Won't Get In The Car

After 17 dogs I have never had a challenge loading a dog into a car until my new foster. I've tried every trick I know - happy voice, really good treats, favorite toy, other dogs showing her how to do it, and repeat repeat repeat until a dog gets it.

I've got a 2003 Honda CR-V and am trying to get her in the front or back seat since they are lower than the rear compartment. Her previous foster mom of 9 months also had to lift her in and out of her car.

The only thing I haven't tried is a ramp or steps. Don't have any of those on hand but still doubt she'd approach them.

Once she's about 2 feet from the car she freezes, stiff-legged, but doesn't try to run away. I've tried walking back and forth beside the car before stopping at the already-opened door. Positioning her to lift and put her front feet on the door jamb doesn't encourage her to keep moving.

Although treat motivated in the house and backyard, she ignores even the stinkiest treats in the car.

Once she's in the car she is fine and enjoys the ride. No drooling, restlessness or puking.

She weighs about 50 lbs. and is as dead a weight as a sack of potatoes. She lets me lift her and doesn't try to squirm.

She's nearly 10 years old and does not appear to have any arthritis or pain problems.

I just can't keep lifting her as occasionally I get bad back spasms.

Suggestions?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

No suggestions because of your back. At 50 pounds, I'd just keep putting her in, but those foam steps would probably work. It would be easier, anyway, to get her front legs on the bottom step, the next step,etc.

Did I ever tell you that George once jumped into my CR-V via the tailgate WINDOW?? I hadn't yet opened the tailgate door (which on my model opened like a book), and I was talking to someone, and I felt the leash move, and when I looked, he was in the car! Well done George, well done!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Maybe she's like Rocket and would rather drive than ride. :bgeorge

It took stinky liver treats to get Rocket to jump in on his own the first time. Prior to that I was having to lift his back end after he'd put his front paws on the seat. Once he did that one time, I never had to left him again. I had him smell the treat and then threw it to the opposite side of the car so he had to go after it.

Have you tried a McD's cheeseburger? :chow

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Welcome to my world. I've had Crow nearly two years and he will not get in the car. He has no fears of it, travels fine, no car sickness. Will. Not. Get. In. :blink:

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Sounds like she's just too anxious about something when standing outside the car. Have you tried upping the treat value significantly? Like KFC chicken or McD's like suggested above? Will she let you lift her back end if you put her front feet in the car? You might need to do something like that for the time being. Also, she just might not *know* how to jump that high. Will she jump on a high bed or onto the couch?

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Chris, the only time she has put her feet up on my bed was when a toy was up there. Wanted it but wouldn't jump to get it though. When I took that toy outside to the car she still froze 2 feet from it. Didn't matter if the toy was right beside her, on the seat, on the floorboard, or being squeaked, she wouldn't budge.

Meredith, you aren't offering much hope with your example of Crow. :lol

I'll give the McDonalds' burger a try next.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Meredith, you aren't offering much hope with your example of Crow. :lol

On the bright side, yours weighs about 20lbs less than Crow :lol I've tried various treats, etc. with him, and to no avail. He'll act like he wants to get the treat, but then just stops. In his case, he *can* jump up - he gets up on our bed (about the same height, if not higher than my CRV) and he gets up on all the furniture. I cannot figure him out :lol

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Lila was the same way when I first got her. She would go in her foster’s minivan just fine, but nothing could get her into the backseat of my car. I lifted her in, front end then back end, to get her to her new dog vet exam. The stupid vet then insisted on examining her on the table so she got lifted up again. She’s a feet on the floor kinda girl, so that must have been enough for one day because when it was time to go home she just hopped right in the car and she’s been fine ever since. I guess my point is that one day maybe she’ll just decide to do it. My only suggestion would be a backseat hammock if you’re not using one already.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Do you have someone that could sit in the seat with a stinky high value treat and you outside trying to guide her in? Have you tried the run up approach? (Some of em need speed at first!)

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

You say she freezes about two feet from the car? If she were a horse I'd start by moving just one of her feet toward the car. Stop. Lavish praise. Then turn her around and walk away. Repeat repeat repeat. One foot gets closer, then another, etc. It's time consuming but can make for a solid individual so that you're not constantly having this issue with every car ride.

I'm also wondering if she incurs pain in her back, her hips, a leg, or her neck when jumping up or did at one time and that's causing her reluctant behavior.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I thought I'd also add.....Ryder gets decisive about jumping in my car if he doesn't have the right angle or if something in his mind is encumbering his space behind him. Heaven forbid his tail grazes the garage wall or that he is not jumping in straight on. I'm wondering if you might need to make a visual block to the empty footwell as she may not be able to have the right......well depth perception isn't the word I'm looking for, but the focus might not be on jumping UP on the car seat because there is a visual distraction and instead a big scary black hole of the foot area is what she's seeing and causing her to stop? Maybe put up a board and cover the whole area with a blanket so it looks more inviting? Which begs the question, does she have any vision problems?

