Are dogs infected with ehrlichia every truly cured? If I adopt a dog who had this infection, could it spread to my other Grey's? What about transmission to people especially immunosuppressive and frail elderly? Is there on-going need for treatment throughout the dog's life?

You can catch ehrlichia only from a tick that has it. You can't catch it from a dog, person, etc. who has it.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

• 2 weeks later...

My Pasadena got it and was on doxy twice a day for eight weeks. Also my Surprise at the same time as a precaution due to having other issues.

That was in November 2016. They seem fine now.

We live in Maryland, right next to a state park. From what I read, they should be tested in six months after treatment.

My vet said I should wait to give her the antibiotics to see what happened, but after reading about it, I called the vet and

he gave me a prescription for both. He said that there were two theories out there. Some said to do the doxy right

away, while others said to wait to see if they developed bleeding. I chose not to wait and treat.

There is an intravenous treatment they can get if the doxy does not work. That can be costly and intensive without insurance.

We believe that our pups were caught very early as other than the blood test, they showed not symptoms. This website from CDC shows some

statistics on areas where the tick is. https://www.cdc.gov/ehrlichiosis/stats/index.html

Google, the search engine, is a great place to research general topics.

The tick borne diseases are NOT contagious. You can only get them from being bitten by a infected tick (although I think I've read they are starting to suspect mosquitos might also transmit some of these things--but don't quote me on that).

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

If ehrlichia was contagious I'd be dead. Lots of track dogs came through with it but the worst offenders newer the never raced farm dogs. Farmsr range from spotless to spit and bailin' wire. Oklahoma iis tick central with Kansas close behind. When we would travel to Abilene Buck would pick up ticks on the well maintained truck stop grass when we stopped for a potty break. Bella in my Avatar has 200+ ticks when she came from OK. I quit counting at 200.

When I seemed to have a vat of doxy in my house at all times to that incoming infected dogs the vet told me one big mistake vets make is that the don't do treatment long enough and that makes reappearance all the easier..

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

• 5 years later...

My Pasadena has tested positive again for the ehrlichia so the vet had a PSA  test done for her and here is  here is the results and my vet reply to the test. Any Comments would be appreciated. The last time and first time it showed up was in Nov. 2016

Test results Feb 2023-   Ehrlichia canis NEGATIVE RealPCR a a A positive Ehrlichia canis result indicates that E. canis DNA was detected in the sample submitted. In animals with clinical signs this supports infection. Clinical features of infection include (but are not limited to) lethargy, fever, anorexia, hemorrhagic diathesis, weight loss, lymphadenopathy, and splenomegaly. Subclinical infections are common. Thrombocytopenia, anemia and hyperglobulinemia are the most common laboratory abnormalities. A negative Ehrlichia canis result indicates that E. canis DNA was not detected in the sample submitted. A negative result does not necessarily indicate the absence of an infection. Negative results can result from intermittent rickettsemia, sequestered infection, previous antibiotic use, levels of organisms being too low for detection or 100% of clinically important

Here is my vets reply   

Hi Linda and Joe,

I received your email today and checked in to see that the Ehrlichia canis PCR results are in, as are the urinalysis results.  The PCR test came back negative.  This is good news.  It means that there were no detectable organisms in the blood sample.  It is possible for Pasadena to have an infection that is sequestered or otherwise undetectable (very low organism numbers or one that is resulting in intermittent circulating organisms that are absent at the current time), but given the absence of clinical signs and normal platelet numbers in her CBC I am hopeful that she has cleared the infection and requires no additional therapy.  In additional good news, her urinalysis and urine protein to creatinine ratio also came back looking normal.  

I would recommend that we do several things moving forward.  First, we should monitor her CBC (complete blood count) annually.  Also, careful tick control to prevent future exposure is very important (monthly tick preventative year-round, extra skin checks when she has been in high tick burden areas).  Finally, monitoring Pasadena for any clinical signs of Ehrlichia (bruising, any abnormal bleeding, lethargy, changes in appetite, lameness or joint swelling, changes in movement or vision) is indicated.  If noted, any of these signs warrants an office visit.  
I hope that this email answers your questions.  I will be in the office tomorrow until at least p.m. if you have follow-up questions.  

Kindest Regards,
Left vets name out on purpose for privacy 

p.s. - I am sending a copy of the amended lab results to you now.  Please let me know if you do not receive them.  If you require additional records to be sent to the insurance company, please let me know and we can email them as well.  

I'm pretty sure that once they test positive for a TBD they can test positive again in the future at any time, even without showing any symptoms.  They can also go for years, or even the rest of their lives without having any issues at all.  

I think what your vet lays out is fine, sensible advice, most of which you would do anyway.  So it sounds like you have a diagnosis and a plan moving forward.

Not sure what you want comments about beyond that, but I hope she stays asymptomatic.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly