Grieving Greyt

utopia

Hi,

My female Grace,died 11-30 from saddle thrombosis. She was 11. Her companion my 7 yr old male has not been the same since. He eats well, sleeps well,poos well, etc. However, he just mopes around the house. Does not want to get in my van. He perks up when his female friends -a Malinois and a red heeler-visit. Then back to moping around. Do I need to get a greyhound cougar for him? I would like to get another older female grey or lurcher but I'm still grieving my girl. Help!

You'really both still grieving and nothing fixes that but time. Plus, he's picking up on your sadness as well as his own. And some dogs are just hsppier with a companion.

Give him some extra attention by planning and taking special outings, arrange play dates for him with other dog friends, going to stores and restaurants that allow dogs, hiking, a vacation together, and just hanging out. You can even give a training class a try.

When you feel ready, he will likely be ready too.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

It's so sad when grieving lingers. A grey 'cougar' would probably help a lot and would also get you into different expereinces as you all bond. You'll be using what Grace taught you about handling Greys too, so that helps with the closure into a lost one being always there in good memories.

Routine is SO important to dogs

So sorry for your loss.

When we lost our Tilly last February, our boy (Finn) seemed to be okay at first. They had only been together for a little over 8 months, as we lost our other boy, Deacon, 10 months before losing Tilly. I was still grieving both Deacon and Tilly and wasn't ready to adopt again. However, we started noticing changes in Finn's personality - he wasn't moping, but rather getting more and more anxious. We had a few episodes where he would run up & down the stairs and from window to window, frantically, for hours & hours. It was heart-breaking.

Even though I wasn't really ready, we adopted about 3 months after losing Tilly and it did wonders for Finn. Honestly, it was tough on me in the beginning, but I wouldn't trade this little girl for anything.

When I get too sad about losing one of mine (we've lost 4 altogether) I just remember that without losing the last one, we wouldn't have adopted the next one, and I've been 100% in love with all of them.

No advice, just hugs. Lots of hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

We lost Gin a couple of days after Christmas (2 months ago), it was a sudden and tragic accident that our other dog Jazz witnessed.

Initially, Jazz went into shock and depression and didn't eat for a few days and just lay around but would go for walk. We tried to get our life back into a routine which was very hard as we realised our whole family revolved around Gin because he was just so loving and goofy. Jazz was very, very shy when we got her (would hide and not let people touch her) but had blossomed into a confident lady, however we started noticing she was reverting back into her shell and would not let anyone other than my partner and i touch her, she was getting aggressive to other dogs when we went walking, and just wanted to lay on Gins bed. The turning point for me was when Jazz collapsed a few weeks ago and she nearly died. It turned out she was poisoned (not sure how) but our vet said she was so depressed her immunity was compromised and the poisoned affected her more than it would of is she was her normal self.

We foster greys as well and i decided that we needed to get a foster to help her through this. My partner was not ready and found it very distressing to have another dog in the house, however, we had to do the best for Jazz. I asked the GAP people to get us a big goofy, funny male so he could break up the mood in our house.

We have had James for 3 weeks now and he is the happiest hound i have ever met!!! Jazz is still a little depressed, the vet said it will take some time, BUT she is getting better and better each day! It took her a little time to get used to James, but having another dog to play with took her focus off Gin. James has not only healed Jazz's heart, he has helped my partners and mine and was the best decision i made.

Utopia, my advice, listen to your heart, you know your dog and you will know deep down what the best is for him. I felt like i was betraying Gin, by fostering James but i realised at the end of the day i was honouring his memory as he wouldn't want any of us being sad because we missed him but happy because we loved him!

I wish you and your boy all the love an happiness to get you through this tough time xox

f023be7e-5a19-4ae1-8afe-8834a7fafa96_zps538667b1-5d6a-4dee-b6b3-654aa5912718_zps

I have been respectfully owned by six greyhounds since 1989. Once I learned that two are better than one, I did not want my friend to be alone. So, for me it was more right to adopt a new greyhound friend as soon as possible. My Surprise, who just turned nine this year in February, has his third partner. He is so much happier when he has someone to run with, or sleep with or just be with. When I look at how happy he is with a partner, it makes me smile. I surly miss my other friends for sure, but I know they would approve. Just the fact that you brought up this subject makes me think that you are ready for a new family member. Spring is around the corner and is just a wonderful time to consider more joy. :beatheart