Introductions

After 4 years of wandering the local rescues, searching online, reading the classifieds, and never finding the right puppy, I put a deposit down on a breed of puppy I have always wanted. The puppy should be coming home in July, if things happen how they should.

Please don't make this a discussion on how I shouldn't buy a dog, or how I should have done a rescue.

What I want to know is, how do I introduce the new puppy to Ruby, safely, and without Ruby getting her nose out of joint ? I want Ruby to be happy that she has a new playmate, and not be trying to eat it or be bothered constantly by it. I am not allowed to take Ruby to visit the puppies ahead of time, for fear of disease being introduced, so Ruby will not be able to interact with him/her before I bring it home.

I have already thought about getting an X Pen to keep the pup off of Ruby's bed, introducing the two with muzzles on both, and making sure Ruby gets a bit more attention than normal.

What else do I need to do to prepare and protect Ruby ?

Karen

Using an xpen has been perfect for our foster iggy, age 9. It gives me a much needed break. She's housebroken but annoys the heck out of Potato.

Would the breeder allow you to bring some piece of cloth that you could get the pup's scent on? Ruby could sniff it when you give her "the talk" that a baby pup is on the way.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Using an xpen has been perfect for our foster iggy, age 9. It gives me a much needed break. She's housebroken but annoys the heck out of Potato.

Would the breeder allow you to bring some piece of cloth that you could get the pup's scent on? Ruby could sniff it when you give her "the talk" that a baby pup is on the way.

I am sure the breeder would let me do that. Great idea !!!

Karen

What kind of puppy are you getting? Sorry, no real advice on intros/making it work, since I've only had adult dogs. I feel invested in your new dog search, after viewing your threads over the past few years! :)

Rebecca
with Atlas the borzoi, Luna the pyr, and Madison the cat, always missing Sahara(Flyin Tara Lyn) and Coltrane(Blue on By) the greyhounds

I introduce puppies to my leashed adults (one at a time) outside of the house and fenced yard. Some of my adults love puppies, some have no use for them until they are old enough to rough house with, and some tolerate them but don't like them. Young puppies tend to get a puppy license with stable temperament adults because they seem to know that irritating puppies are young and don't know how to behave and communicate effectively yet. I do ensure that puppies are put up some throughout the day to give the adults some peace and to get the puppy comfortable with confinement so that I can avoid crate and x-pen anxiety issues. Most stable adults will correct puppies appropriately but it is always important to keep an eye on interactions anyways. To properly raise, train, and socialize a puppy it will inevitably end up getting more attention than your current dog but just make sure that Ruby gets quality attention because quantity might not be a reasonable expectation while trying to mold and shape the next generation if you work outside of the home. ;)

Also, what are you getting? :)

You want to be careful until you know how Ruby is oging to react to a puppy. Make sure you give her a place to retreat to that the puppy can't go so she can get a break.

The single best thing is to make sure the puppy is tired out every day. That way it doesn't have the energy to bother an adult.

Don't be alarmed if Ruby puts the puppy in it's place for rude behavior. Nothing teaches a puppy manners better than an adult dog - just don't let the corrections get *too* over the top.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

My dogs are dog and puppy friendly, so I don't really bother to leash or muzzle them. Summit went with me to pick up Kili. He stayed in the car while I went into my breeder's house to pick her up and do paperwork, and I had a small kennel in the truck next to him that I popped her into. And then we drove 3 hours home. With Kenna, since I have since moved out west, I flew home to pick her up from my breeder, so the dogs didn't accompany me. I let the adults out into the backyard and let them sniff the carrier with her in it, then let her out and held her while everyone sniffed and got to know one another. If you don't know how Ruby typically reacts to puppies/small dogs then you should muzzle and/or leash as precaution, just remember that an excited dog can startle/hurt a puppy by accident with a muzzle on by accidentally bashing them with it.

In my house, puppies are always either crated, x-penned, or under direct supervision. Kenna will be 12 months old in about 2 weeks, but even now as I'm in the office on the computer typing this, she's in the living room napping in her x-pen. If I'm not directly interacting/supervising a puppy they are contained in some way. It is safest for them, prevents accidents (though she's housetrained well enough at this point that that isn't really a concern anymore), and prevents them from pestering the other dogs.

I highly recommend Ian Dunbar's books "Before You Get Your Puppy" and "After You Get Your Puppy". If you google the titles the first hit should be a PDF version of the books you can download. I re-read them every time before I bring home a new puppy, just to refresh my memory.

