Refusing Food; Has There Been A Change To Iams Green Bag?

Does anyone know if there have been changes to Iams green bag? A week and a half ago Renny started turning up his nose at meals, so I switched him to chicken and rice for a couple of days before putting him back on his normal food, with the addition of probiotics recommended by the vet. He'd then eat a portion of it before ignoring it, but if we left it with him in his crate it'd be eaten within a few hours. Then Indy started ignoring his food too, though he'll also eat it after awhile, especially if someone else (Renny, or the cat) shows an interest in it. The vet says both are perfectly healthy, and a poop sample came back negative for any parasites. Neither has shown any other change in behavior. We tried switching to a new bag with the same result, which is why I'm wondering if there was some change with the food itself. Has anyone else's pups been refusing this food? Should I switch them to something else?

It is very hard to know for sure about recipe changes causing them to go off food. However when Diamond (Taste of the Wild) changed their probiotics in the recipe for High Prairie, Peggy refused to eat it again. It was because she has a history serious stomach problems that I switched her to something else: Barking Heads Golden Years supplemented with Canagan... these are mid-range and high-end kibbles in the UK. If your dog is otherwise healthy I'd wait for several days before throwing out the Iams. Things like extra heat, humidity and pollen in the air can upset them a lot; even I won't eat much if it suddenly becomes too hot.

Of course if you think the food might be harmful (it's always a worry if a batch of beets and sweet potatoes have mold in them) then there are plenty of others to try.

Bookmark the recalls list.

Edited by JohnF

This is very interesting to me, as Shine stopped eating for about two weeks as well. Of course, Odin, won't ever miss a meal. I am going to write to Iams and see if they say anything.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest chickenpotpie

I'd been having a huge issue with Lucky eating it this year though she gets it more as filler...but there's been a few times where she would flat out refuse. Totally unlike her so I'd throw the bag out thinking maybe she knew more than me that something was wrong. After the final time I did a cold turkey switch to Merrick. No refusals. Please report back what you find out!

I tried them over the weekend on some dog food samples I had from Gettysburg which they ate without hesitation. But the Iams they're ​still reluctant with. Then at Costco last night I picked up a bag of their food on a whim and the boys gobbled it down. So I'm going to assume something changed with Iams (or my boys don't like it anymore) and swap to something else. Since I have the Costco food I'll see how they do on it, otherwise the great dog food search will begin anew.

Most pet stores will give you a full refund. I recently purchased a new bag of longevity by hills (low protein for kindney) and Felix spit it out,Annie who always steals his good refused it as well. Pet-co commented that they have had quite a few returns,hills said nothing changed. Our dogs know!

Edited by cleptogrey

Talked to Paula at Mars yesterday and Mary Lou today. Both said there has been no formula change. They took all the info from the bag that my current chowhounds will eat. They both said the more people that call and provide lot # or whatever the better.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I tried them over the weekend on some dog food samples I had from Gettysburg which they ate without hesitation. But the Iams they're ​still reluctant with. Then at Costco last night I picked up a bag of their food on a whim and the boys gobbled it down. So I'm going to assume something changed with Iams (or my boys don't like it anymore) and swap to something else. Since I have the Costco food I'll see how they do on it, otherwise the great dog food search will begin anew.

For what it's worth, mine have done well on Costco's Lamb and Rice, even with Henry's finicky stomach. Leo does hunger strike now and then (like right now), but I've stopped worrying about it since he always goes back to eating okay eventually.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

For what it's worth, mine have done well on Costco's Lamb and Rice, even with Henry's finicky stomach. Leo does hunger strike now and then (like right now), but I've stopped worrying about it since he always goes back to eating okay eventually.

Lamb and rice is exactly what we picked up, and both seem to like it. Poops aren't quite as solid as on the Iams, but I figure that's because I swapped them cold turkey and it'll probably get better. We'll see how it goes with the rest of the bag, but I'm just happy they're eating heartily again. :)

We just started a brand new bag of Iams green bag last week, and Marvin has had no hesitation with it. With him, though, if he were refusing to eat, our first reaction would likely be to get him into the vet, not check the food... I will say that the new bag smelled slightly different from usual, so I would not be surprised if there was a change.

We have used the Costco food before too, with good results, even if we weren't always getting 'bouncy' poops every time. Good luck! Glad to hear that your pups are eating well again!

I wonder if mars is making major cost cutting changes to their foods. They just messed up Nutro pretty bad with a major ingredient change, and I have been having some issues with the one dog I have on eukanuba. Out of Three dogs, the two on Mars brands have had issues. Running out of brands that work and can be trusted. Mars brands are definitely on that list now.

Dodge has become very finicky with his food over the last two weeks (Iams in the green bag), but I attributed that to the Tramadol that he had started as I know it can affect their appetites. Sometimes he eats right away and other times he's not ready to eat until 2 hours later. He has been eating regularly over the last couple of days.

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.

I have a Greyhound who just started Royal Canin Renal diet. (Mars) So far so good, but Sam isn't a finicky Eater. My Schipperke is on the Urinary SO by Royal Canin. No problems there either. I quit using Nutro right after Mars purchased it. I personaly dislike Mars but hate the Science Diet prescription even more. Grrrr

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb