Won't Get In The Car

Have you tried with another person helping? This is what it took to get Cocoa to jump in for me (though admittedly she was just being a poop, she'd jumped in fine in her foster home). Have another person stand in an open rear door across from where you want the dog to jump, calling them and luring them with really desirable treats. That way they have an incentive, something to jump towards. Obviously if it works once, do it a whole bunch of times over and over. (I still have to throw a treat in ahead to get Cocoa to jump in about 50% of the time, or at least that makes it less of a production.)

Might not work if the dog has a real issue, but I wouldn't give up until you tried it.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Maybe she's like Rocket and would rather drive than ride. :bgeorge

Have you tried a McD's cheeseburger? :chow

:rotfl :rotfl I had a foster about 15 years ago and I kept telling him "Rowdy can't drive". Plain McD's cheeseburgers are magic. Filet of fish are that on steroids. We went to look for a loose grey in Corsicana (Gus?) and Buck immediately drug me into the woods...to the live trap..which was baited with a filet of fish sandwich.

On another note one year in Abilene I polled some of the larger owners and trainers in the business and to a man (and woman) they all said they had never used the term "kennel up" for the girls. Every one said they used "hup".

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Yes, the professional greyhound trainers/owners on Facebook all say they never in their lives have said "kennel up." That appears to be an adopter myth. I've always used "hup" myself. I don't even remember why....

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

What sort of ground is she standing on near the car? I have had several greys who would jump in if the car was backed up to grass, or if the ground was smooth paving or tarmac but were very reluctant to jump up off gravel which our drive is. Guess it hurt their feet to put on the pressure for a jump up.

Sue from England

If she won't even jump in the house, that's where I would start. Use one very high value treat that you only use for "jumping school." Use the furniture, use your bed, an ottoman, anything to get her butt off the ground on her own volition. Once she knows what to do an the command to do it, she *might* get the idea for the car.

You could also use something like the jumping bar they use during agility training which can start out on the ground and then be gradually raised.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I picked up a McD's burger for our afternoon visit to the vet. Been letting her sniff it. We'll see if helps.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

It's harder to get in the back seat of a car or small suv as it involves an awkward half step before the seat itself. Peggy really doesn't like it and won't jump because of that half step either (where the door fits).

To get them in the back reverse back to a curb or a low earth bank so that it's not so far to jump up. Toss in a high value treat first and run with the dog towards it..

I also put in an old rug that comes just out over the edge of the rear fender, and fold it back in to shut the door.

Rex O'Million would never get in the car on his own in his entire life with me. I did get him to put his front paws on the back seat then I boosted his eighty something pounds in.

Kimmie jumps immediately in on the command of "Hup!" Took her about 3 days to learn that. Gumpy? He's been with me 2 years and 4 months. A year ago he FINALLY learned that after Kimmie gets in that if I say "Hup!" to him he slowly puts his front paws on the edge of the open tailgate...looks at me proudly..and waits for me to boost his butt up. :) He's learning... slowly. Very slowly...taking his time.

My boy CAN jump, I've seen him clear 4 feet this morning jumping over the lawn mower this morning. (wasnt on or moving).

BUT inside he never tries to get onto the sofa or the bed and we dont want him up there either.

We are trying to teach him the Pause table that agility people use. starting with a non skid mat, then it gets put up 10 inches (we know he will do that as the scale at the vets office was that high). then gets raised from there. then the mat will we put in the back of the car for him to jump onto with the command.

Guest bubbagumpshrimp

One thought OP...you refer to your CRV as a "car," but ride height wise...those are a bit higher (more a compact SUV). It was a full year before we could get Barnaby to jump into my car (a small-ish sedan). It was roughly a year before he would even get up on the couch...and that's a wide open step up.

He still won't jump into his moms crossover (similar ride height to your vehicle). At ~90lbs...his mom has some difficultly getting him into her vehicle. I've been debating about making some kind of steps or a ramp for him.