Edited by krissy

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

What kind of puppy are you getting? Sorry, no real advice on intros/making it work, since I've only had adult dogs. I feel invested in your new dog search, after viewing your threads over the past few years! :)

YES !!!! All of you have been so great about answering my questions about different breeds...........and I have appreciated all the info that I have gathered.

I am getting an Eskipoo (a mutt really), so half American Eskimo (supposedly excellent with kids) and half poodle. Not sure if I will get a male or a female, am more concerned about temperament. The place I am using does testing at 8 weeks to find out each puppies temperament. I knew which mama dog that I wanted a pup from, and the father sounds like a wonderful dad too. The mom loves kids, is gentle, laid back, fairly low energy, and a happy girl.

I am worried about Ruby's reaction of course, and get really scared when I read about someone's grey snapping the neck of a small dog or shaking one (I know this doesn't happen often, but I have read about it here a few times). Ruby has only growled at a baby once, but I didn't blame her. Is the concern of her wanting to kill a puppy a real concern, or am I making a big issue in my head ? I will absolutely get the book about bringing home a puppy. Thank you

I am collecting names too if anyone has a great one. It has to sound different from RUBY, but be a fairly normal name, not too out there.

Edited by Busderpuddle

Karen

Is the concern of her wanting to kill a puppy a real concern, or am I making a big issue in my head ?

Unless she has a super high prey drive (which I don't think I remember being an issue with her), I think you're probably overthinking it. I think most of the hounds understand the difference between a small dog and a rabbit. I have never worried about any of my hounds hurting a puppy or a small fluffy dog out of malice or misdirected prey drive. I do worry about them accidentally hurting a smaller dog/puppy just because of size difference. Kili and Kenna weren't allowed to play in the yard together until Kenna was about 6 months old, because Kili was far too rough. Now Kenna is big enough to take it. So while I would supervise any play that happens, and I'd make sure that Ruby is an appropriate "correcter", and I wouldn't leave them unattended together... I wouldn't think that you should be concerned about Ruby trying to intentionally kill the puppy.

Assuming I am correct in my assumption of her prey drive. If she's super high prey and not cat friendly, then I'd be a lot more cautious while pup is tiny.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

they told us she was not cat friendly, but the one time we saw a cat close up on a walk, Ruby was afraid of it. She has not been around any puppies, and pays zero attention to other dogs when she sees them.

She doesn't seem to notice squirrels either, but she also doesn't hang around outside much. She's pretty mellow.

Karen

Great stuff here. I'll second (or third) the advice about getting the puppy smell on a fabric first, and the introducing the dogs outside for the first time, and the x-pen or other means of confining the pup to a limited area (good advice for a pup alone even).

You may also want to gradually (and sneakily) reduce the number of toys and bones that may be laying around the house before bringing in the pup, if your current dog is even a little possessive. Our dogs have a play room, so we keep the new ones out of that area until we are sure how they get along.

Congrats on the new pup!

Man, those "designer dog" folks will breed anything to a poodle for a buck.

No advice from me. Your greyhound either likes puppies or she doesn't. Aside from crating the puppy when you are not ACTIVELY supervising, I wouldn't worry too much.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Great stuff here. I'll second (or third) the advice about getting the puppy smell on a fabric first, and the introducing the dogs outside for the first time, and the x-pen or other means of confining the pup to a limited area (good advice for a pup alone even).

You may also want to gradually (and sneakily) reduce the number of toys and bones that may be laying around the house before bringing in the pup, if your current dog is even a little possessive. Our dogs have a play room, so we keep the new ones out of that area until we are sure how they get along.

Agree.

A similarity of fluffy puppies and kittens is that they run around quickly and look similar to a lure or squeaky toy. Safety measures will be your friend (e.g., muzzle; baby gate; crate; secured ex-pen); very close supervision; and please ensure the dogs are safely separated by a physical barrier before feeding time. :)

Agree.

A similarity of fluffy puppies and kittens is that they run around quickly and look similar to a lure or squeaky toy. Safety measures will be your friend (e.g., muzzle; baby gate; crate; secured ex-pen); very close supervision; and please ensure the dogs are safely separated by a physical barrier before feeding time. :)

Yes, and this scares me. Will Ruby "get it" that this puppy is our family too, or is it possible she will see it as prey forever, if she is prone to thinking that way ? We really have no way to test this out, but don't want to be the pup police forever either. I know a puppy will be bothersome, and we already know about giving Ruby time and a get away from pup. We know to feed them separately, keep them muzzled for a while, and we will get the puppy smell on a shirt or blanket for Ruby. I am wondering about turning them both out into the yard to play ? How long do muzzles stay on ? At what point will I know it is safe ? No idea what to watch for. Ruby doesn't run around much any more, but will make an occasional loop.

