like to see a photo so have been practicing - here you go

35067528723_41e875d4c4.jpg

Oh he is very handsome! :beatheart What's he called?

Guest Yoshi

Thanks! We're thinking of calling him Yoshi (after the Mario character). He's called Jerry at the moment. We're hoping to pick him up on 7 August, after our holiday. After all my research I was thinking we'd get a black dog - but they recommended him to us for his temperament - he is super calm and loves being stroked.

35072747763_fd8e375af6_n.jpg35750692221_db35a9cd91_n.jpg