Heat And Walking

Guest kar

how long does everyone walk their hounds during the summer? snow is 9 and is reluctant to walk far. I walk her early morning and late evening. In the winter she will walk for almost an hour.

She also is having recurrent uti's . Does anyone have any experience with this with their dogs?

No walks here. Way too hot. What state do you live in?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

We reduce distance a lot above 70 degrees Fahrenheit. At most we go about 1 mile in the morning and maybe 1.5 miles at night, if it is late evening and has cooled down and is shady. In the sun I may not go farther than 0.3 miles or less, basically partway down one street. Logan (the young dog) is my "timer" -- he gets tired and lays down, and good luck getting him back up. Unfortunately he does not understand that he needs to turn around before he reaches his limit, and it can be very hard to turn him to turn back -- but if I don't then he tires out and lays down and getting him moving to go back home is near impossible.

Max (almost 12 yo) is actually much better with the heat, and it is amusing that he gets upset with Logan for stopping the walk. I figure that Logan provides a good check -- if Logan finds it is too long it is probably not safe for senior Max.

So basically, for my dogs I would say 70s or hotter with sun we are going 0.5 mile or less. 70's or hotter in shade might go up to a mile to a mile and a half. Needs to be in the 60's or lower before we go up to 2 miles or more in a single trip.

I think the humidity is also a big factor, Logan really hates warm humid air.

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

We've had to skip mid-day walks altogether lately. It's been in the 90s and very humid--not pleasant for hounds or humans. If we even attempt to walk Sweep, she plops right down in the front yard and can't be budged. Even our morning and evening walks are no more than 10-15 minutes (maybe half a mile) in the summer months. It's just not worth the risk as far as I'm concerned. We try to make up for it with more car rides and trips to pet-friendly stores, and as soon as temps drop we'll build back up to longer walks again.

Edited by ramonaghan

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

I try to walk them in the morning. Today, we walked about 11:30 which was a little late and it was already too hot. Both of my guys were really panting when we came back. Also, the biting flies are terrible this year.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Teague is also 9 and the heat really slows him down. We were doing 8-10 km jogs a few months ago but in the heat we go about 3km with a soak in the pond halfway to cool down. I always worry he is slowing down, but then he is right back to his usual self when the cooler weather comes. Greys are incredibly heat sensitive, more than any other breed I have had. Teague is just happy to get out...sometimes we just go and sit somewhere. That is plenty to tire him out and make him think he did something special that day :)

Guest chickenpotpie

Since I've been in Florida, I've had to nix the afternoon walk. She goes outside and sits in the grass for a few, but thats about the extent of it. We now walk very early morning, and in the evening hit the beach. She loves the beach. Also seems to want to nab herself a peacock.... and they're not scared of dogs either!! I told her don't risk it as I can't save her if they whip her tail...lol

We're not doing afternoon walks here in Texas anymore. Redbo will go out on a walk around 9:30pm or 10pm, but that is it. When we lived in the apartment, afternoon walks were 15 minutes max depending on how hard he was panting and how far his tongue was sticking out of his mouth.

popos_zpsgq0lbak1.png

I also live in an apartment without a backyard and NYC gets hot and humid in the summer. We hate it. Anything over 60 degrees is too hot. We go to the park early in the mornings at around 7am and then again at night. And they get a short afternoon potty break and another short potty break before bed time. My boys are 6 and 7. One black and one brindle. The black one especially does not tolerate the heat.

Speaking of heat. I just had a horrifying event with my Greyhound a couple days ago. I live in Grand Junction, Co. It was 100 degrees and I had to let my Grey and Saluki go potty around 6 p.m. The back yard has no shade. I was going to watch them do doggy duty and bring them right back into the house. They both took off to run a lap in the yard. (Not very big yard.) The Saluki, Wafi, was fine. Samlur, my Grey ran one lap an collapsed. His tongue turned blue, mouth open, eyes glazed. Breath shallow. After five minutes of rubbing his chest, my husband picked him up and carried in the house. I covered him with a with a wet towel. Misted his feet with water kept massaging, After half hour he started coming around .He evacuated his bowels. I gave him ice cubes after misting his mouth. He was sluggish all evening. Luckily he is fine now but I only take him out on leash to do his duty and right back in. Very scary. Do you think it was heat stroke. My vet was out of town.

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

Annie, who will be 9 in a few months, does like heat at all. She's happy walking when the temp is no higher than 40, and if it's a sunny day with a high dew point, even 40 is too hot for her. She's most happy when the temp is 20 or lower. We used to walk 1.5 to 2 miles every morning starting about 8:30. Since the beginning of May, with the exception of a few "chilly days," we walk at the most a mile and we start our morning walks no later than 7:15. She acts like she wants to go more because she plants herself in front of the driveway and won't move, but with her tongue hanging out and her stopping every 50 feet or so to lean against me, I know it's too hot for her and it's not going to happen.

About 5 PM, we walk again so she'll do her afternoon poo (which she will not do in the fenced backyard at that time of the day), but we only do half a mile.

I love warm weather but I'll be glad to see autumn and cool temps so we can return to our schedule of good walking. I just hope that her aging body, which is in good health, returns to the long walks.

Edited by Feisty49

Speaking of heat. I just had a horrifying event with my Greyhound a couple days ago. I live in Grand Junction, Co. It was 100 degrees and I had to let my Grey and Saluki go potty around 6 p.m. The back yard has no shade. I was going to watch them do doggy duty and bring them right back into the house. They both took off to run a lap in the yard. (Not very big yard.) The Saluki, Wafi, was fine. Samlur, my Grey ran one lap an collapsed. His tongue turned blue, mouth open, eyes glazed. Breath shallow. After five minutes of rubbing his chest, my husband picked him up and carried in the house. I covered him with a with a wet towel. Misted his feet with water kept massaging, After half hour he started coming around .He evacuated his bowels. I gave him ice cubes after misting his mouth. He was sluggish all evening. Luckily he is fine now but I only take him out on leash to do his duty and right back in. Very scary. Do you think it was heat stroke. My vet was out of town.

Really scary for you.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Salukis tolerate the heat and even cold much much better than our greyhounds. I used to take mine ice fishing. Andtm that sounds like heat stroke. Felix collapsed last summer when we brought him to texas. They just can not handle heat.he has been boarded for a month now,no more texas heat for him!! Edited by cleptogrey