Pre-Dental Procedures

Just curious - What instructions does your vet give you for the NIGHT & MORNING before a dental procedure is done?

We have had conflicting info from various vets - each seem to have a preferred method.

The latest is: No food after 8PM, water is okay. (Some vets have said the more water the better prior to the procedure...)

What is the procedure you have followed for your grey?

Thanks!

For anesthesia (as on a dental): No food or water after midnight (and then we drop off the dog by 8am).

For blood draws for lab work: No food after midnight, but all the water they want.

I always schedule first-thing-in-the-morning blood draws to go with first-thing-in-the-morning urine samples.

ETA: Differing instructions from vets might depend on whether they need to pull blood for pre-surgical lab work as well as time-of-day for the surgery. If they won't get to the dentals until 2 or 3 in the afternoon, they may have different rules than for the early-morning patients. (My vet does tricky stuff early, routine stuff late.)

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

we just had our first so no real experience, but no food 12 hours or less before drop off (which was 8am) but water was ok. As per others, our vet does more tricky stuff early and "routine" later but did Larry at 11:00am. I would think some water was ok as long as it was a little and they don't tank up.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest Sportingfields

Any scheduled surgery my vet has ever done was

1. No food after 9 PM

2. Let them drink all the water they want right up till we leave the house

Drop is always between 7:30 - 8:00 AM, and surgery was always completed by noon

Pick up by 5 PM

I've had 3 different vets over the past 21 yrs, we've had dentals, lump removal, spay/neuter, ACL surgery done with same instructions

EVet for stitches, they just ask when they ate last & has never been a problem even if it was an hour before the accident.

One of my vets said that sedation is easier on an empty stomach, less chance of regurgitation after procedure

We've only ever had routine blood draws done during office visits on basically healthy dogs, so there has never been fasting instructions

All that said, follow whatever instructions the attending physician for this surgery gave you. Each has their own way of doing things that works best for them.

Be ready for your pup to act like you are abusing him by not feeding breakfast per schedule. This is one of the reasons why I love being able to drop off early

Edited by Sportingfields

No food after 10pm and no water after 7am day of GA

Drop off at 8.30-9am but don't think they tend to do go into surgery till nearer lunch time as usually have to ring at 1-2pm and at times its ring back later if some emergencys cropped up. Usually blood test pre-op so fasting anyway. I think with some stitching they can use a local anesthetic as i had that option with Pru but she was due a dental.

My preference is to have pre-op testing done on a visit a week or two prior to the procedure. That way we are not rushed to discuss things and know in advance if a result contra-indicates getting the procedure.

No food after 9. Some water allowed in the AM as my vet wants him/her to remain hydrated. I always ask for monitoring and IV line in place.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Our last ones were no food after midnight, water is fine. Seemed to be independent of what time we might start the sedation as one was an afternoon appt and the others were AM appts.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Both of my vets, no food after midnight, water all the way through drop-off. The staff at the new vet tells us no water after midnight, but the vet says keep giving it. I do the blood-work a week in advance, I've never been told to withhold food/water for that.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Blood work on dogs who've eaten can be influenced by fat droplets--lipemia. This can interfere with some tests. I'd never fasted my girl for blood work until the vet asked for it on her latest lab work because she had some iffy numbers on the previous test. (Her fasted test was fine.) I'll fast before blood work from now on just so I don't wind up having to repeat tests because of dubious numbers. http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/preparing-your-pet-for-a-blood-test/274

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Nothing to eat or drink after midnight.

We do blood work well in advance, as my vet won't DO the dental until the lab work comes back, and why schedule the procedure if you're not going to end up doing it?

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck