Are Gh Also Scent Hounds?

Guest rferguson

Guest rferguson

We know they are sight hounds. But are they also skilled scent hounds?

I take my boy on walks and often his head is down drawing scents off the ground. Often swaying side to side like a tracker. Sometimes I think he even follows a scent.

This is similar behavior that I observed in a Vizsla, which is a state of the art hunting dog.

Around the house, his smell also finds things like treat crumbs or interesting finds in the basement.

One of my girls has competed in nosework. So have several other GT members' hounds. :) Pretty well all dogs are scenthounds. :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Wasserbuffel

They are classified as sighthounds because that's their primary mode of hunting game, by using their acute visual sense to track prey and their speed to catch it.

But they're still dogs, and have the keen sense of smell any other dog would have. Probably less keen than scenthound breeds, but not something they don't use.

Greyhounds primary hunting mode is through sight, but they *can* track as well. Your boy may enjoy participating in nosework or barn hunt classes.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Buck spends his entire morning walk hunting bunnies with his nose glued to the ground.

All dogs have keen senses of smell. The greyhound's advantage would be that not only could he find it by scent, he could see it very far away and run fast enough to catch it!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I was amused the first winter snowfall I walked my guys. They always would sniff, move around and eventually "find" something and spend time sniffing at it.

After the snow, I could see what they found -- always stopped to sniff at a yellow patch of snow :-)

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

I was amused the first winter snowfall I walked my guys. They always would sniff, move around and eventually "find" something and spend time sniffing at it.

After the snow, I could see what they found -- always stopped to sniff at a yellow patch of snow :-)

Our pups have been very good at finding mice tunneling in the snow.

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)