Best Bones?

Guest CatchAllsMom

Guest CatchAllsMom

After reading everything that I can get my hands on about what not to feed greyhounds, I am really having trouble making a decision on what type of bones are safe to give to my new family member, Catch All. As a new greyhound parent, I am trying my best to provide the best forever home to my retired racer without harming him.

I am looking for a bone that I can give in the evening to occupy his time as well as aid in teeth cleaning. I have read that rawhide is not acceptable for greyhounds.

Thoughts?

There is no such thing as a safe bone. Or anything else in life! LOL I feed raw and am blessed to have very sensible chewers. I can give really hard weight bearing bones and they will be smart about not cracking teeth (so far)

Rawhides are not digestible and are a chocking hazzard. Bad gummy dangerous mess.

With a new hound I would start out with pressed rawhide. I'm pretty sure that's what is called. Not the cheap ground up and dried together stuff from the dollar store.

Next try bully sticks. Those may be much higher value so be careful feeding a new pup those. They smell awful and are delicious. Don't set yourself up for a growl or guarding scenario.

Cow ears are good. Pig ears are yummy, but have a high fat content. Some pups don't do well with them.

Enjoy!

This type of compressed rawhide

https://www.rawpawspetfood.com/beef-pressed-rawhide-sticks-p/dprawp.htm?1=1&CartID=0

Can probably find it cheaper elsewhere online.

Also CONGRATS on your new baby. ☺️

------

Jessica

We give marrow bones but only with 100% supervision. I have them cut to about 2 inches - 2 1/2 inches wide at the butcher shop. I usually give them frozen so that they last a little longer.

In our case, Rocket pretty much gets the marrow out of them, and gnaws any attached meat off of them, but doesn't really crunch down or seem to do anything risky with them. Once he's cleaned off the bone, he walks away.

I also buy the Supreme Bully Sticks from Best Bully Sticks, usually when Amazon has them on sale. His teeth look great after a bully stick.

Don;t give too many until know what your hound's stomach can handle. We usually on give either item about twice a week, sometimes 3 times but no more.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I feed raw, too and prefer lamb or sheep ribs. Even my oldest, Colin who is some teeth short can easily manage them.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

I give my guys these:

http://smile.amazon.com/Dentleys-Natures-Center-Stuffed-Cheese/dp/B016069HDI/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1463850646&sr=8-10&keywords=dog+filled+femur+bone

They don't work the bone very much, just lick out the filling, keeps them busy for anywhere from 5 min to a half hour or more depending on their dedication. Probably not beneficial for teeth, but at least takes them more than the 5 sec to wolf down a dog treat. They have never tried to swallow them, and I think they would be too big to do so though perhaps a young dog might try.

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

Excellent question. I agree, unfortunately, that there aren't any truly safe bones. Bones can get stuck in roof of dog's mouth, lower jaw or throat; cause internal blockage; fractured teeth; splintering bones cause internal punctures; marrow often causes diarrhea/tummy problems. Rawhide, pigs ears, etc. can cause choking and internal blockages also. Rawhide is indigestible, and rawhide's source safety can be questionable. If large rawhide bones are given, they should be taken away from dog before chews get too small. