Aging Eyes...

sadly our greys are getting older... and their bodies change ... just like us ..
At the annual vet appointment last week the vet found that Otis's eyes did not react normally .. the pupil's reflex was almost absent in both eyes when he pointed the light in his eyes .. we had noticed a change during winter .. we thought it could be the beginning of cataracts ...
The vet took the pressure of the eye and it was normal so no glaucoma.
The retina is normal too.
He prescribed cortisone drops for a week.
We returned last evening for a follow-up.
The drops helped, the pupils have a little more reflex than last week. The right eye is better than the left.
The vet carefully checked his eyes andhe said it was the lens and the cornea that had opacified, so less light comes in. Since he had no other symptoms (he did not bump into things and do not stumble, so he sees OK) this condition is only one of the disadvantages of passing years.. .. Otis will be 9 years old in August.
We will continue the drops for 3 weeks.
We'll check the eyes in two weeks to see.
Since there are no other symptoms and eye pressure is normal, it is not necessary to go see an ophthalmologist ... It could affect his vision, but it will be gradually, slowly happening, He will not be blind tomorrow, it's a really slow process ... and cortisone should help improve or slow down the process.
My beautiful old Otis is now an old gentlemen..

image002_zpsqzoadsma.jpg

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Our first greyhound, Tuffy: You will always be there with us my angel!
Tuffy greyhound-data
Otis greyhound-data Abbey greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

:beatheart :beatheart I have had a couple of old greys with that, it never really affected their quality of life.

yes..I'm the one that stress about this.. greys lives in the moment.. :)

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Our first greyhound, Tuffy: You will always be there with us my angel!
Tuffy greyhound-data
Otis greyhound-data Abbey greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

Our Darcy lost her vision as she aged. If you have other animals in the house, I'd caution you that Otis may become more reactive as his vision declines.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

I hope Otis' vision gets no worse and the drops help. Aging is tough on all of us but we hate to see it in our dogs. As you know, my girl has a couple of issues with her eyes now, and though her vision is OK at the moment, if she lives long enough, I'll be a seeing eye person. She's 9-1/2 years old.

We recently brought home a bounce, who turned 12 last week, and her vision is very bad. Her pupils don't restrict either. Apparently, she can see shapes and shadows. Her sense of hearing and smell are quite good, which indicates that she has been adapting. However, as Laura mentioned, she startles easily and gets rather snarky. If you met her, you wouldn't realize that she has a substantial vision loss. Needless to say, there won't be any changes in our house while she is with us. She also can still follow a bright light, so if we are walking and it is dark, she will track a flashlight beam - which we keep pointed down and in front of her.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

A friend of mine suggested, when we were worried that one of ours was losing his sight, that it would be a good idea to netball some basic voice commands to assist navigation. Things like 'step up' 'step down' 'stop''left/ right' etc to help them manage kerbs, staircases and obstacles.

Dogs also adapt quite well to being without vision. Especially when they have time to get used to the changes gradually, like Otis is doing.

:wub: Otis! :wub:

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly