So I blew it. Kala has been on these meds about a year. I didn't realize that my vet was going to be closed for 2 weeks for the holiday. (Proin 50 mg)

I will run out of them Monday A.M. Won't be able to even try to get them refilled before Tuesday.

Can I give her one a day every few days? I will try another vet but I doubt that they will help they aren't good like that here.

Ideas?

If anyone is interested they made a WORLD of difference. One accident in the year plus she has. Been taking them.

Thanks.

Edited by GreyAcresMom

Sheila and CO
www.greyacres.com

try every other day, you will be surprised. it seems as if vets often don't take the time to reduce the dosage as little as possible. i would play with it, 50 mg every other day and count out what you have left. maybe you can get away with some 25mg dosages. who knows,maybe she will be fine with out it. only trial and error will tell. felix went off of it. he was on 25mg every other day, my vet went w/ the lowest dose that worked. he weighed 73# at the time.

Thanks. I'll check it out. She's always been a tiny little thing. 50# dripping wet on a good day!! I think I'll try 1/2 2x a day....

Tbhounds, you say that then don't say anything else. Can I ask why? She is 11.5 years old. Maybe 50#. Skinny. Been on the satin meatballs for the last year as a supplement. All labs and everything are great. Just skinny as she ages. But the proin has been great. I'm interested in your thoughts on this...or anyone's for that matter.

Sheila and CO
www.greyacres.com

My girls get one pill Mon., Wed., and Fri., and I skip the weekend all together.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Thanks. I'll check it out. She's always been a tiny little thing. 50# dripping wet on a good day!! I think I'll try 1/2 2x a day....

Tbhounds, you say that then don't say anything else. Can I ask why? She is 11.5 years old. Maybe 50#. Skinny. Been on the satin meatballs for the last year as a supplement. All labs and everything are great. Just skinny as she ages. But the proin has been great. I'm interested in your thoughts on this...or anyone's for that matter.

Yea sorry about the drive by comment--been a bad day with my own dog. Proin can raise blood pressure in dogs-problem with our greyhounds as many are already hypertensive, can cause strokes, loss of appetite. Remember Dexatrim? Yup-same stuff. There was a reason they pulled it off the human market. IMO there are safer just as effective meds that be used instead--incurin or des are a better alternatives (imo).

I have never heard of this med. May I ask what it's purposes are?

It seems to be in the same group as amphetamin, methamphetamin and cocaine - which reduce appetite and excellerate the heart rate - had to ask google. But that can't be it's purpose, I think.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

I have never heard of this med. May I ask what it's purposes are?

It seems to be in the same group as amphetamin, methamphetamin and cocaine - which reduce appetite and excellerate the heart rate - had to ask google. But that can't be it's purpose, I think.

Correct in "that's not its purpose"--yet that's what happens in so many dogs.

I understand that the side effects are very severe and I would think twice before administering such a dangerous drug to one of my dogs. But I would like to know which medical issue has vets subscribe the meds to know what to look for and to find out if we have the same drug under a different name (to avoid it if possible).

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

I am terrified of Proin, so many dogs had deadly issues with them -- ours put Rainey one DES (before I ever heard of either, back in 2005). She was on it until she died in 2011. We were able to get her to just 1 pill a week after the first few months -- it was every day for a while, then our vet suggested weaning her down if she was doing good and see what dose worked (if she leaked, got back up 1 and keep it at that). Turned out 1 a week was enough.

I don't know if Proin is that different, but unless there's bad withdrawal issues with it, going every other day might not only be ok, you might find she can do well on the lower dose?

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

i happen to be in the kitchen cabinet where i keep my vitamins and dog meds. well, felix:73# was getting 12.5mg every other day. i have a bottle of 25mg Proin, i thought it was 50mg. it sure does sound like your pup should survive on a smaller dosage. maybe you will be able to reduce the dose if she responds well, but always talk to your vet. so, don't worry. btw, felix did loose a ton of weight on it and felt really stiff. there was a dramatic change once he was off and lucky for me-- only a couple of leaks here and there when he was running like a mad dog.(result of lower back issues that i am dealing w/)