Returning A Dog... (A Note To Prospective Adopters)

Guest Big_Bad_Jon

Cocoa came into a strange house and immediately started throwing toys around. She totally bonded to me by the next morning.

You are full of generalizations and woefully uneducated.

And pretty much of a giant d*** to come in here and post this as if you are some great truth-teller rather than, oh, asking for advice from the incredibly experienced folks in this forum.

I was afraid that my response might have been too harsh, but your's is spot on.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest Zoopy

I'm very new to the breed, previous dog owner of mutts only. One of my posts was "struggling to bond" and I'd had my boy just a few days longer than you've had yours. I probably felt very similar to you at that time but I refused to give up on him, he was already a bounce.

Is he different to previous dogs I've had, yes, very much so. Is he "worse", definitely not. I am now over 2 months in and things are only getting better.

He knows my routine and rules, I understand his behaviours so much better, primarily due to this group. He is so happy to see me after work, in the mornings etc, we even participate in kisses, which if you read my other posts you'd find hard to believe. 3 weeks really isn't long enough to find all that out.

Sorry it didn't work for you but I'd advise anyone thinking about adopting a grey to expect "different" especially if you've had other dogs and give it time.

We all make mistakes in life, I believe your intensions were good. I'm guessing that right now you are pretty sad and feeling like a failure. I am glad you made a good decision to return your hound and that this is not the right time for you to be a dog owner.

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020

Best reply yet.

There's no reason to get on someone's case about something like this. Greyhounds, especially your first one, can be an amazing, but often revealing learning experience. I'm sure it hurts enough to make the decision to give the hound up. But if the OP ever is willing to try again, I'm betting they're going to be more prepared than many of us were when we got our first grey.

We all make mistakes in life, I believe your intensions were good. I'm guessing that right now you are pretty sad and feeling like a failure. I am glad you made a good decision to return your hound and that this is not the right time for you to be a dog owner.

Best reply yet.

There's no reason to get on someone's case about something like this. Greyhounds, especially your first one, can be an amazing, but often revealing learning experience. I'm sure it hurts enough to make the decision to give the hound up. But if the OP ever is willing to try again, I'm betting they're going to be more prepared than many of us were when we got our first grey.

I think the problem is less that he returned the hound (I've done it - it hurts like crazy - so I wouldn't be one to judge) and more that he felt the need to come to this greyhound forum full of greyhound lovers and post a long list of why greyhounds make bad pets for anyone but a retired couple.

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

I think the problem is less that he returned the hound (I've done it - it hurts like crazy - so I wouldn't be one to judge) and more that he felt the need to come to this greyhound forum full of greyhound lovers and post a long list of why greyhounds make bad pets for anyone but a retired couple.

This, and that his research seemed to be cursory at best! Given that the sad face, aloofness, sensitivity and non-highenergylabpitbullinyourfaceseekingaffection i pretty much the first thing you find out about the greyhound temperament.....

This, and that his research seemed to be cursory at best! Given that the sad face, aloofness, sensitivity and non-highenergylabpitbullinyourfaceseekingaffection i pretty much the first thing you find out about the greyhound temperament.....

Sorry, but I just wasn't as personally affected as you were. I saw him as being honest with his struggles, and I applaud him at being honest and open about it.

I'm glad I'm reading this thread :) Lots of opinions and experiences to learn from! I hope I can handle whatever challenges I have when I bring home my new grey in a few years.

Beware of dog? Forget the dog - BEWARE OF CAT! No wait. The budgie is a killer, too.

35618219502_5f27c04249_s.jpgAaerro by Vampiric Conure, on Flickr

Rainbow Bridge - Aaerro march 2018

Dark skinned people and trucks really freaked him out too, which is both embarrassing and annoying. (fortunately his racism is beginning to go away.)

:lol just rereading this. Have personally owned two of the most racist miniature poodles in the world....both foundlings.
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Sorry, but I just wasn't as personally affected as you were. I saw him as being honest with his struggles, and I applaud him at being honest and open about it.

Struggles and surprises he had which he attributed to the dog not being what he expected. When many of the shocks were completely avoidable had the research been done.

Struggles and surprises he had which he attributed to the dog not being what he expected. When many of the shocks were completely avoidable had the research been done.

If you can't trust your adoption group, who can you trust?

He obviously wasn't as well-informed as you were when you got your first grey.

Live and learn, and move on. Have a greyt day!

