One Hind Leg Shaking

Gracie has just come to live with us and I am puzzled over something. One hind leg shakes a lot when we are on a walk. Also sometimes standing but extremely so on a walk. We are not walking fast and she stops and sniffs along the way. It is not the distance because it starts right on. She does not seem in any discomfort. No limp. No corn. I know very little from her previous home, just that she was tested for Addisons last May and found negative for that. She is on thyroid meds of .7 twice a day, altho I know nothing more about these reasons. She is just turned 10. Coat is fine, appetite is fine, output is fine. She has a vet appt this afternoon for blood panel, T4, general looking over. I am thinking of asking for an xray of that leg. Please, any thoughts on any or all of this. I would like to have more things in my mind when she goes in. Could the leg issue be tied in with the Addisons test last year needing done? Could she be over medicated on thyroid meds and that cause this? I know some of this will be resolved by blood work but really need to have some good questions for the visit today.

We had a girl that had what we called "the Elvis leg". In our circumstance, after ruling out:pain, orthopedic problems, musculature, etc. The vet said and we kind of agreement it was probably slight muscular atrophy or mild nerve impingement combined with age. They squat to pee, so we kind of agreed that over time something could pinch or wear out.

It never caused a problem. She walked like a champ, squatted to pee, and ran like the rest. Just when she stopped, she Elvis legged.

Possible muscle cramp?

Since you're getting the thyroid check, consider getting the whole panel rather than just T4.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

My 10 year old girl, MoMo, has had a shaking right leg ever since she came to me at just under 2 years. My vet has checked and rechecked her range of motion. There is really not a sense that this shaking is the result of pain. I've found no answers and do solution but as with DofSweetPotatos hound, there also doesn't seem to be a serious problem cause the shaking.

Edited by LBass

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

For the thyroid test, she should have taken her meds within three hours of the blood test. I never knew this, but was told to do it for myself when I have blood work done. Anything more than three hours possibly skews the results.

Let us know how she makes out. We are also awaiting a photo. :)

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Interesting thread. Sweep, too, has demonstrated "Elvis leg" since we adopted her shortly after her 3rd birthday--always when she stops to sniff on our walks, never in any other context. It doesn't seem to bother her.

53827132849_248d9686fd_o.jpg

Rachel with Doolin Doodle Dooooo, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our gorgeous, gutsy girlhounds
 Sweep and Willa:heart

The mystery of the shaking leg has a good ending. Vet did xrays of leg, hips, etc and down at the lowest joint (my ankle?) there are screws from a break a long time ago. Vet said everything looks fine and what we are seeing is probably nerve damage from the injury and setting. Whew! She is a sweet girl and after Geoff last week I am a nervous person. We'll hear blood work, thyroid, etc next day or two.

Thanks to you all for "holding my hand"!

Glad you found a cause.

Chancey, now 8 years old, get the shakes if she stands around too long. She is fine as long as we are walking but after a few minutes standing I have to move her around again.

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

For the thyroid test, she should have taken her meds within three hours of the blood test. I never knew this, but was told to do it for myself when I have blood work done. Anything more than three hours possibly skews the results.

Let us know how she makes out. We are also awaiting a photo. :)

It's actually 4- 6 hours ;-) Edited by tbhounds

It's actually 4- 6 hours ;-)

That's what I meant. I though it is supposed to be within 3 hours of taking the meds. I never knew that until my doctor's assistant told me. I never did that when I got my dogs tested. I am not sure how much it matters, or, if it is just a better reading.

The mystery of the shaking leg has a good ending. Vet did xrays of leg, hips, etc and down at the lowest joint (my ankle?) there are screws from a break a long time ago. Vet said everything looks fine and what we are seeing is probably nerve damage from the injury and setting. Whew! She is a sweet girl and after Geoff last week I am a nervous person. We'll hear blood work, thyroid, etc next day or two.

Thanks to you all for "holding my hand"!

Good news.

Edited by Houndtime

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds