Mini Stroke (Ischemic Attack)

Guest Cardiffcouple

Guest Cardiffcouple

We think Gracie had a mini stroke day before yesterday. Vet concurs. Friday afternoon she was crying, then she lost her balance. Her legs were all wonky and she was walking in circles to the right. By the time we got to the vet she wasn't able to walk; Mike had to carry her. Her temp was normal, her heart was good and her gums were good. She had to stay the night at our vets. He gave her a saline drip that had a small amount of valium as well as a med to decrease swelling in her brain. We picked her up yesterday afternoon. Vet said she had not improved as much as he hoped she would. Mike carried her back out to the car and we took her home. Last night she cried a lot (Gracie cries a lot as a form of communication) but it was clear she was distressed. She ate a bit of dinner. Today she went outside and ran for a few feet. She also jumped up on the bed. We are hoping that she is going in a positive direction. We are beginning to wonder if she is now blind in her left eye. We are hoping that each day she will improve. Our vet said that an MRI or CT would tell us conclusively if it was a stroke. If the test is done and it is concluded to be a stroke, what then? Does the treatment for her change just because we confirmed what it was?

Has anyone had any experience with their dogs having a mini-stroke? We would really appreciate any input. Thank you very much! (Gracie just turned nine in May.)

Chris

Sorry to hear this. If in fact your hound had a stroke (ischemic) these guys respond very well to low dose aspirin therapy. In fact I have my boy on 40mg of aspirin as a preventive measure. Sure the advanced imaging would yield a definitive diagnosis, however, you have to ask yourself if it was anything other than a stroke (brain tumor) would you proceed with further treatment -if yes, then I recommend you pursue the MRI.

I would start the aspirin.

Page 3

http://downloads.tripawds.com/files/2009/10/1009_GreyhoundBleedingStudy.pdf

Edited by tbhounds

It's early days yet for stroke recovery, so don't think that your girl is done healing. These dogs are incredibly resilient and often surprise us by how quickly and completely they get better following TIAs like this one.

I had a dog suffer a seizure after a vaccine injection. She wasn't breathing in the back of my car when we got to the e-vet and had to be rescussitated. She couldn't walk, was on a ventilator, couldn't see, and they were keeping her sedated when I left to go home to sleep. The e-vet who was attending her said I should prepare myself for the worst. The next morning, she was up and staggering around on her own, going potty, and even eating for them! Three days later, she walked out of the hospital and jumped into the back of my car.

She may have been crying due to the effects of whatever medication was in her drip, or from feeling weird following the incident, or just because she wanted attention, or had to go potty more from all the saline, or she could have been anxious from being away from home all nite. The important thing is to see if she is improving each day (or every couple days), which it sounds like she's doing. Even if she has lost sight in one eye, it's highly likely that will resolve with time.

I would only pursue advanced diagnostics if you would be inclined to treat her differently depending on the diagnosis.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Doodles had a spinal stroke December 2014, spent 8 days in the hospital. Ultimately, she made a complete recovery after several months of acupuncture and cold laser, which she still gets every 3 weeks our more as needed.. I think she had a small stroke in Oct of last year. I rushed her to the emergency vet, by the time we got there, she was doing better. Her neurologist started her on half a cardio aspirin daily and she has tolerated that very well. She was 11, almost 12, when she had the FCE. She's 13 years 4+ months now. She's slowing down and her back end is weak, but her spirit is strong. When she had the FCE we decided no MRI, the neurologist didn't think it was a great idea to put her through the stress of it...she was very stressed staying in the animal hospital.

Good luck to you.

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Poodle actually had two and did well on aspirin therapy (if you don't count the fact that the second one occurred). He recovered from both remarkably. There was a point of contention when one of my vets wanted an MRI and I couldn't afford it. This was when I was on food stamps and before my disability award. She said (insert icicles) "If this is a matter of how LITTLE you can spend on this dog we can try aspirin therapy". Never forgave her. Poodle lived a good life after both.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

My boy had a TIA 6 years ago, which affected his eyesight on one side. He wasn't blind in the eye, but he definitely couldn't see properly out of it - perhaps double vision or similar. He recovered completely within about a week, including his eyesight. He is on 20mg aspirin twice a day, but he is a big boy.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Guest Cardiffcouple

Thank you to everyone who responded. It helps us greatly to hear your experiences. Up until Wednesday we thought she was not going to make it. On Thursday she was a different dog! Much more activity. Almost back to her old self. She still hangs her head down a bit and to the right and her back right leg isn't as coordinated as it was and still walks in circles a bit, but overall, we are really happy. Mike thinks she is even getting her eye sight back. She is eating great and pooping great. Hugely appreciate your input. Thank you!