Karen

Will Ruby "get it" that this puppy is our family too, or is it possible she will see it as prey forever, if she is prone to thinking that way ?

I am wondering about turning them both out into the yard to play ?

How long do muzzles stay on ?

At what point will I know it is safe ?

No idea what to watch for. Ruby doesn't run around much any more, but will make an occasional loop.

What is Ruby's racing name?

If your adoption group is located nearby, consider asking them to provide a small, fluffy dog test for Ruby at your house (or their location, if needed).

Otherwise, Ruby's reaction to a young, fluffy, highly active, toy-like intruder in her own long-established house/family is unpredictable in advance. She might be fine with a small dog, or not. It could take work, but "small animal friendly" or "small animal workable hounds" usually learn to view small animals inside the house as family members, eventually.

It's possible Ruby might view a cat-sized fluffy dog as prey throughout her life, but if she's not highly prey driven chances for peace improve.

(All of our hounds are cat-friendly, yet our 15 year old hound still attempts to chase our 8 year old indoor cat.)

As the adage goes: Whenever Greyhounds are outside = game on!! It's like their sighthound chase-to-hunt prey instinct switches on inside their head. Any small animals outside could be at high risk including family cats or small dogs. Adopters with cats/small animals are cautioned to not let their hounds outside at the same time with small animals.

Even if Ruby were muzzled for every yard outing, the force of her size/body weight or zoomie/race propulsion could cause her to trip over or crush a small, darting dog causing both dogs significant harm. Some people get lucky with unusually gentle Greyhounds playing with small dogs who've lived together for a long time, but the accident potential remains, as does switching from play to prey.

Our rule is that all dogs must be basket muzzled whenever there is more than one dog in an outside enclosure large enough to run/play. (I'll never forget a young teen with a small puppy mistakenly entering a fenced enclosure during a "Greyhounds only" event. The instant she put the puppy on the ground, puppy yelped once (like a squeaky toy), and 18-20 Greyhounds FLEW from the opposite side of the enclosure to descend on that pup within 2-3 seconds.)

I'd treat small puppy safety similarly to kitten safety -- whenever Ruby and pup are supervised and roaming free in same room together, muzzle until you're sure Ruby won't chase or lose her cool with the puppy. It could take weeks, months or longer. Don't leave them free in same room together if unsupervised.

What is Ruby's racing name?

If your adoption group is located nearby, consider asking them to provide a small, fluffy dog test for Ruby at your house (or their location, if needed).

Otherwise, Ruby's reaction to a young, fluffy, highly active, toy-like intruder in her own long-established house/family is unpredictable in advance. She might be fine with a small dog, or not. It could take work, but "small animal friendly" or "small animal workable hounds" usually learn to view small animals inside the house as family members, eventually.

It's possible Ruby might view a cat-sized fluffy dog as prey throughout her life, but if she's not highly prey driven chances for peace improve.

(All of our hounds are cat-friendly, yet our 15 year old hound still attempts to chase our 8 year old indoor cat.)

As the adage goes: Whenever Greyhounds are outside = game on!! It's like their sighthound chase-to-hunt prey instinct switches on inside their head. Any small animals outside could be at high risk including family cats or small dogs. Adopters with cats/small animals are cautioned to not let their hounds outside at the same time with small animals.

Even if Ruby were muzzled for every yard outing, the force of her size/body weight or zoomie/race propulsion could cause her to trip over or crush a small, darting dog causing both dogs significant harm. Some people get lucky with unusually gentle Greyhounds playing with small dogs who've lived together for a long time, but the accident potential remains, as does switching from play to prey.

Our rule is that all dogs must be basket muzzled whenever there is more than one dog in an outside enclosure large enough to run/play. (I'll never forget a young teen with a small puppy mistakenly entering a fenced enclosure during a "Greyhounds only" event. The instant she put the puppy on the ground, puppy yelped once (like a squeaky toy), and 18-20 Greyhounds FLEW from the opposite side of the enclosure to descend on that pup within 2-3 seconds.)

I'd treat small puppy safety similarly to kitten safety -- whenever Ruby and pup are supervised and roaming free in same room together, muzzle until you're sure Ruby won't chase or lose her cool with the puppy. It could take weeks, months or longer. Don't leave them free in same room together if unsupervised.

Great advice and I will take it all very seriously. I am praying that Ruby will be as gentle as she is with the babies that have come and gone, But I will not know until the puppy is home.

Karen