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Our Larry's been a champ about getting in the car since we got him in 2011, however if his corns are really bad (or he doesn't have his TheraPaw on) he will hesitate and occasionally not jump at all into the car.

perhaps something similar is going on?

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I've had twelve year old Gigi for over three years. She won't get in any vehicle. I walk/run her to the opening, but she stops two feet away. I drag/push/walk her closer, put her front feet up, lift her back legs high and shove her forward. She is ok once inside. I have tried my friend's lower vehicle, but she does the same thing. I've had eleven greys, and she is the only one to do this. I recently had her walk with another dog, walk up to the car, but refuse to follow him in. I've tried all the suggestions above, and just do it her way.

you said it , "her previous foster mom of 9 months lifted her" that's her learned behavior.

try everything else that everyone has mentioned. unfortunately the knee in the butt will NOT work due to the anatomy of the CRV. mmmmm....liverwurst in a cup on the other floor mat? if that doesn't motivate her then i think your stuck lifting weights. good for the bones....our that is...

Out of curiosity - try the phrase "Kennel Up" in a commanding voice next time. I've seen that used with some hounds and even Rocket will respond to it. Must be a holdover from the track kennel.

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Out of curiosity - try the phrase "Kennel Up" in a commanding voice next time. I've seen that used with some hounds and even Rocket will respond to it. Must be a holdover from the track kennel.

She's a sighthound but not a greyhound.

you said it , "her previous foster mom of 9 months lifted her" that's her learned behavior.

That makes sense and yet still doesn't make my back happy. :P

We just got in from walking back and forth just a few houses on our culdesac, then up the driveway, past the scary open door but I'm ignoring it, round and round in the front yard and past the car, in no pattern. Slowly shortened the leash and had pupperoni treats handy. Still putting on the brakes at the same point 2 ft from the open car door. Was able to nudge by pushing her hind end and got close enough to lift the front legs to the seat. Hoisted her rear end up. Still acted like a statue. Wouldn't turn around in the seat so she could get out. I had to lift and pivot.

Definitely trying McDonalds tomorrow.

tiny hada siggy.png

She's a sighthound but not a greyhound.

That makes sense and yet still doesn't make my back happy. :P

We just got in from walking back and forth just a few houses on our culdesac, then up the driveway, past the scary open door but I'm ignoring it, round and round in the front yard and past the car, in no pattern. Slowly shortened the leash and had pupperoni treats handy. Still putting on the brakes at the same point 2 ft from the open car door. Was able to nudge by pushing her hind end and got close enough to lift the front legs to the seat. Hoisted her rear end up. Still acted like a statue. Wouldn't turn around in the seat so she could get out. I had to lift and pivot.

Definitely trying McDonalds tomorrow.

Didn't realize that she wasn't a racer. You might have to teach her the phrase "Mickey D's" and take her through the drive-thru a few times. Of course, you'll have to stop there every time you got out if she learns that one! :bgeorge

On the bright side, yours weighs about 20lbs less than Crow :lol I've tried various treats, etc. with him, and to no avail. He'll act like he wants to get the treat, but then just stops. In his case, he *can* jump up - he gets up on our bed (about the same height, if not higher than my CRV) and he gets up on all the furniture. I cannot figure him out :lol

Yup, Rufus is the same way. He'll get up on our bed no problem, but refuses to jump in either via the side door or hatch. Jumping out is no problem. Luckily, Fergus will jump up on anything, so it's just the one dog. Some just won't do it.

Didn't realize that she wasn't a racer. You might have to teach her the phrase "Mickey D's" and take her through the drive-thru a few times. Of course, you'll have to stop there every time you got out if she learns that one! :bgeorge

The downside of that plan is that if she still isn't motivated to jump in she will have gained some extra pounds. <_<:lol

tiny hada siggy.png

This is more of an aside than a suggestion: Rain. Pink was a PITA about getting into the car. Eventually we compromised on her putting her front feet up so that I only had to boost the back end. Then one day when we were leaving school, it was raining hard. I opened the door and she hopped in. She was able to hop in on her own after that, even at a wobbly 13+ years.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

See if she will jump in the rear. While it is higher visually there is a lot more space and the door is more out of the way.. Sometimes the doors on the side are what is bothering the dog. To them one side is closed off.

Tried having all doors open. Still a no go.

I am leaning toward getting a ramp. A long one so the ascent isn't steep. Just don't think she'd do stairs, including the one Jey created.

Mixed reviews on all the ramps. I like this one since it has supporting legs rather than risking the ramp slipping. It's 56" long. Not tall enough to be flush with the back hatch but better for the back seat.

https://www.amazon.com/Pet-Gear-Free-Standing-Carpeted-Chocolate/dp/B008HRKQWA/ref=sr_1_4?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1473951401&sr=1-4&keywords=pet%2Bramp&refinements=p_89%3APet%2BGear&th=1

Nixing the idea of McD training today. Chiropractor said this morning that I have to go easier on my back. Her ability to get in the car factors into whether she gets to change her foster status.

Edited by macoduck

tiny hada siggy.png