Tips To Drink More

Hi everyone, we're in the midst of summer and enjoying some high temperatures and sunny days in the UK. Unfortunately, my boy is finding it difficult to stay cool. We're using a fan, hosing him down in the garden, cool baths and giving him the occasional ice cube. I also bought him a cool mat but he won't lie on it! Even when we were in the car and he had nowhere else to go, he just perched on the end rather than settle on it.

I was just wondering if you had any tips to encourage him to drink more. He's fed raw which is quite moist anyway but I think he'd benefit from a bit more water intake.

Any thoughts or ideas?

My Peggy's the same. The crazy weather leapt from about 16C to 31.5C (60 to 90+) in just a couple of days. I'm feeling the same, and each day the house starts off even hotter, but too much water only gives me a bad head, it's salt I think we need. Offer your dog some PB on a biscuit or some cheese. Have a fan in the room where the dog is. Put up a fly (moths are what annoy me) screen over a door you might want to leave open, Peggy learned how to push past the magnets after only a couple of tries.

We've found that both the dogs and the cats drink far more water since we've added 2 ceramic waterers with electric pumps. We've got 2 of these:

http://www.pioneerpet.com/product/6023-raindropdrinking-fountain-stainless-steel-60-oz-copy-copy/

They hold enough water for the dogs to drink from comfortably and are still low enough for the cats to use happily. I think the appeal is that they keep water cooler and the flowing water is appealing as well. The initial cost is a bit steep but they work well. You also have to buy filters and we've found that the pumps need replacing frequently, even if you are careful about cleaning the bowls and pumps. Also, they've got to be filled frequently--if the water level gets low the pumps burn out. <_<

I realize it sounds like I'm damning them with faint praise, but in spite of the trouble and expense, the fountains really do seem to cause our animals to drink more.

If you don't want to go down that road, I'd suggest getting ceramic water bowls since I think the ceramic alone keeps water a bit cooler.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

We have ceiling and box fans here. Seamie would lie in front of a box fan and enjoy a bunch of of ice cubes from a stainless steel bowl.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I tend to think Lila doesn't drink enough, but she pees plenty and is perfectly healthy. As long as cool fresh water is availble we have to trust they are getting what they need. That said, I don't follow my own advice. :rolleyes: I've done bobbing for treats in the water bowl, which results in drinking some, and Lila always enjoys a popsicle. Maybe you call them ice lollys (I learned that right here on GT :D ).

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

As long as you always supply an available source of fresh water, a healthy dog will drink as much as it needs. It's wonderful that you're giving your dogs cooling options for comfort.

Regarding hydration - nature will ensure they hydrate properly as long as water is available.

On the hot days of summer when I left for work, I'd leave 2 water dishes instead of 1, and put a few ice cubes in each to keep it cooler a bit longer. The dogs would still only drink slightly more than normal. They were just fine.

If you come home to an empty bowl - leave more water out. If they never have an empty water bowl - that's the right amount. Dogs will hydrate appropriately.

You can add cool watermelon as treats when your boys likes them.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with above ... if you're concerned, though, add some water to his kibble (not if you free-feed).

And if you want to cool him down a bit more, you can make a cool coat out of an old towel ... there is a thread here that describes how to make it, and once made, you put a damp coat on your dog (it will increase the effectiveness of those house fans).