(Starz Lee) Max Acting Strangely Again

I was out of town over the weekend by my DH and teenaged son were home. 9 year old hound started going outside and not coming in despite cold and rain. He would just lay In the grass. Seemed OK Monday and Tuesday if a little off. Yesterday again constantly going out, occasional yips. Laying in rain. Took him to vet who could find nothing wrong. (Last year he had a probable neck strain or disc issue and did steroid taper and pain meds for 5 weeks and recovered though still refuses to go upstairs). Waiting on senior panel and other blood and urine tests. I'm a people nurse and my instinct is diabetes or a swallowing problem but who knows. Any thoughts? Giving him his old GABA and tramadol that I have on hand and vet said ok since we don't know what's bothering him. It has calmed him. Could he be having more neck or joint issues? Same time of year as last year when he starts walking a little further due to better weather here in Chi-town. Thanks!

Don't have any suggestions, but my Max started doing something similar not so long ago:

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/320617-max-sleeping-outside-at-3-am/

About the only answer I got was, maybe he just likes it outside now that the weather is getting nicer (i.e. not snow). Hope you figure it out for your guy...

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

You mention a possible swallowing problem. Is he eating and drinking ok?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Some thoughts:

Can he raise and lower his head easily and without pain yips? Neck issue. When exactly is he yipping?

Does he get up and down easily from his bed? Neck and/or back

Does he pant *super* hard for an extended period of time after walking or exercise? Does he seem to be hot? Have you taken his temperature? Does he seem to gag more when eating and drinking? Could be laryngeal paralysis.

Does he wander at night, or seem *more* agitated after the sun goes down? Does he seem to forget what he's doing? Does he act anxious in general? May be the beginning of dementia or sundowner's syndrome.

Is he eating and drinking normal amounts or has he become a "picky eater?" Kidney and/or liver issues can cause nausea and make them not want to eat.

Have you tried restricting his access to the backyard and only let him out with supervision? Let him do his business and immediately call him back inside (reward with a yummy treat so it's not a punishment)??

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

What about rheumatic issues? Sometimes the cold lessens the pain in the joints.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Possibly something behavioural like an early onset dementia, and the yips may be more to do with worry?

I'm remembering now we once had an old cat (17) with slowly failing kidneys and dementia and she would go out and sleep under the hedge in the rain too. Fur started coming out. We tested for Vitamin K.

You mention a possible swallowing problem. Is he eating and drinking ok?

Yes he is, but in the last year or so he gags occasionally nothing severe.

Some thoughts:

Can he raise and lower his head easily and without pain yips? Neck issue. When exactly is he yipping?

Yes he can. The yipping is occasionally while laying down he yips and jumps up.

Does he get up and down easily from his bed? Neck and/or back

He never has gotten on and off furniture. He stopped going up our large flight of stairs after he got a neck strain last year. He's done the stairs once or twice with no problem since then but prefers our downstairs. We think he pulled the neck on the stairs possibly causing a fear/aversion.

Does he pant *super* hard for an extended period of time after walking or exercise? Does he seem to be hot? Have you taken his temperature? Does he seem to gag more when eating and drinking? Could be laryngeal paralysis.

He does not pant too much after exercising unless its hot out. He gags occasionally after eating.

Does he wander at night, or seem *more* agitated after the sun goes down? Does he seem to forget what he's doing? Does he act anxious in general? May be the beginning of dementia or sundowner's syndrome.

He did seem like that last night which is why I took him to ER vet.

Is he eating and drinking normal amounts or has he become a "picky eater?" Kidney and/or liver issues can cause nausea and make them not want to eat.

I would say normal for him which is some days he's hungrier than others.

Have you tried restricting his access to the backyard and only let him out with supervision? Let him do his business and immediately call him back inside (reward with a yummy treat so it's not a punishment)??

No but I think I'll try that! I responded inline to your other questions. Thank you!

What about rheumatic issues? Sometimes the cold lessens the pain in the joints.

Yes I'm starting to lean toward that reasoning. His tramadol and gabapentin seem to have really helped now that he's had 3 doses of each. Took him on an easy 1 mile walk and he seemed fine. Let him sniff a lot more times than usual. He's getting old. Sniff.

Possibly something behavioural like an early onset dementia, and the yips may be more to do with worry?

I'm remembering now we once had an old cat (17) with slowly failing kidneys and dementia and she would go out and sleep under the hedge in the rain too. Fur started coming out. We tested for Vitamin K.

This is a possibility too. He seems better during the day than late afternoon/evening. I'll see if he acts weird again tonight.

His labs came back normal except possible low thyroid. She didn't tell me the number but she said she's aware greys run a lower T4, she's sending a thyroid panel next.

Thanks everyone for your help. Do you give your dog glucosamine-chondroitin or other joint supplements? I was thinking of starting something for Max

Edited by mrsmcd7

Most people may think I'm a little crazy with my supplements....maybe.

There are my herbs like melissa, St. Johns wort and gingko.

Melissa boosts the immune system and helps with pain relief.

St. Johns wort is known for neurological issues, even repairing nerve damages and

Gingko improves the blood flow in the brain and therefor helps a great deal with geriatric problems like doggy dementia.

Brewer's yeast for fur, collagile for joints and tendons and rice bran oil helps building up muscle mass (or better keeps them from getting lost).

I know, I may sound like some crazy witch but I have 3 pups, age 7, 11 and 6 weeks shy of 13 and they don't need any medication. And my oid boys are still up to 2 hour walks.

And physiotherapy every 4 weeks, even if there are no problems.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

No smurfette that's not crazy. I'm more of a traditional medicine person since I'm an RN but I don't totally discount homeopathy.

Max's T4 is less than 0.50 so they're running a panel. Anyone with a hypothyroid hound? I know that can be normal for a lot of hounds but I'm wondering what symptoms your hypothyroid hounds have displayed, especially neurologically.

So he's acting more "normal" again. He did yip a bit on a longer walk Sunday so I limited him to 2 shorter walks Sunday and yesterday. No more issues. I'm thinking maybe he pulled a muscle like he did last year. He's getting older so maybe 2 shorter walks are better tolerated than 1 longer walk now.