Guest DarkHorse

This kind of makes me laugh a little. Because I hear all the time about how sad Summit looks. So much so, that when I saw a dog tag at a pet store that read "This IS my happy face" I snapped it up. Greyhounds are built differently from other dogs. The natural position of their ears is thrown back which can make them look a bit woe-be-gone. It has nothing to do with their emotions. It would be like someone saying "Why do you look so sad" and you being like "What do you mean? This is just my face". Like how some people just have constant "resting b!tch face". That's just their face. It's nothing personal. I find it kind of endearing.

Yes. KB has a particularly 'sad' face, mostly because of the structure of his skull, his ears, and his eyes (which are a wee bit bulgy). My sisters-in-law call him "Dobby" because he does sort of resemble Dobby the house elf.

Here he is, 'sadly' excited for a walk (in the light green coat):

12552671_10101470509026147_5409970721639

Here he is looking sad while happily snuggling on the human bed:

W65b6ab.jpg

And here he is just generally looking sad:

GLfzXbz.jpg

And KB is the happiest derp who ever existed. He's always thrilled by pretty much any attention. He uses his puppy-dog eyes to get more attention. He's actually the kind of affectionate OP might like - he's a leaner who will follow you around and give you kisses if you bend down to his level - but he just looks sad as a general rule.

I call Johnny "World's saddest dog". :lol:

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

I personally think this dog is lucky that he is being returned and can find his forever home with the RIGHT adopter.

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.

Guest Izzy2

Hi I'm a single mum and had always said I'd have an exracer if given the chance, thanks to my uncle having 2 when I was younger. I was used to a 10 1/2 stone Leonberger (completely different type of dog altogether) when Chinnie died unexpectedly and very suddenly to cancer I decided as much as I loved his breed I couldn't replace my soulmate . I couldn't bear being without a dog nor could my 9 year old who had group up with Chinnie him being a few months older than my son !!!. I went to look at Greyhounds ...just to look mind you and Lily chose me I originally went to look at Biffo her "kennel mate". There was no advice given (bearing in mind I live in the UK) just a house check and within week I had Lily home. The first night she cried to the point I slept on the settee!! The second night she managed to climb the stairs getting her down the next morning was a different matter. Yes there were times when I would hold my head in my hands in despair but I persevered with her. She hates loud bangs thunderstorms fireworks Chinnie was bombproof. She loves getting on the sofa with me snuggling in and if I don't fuss her she cried like Chewbacca!!. As you all know I managed to get Biffo couple months ago he is completely different loves to play with his toys ,any clothing of mine he steals lol he does get on the sofa or sleep on the bed like lily preferring to lay next to the bed all 4 legs in the air. He doesn't give kisses like lily. It can take time lily took a year Biffo 2 nights if that, they are different but unique dogs and each have a different personality. I can never replace nor would I want to my soulmate but greys are worth the effort and I'm sorry you came to your decision.

Sorry if I've waffled on and gone off subject but wldnt part with either of mine

This is just one guy's experience. Really, who cares? I think it's really unnecessary to call him a dickhead.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Hi I'm a single mum and had always said I'd have an exracer if given the chance, thanks to my uncle having 2 when I was younger. I was used to a 10 1/2 stone Leonberger (completely different type of dog altogether) when Chinnie died unexpectedly and very suddenly to cancer I decided as much as I loved his breed I couldn't replace my soulmate . I couldn't bear being without a dog nor could my 9 year old who had group up with Chinnie him being a few months older than my son !!!. I went to look at Greyhounds ...just to look mind you and Lily chose me I originally went to look at Biffo her "kennel mate". There was no advice given (bearing in mind I live in the UK) just a house check and within week I had Lily home. The first night she cried to the point I slept on the settee!! The second night she managed to climb the stairs getting her down the next morning was a different matter. Yes there were times when I would hold my head in my hands in despair but I persevered with her. She hates loud bangs thunderstorms fireworks Chinnie was bombproof. She loves getting on the sofa with me snuggling in and if I don't fuss her she cried like Chewbacca!!. As you all know I managed to get Biffo couple months ago he is completely different loves to play with his toys ,any clothing of mine he steals lol he does get on the sofa or sleep on the bed like lily preferring to lay next to the bed all 4 legs in the air. He doesn't give kisses like lily. It can take time lily took a year Biffo 2 nights if that, they are different but unique dogs and each have a different personality. I can never replace nor would I want to my soulmate but greys are worth the effort and I'm sorry you came to your decision.

Sorry if I've waffled on and gone off subject but wldnt part with either of mine

Love this.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Locking this because it's done. :)

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****