Our boy is the same. We've had him almost a year, he's 5 yrs old. WILL NOT jump on, on anything! He won't jump on the bed, the couch or in the car. He absolutely loves car rides and we'll walk up to it and everything and then once the back is open he just stands there. He'll get his front feet up after you push him to do it but once he's there he just stiffens up. You can lift his hind legs to get him in, but im like 5'3 and he's 85 lbs. Everytime i do it it's like a mini crossfit session (which i don't do!) I've gotten in the back of the car, brought his favorite treats and toys. NOTHING. We have a ramp, he by no means loves it, but he'll go up it.

I've seen him jump up when we play catch in the backyard so i know he can do it, physically..

So weird.

Also he's amazing on stairs.

Edited by MSTmom

• 3 weeks later...
Guest budsmom

I can relate, only mine is an 85 pound boy! What I have to do with Duncan is get a running start. Start about a house length away from the car & run to it. Once he's moving, he doesn't have time to "think" about what he's doing & will jump in. We practice at least once a week, too, just so he doesn't back slide. I also had friends help me at first. Often the dog will behave better for someone strange because they don't know what they can get by with with that person yet - just like a kid.

Someone earlier mentioned what she is standing on when you are trying to have her get/jump in the car..

I had a girl who would quite willingly jump in the car (I have a SUV, so it was a bit higher). But, as she got older, one time her feet slipped a little on my smooth concrete garage floor as she was jumping in, causing her to 'miss' a little... and it scared her. After that, when she was on that smooth floor, she was reluctant. She would do it, with my encouragement and I learned to stand right by her to help her on in if she slipped. At my mother's, I would get a rubber backed throw rug and put it where she could use it and it helped. She also didn't like anything too close behind her when trying to jump, I guess she felt it was in her way.

Just a couple more thoughts... Right now I have 3 who won't jump in the car.. >sigh<

Lee: (RR's Busy): Oswald Cobblepot X Lively Layla (10/14/97 - 01/22/10) ; Cool: (P's Cool Runner): P's Raising Cain X My Cool Runner (3/3/97 - 12/26/09) ; Nutty: (Itsanutterbutter): State of the Art X Itsalmostsaintly ; Waterproof: (KB's Waterproof): Oshkosh Slammer X Special Lady* ; Sadie: my sweet silly girl: 5/5/98 - 11/26/05

When I first got my boy from the foster......she said he wouldn't jump up into the seats like yours wouldnt. All I did was put his front paws on seat...gave him a little push on the behind and said "up" and pointed to the seat. If he put his feet back on the ground....I would repeat it over again. When he put his feet on the ground again....I said "up" and pointed to the seat but just stood there. No attention...no eye contact. I repeat the front paws thing again and he finally got it. The command of "up" cant be squeaky voice but not yelling too. Just a good strong "up"

We've been making some progress with the ramp outside in the driveway. She freaks if you lift up her front end or front paws. Using high value treats.

She is also now fed her meals on the ramp with it up on a chair inside the house. Am gradually placing the bowl further up the ramp.

After having been able to get the previous 17 hounds in the car without issue, I am really working to convince little miss #18 to do the same.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Yaaay for progress :D What kind of high value treats are you using? They might work on my brat, LOL

Pupperoni, hot dogs, cheese, chicken, bits of bread with peanutbutter, plain McD's hamburger.

tiny hada siggy.png

This is quite a hilarious thread. What we go through...

My boy Archer (85 pounds of ridiculous muscle) who could easily go over a 5 foot barrier, once completely spazzed out while trying jump into the back of my very high SUV. He seemed to forget his hind quarters and landed his torso right on the bumper. After that no jumping in or out (which was a great safety feature when unloading). At first I just scooped his whole body up and gently placed him on the bed in the back of the truck. The problem was that he absolutely loved it when I held him like that. When I tried to transition to placing his front feet up and then just hoisting his rear end, he responded by refusing to get close the vehicle. He would stand some distance away so that he would have to be carried like a baby by his daddy. What a character.

OMG! KickReturn- that is soooooo my grey. He is 82lb at the moment. He has had toe injuries so my husband HAD to lift him in and out of the car for vet visits. He will stand still and the his head flops back all happy at being hugged. I can't lift him so have to shovel the goofy dog into the back of our Subaru. For me he will allow the paws up, stuff in.. but for hubby he gives sad eyes and gets picked up. NO NO NO! His high treat reward is being patted and cuddled. SO we cant just throw a treat in to get him to follow.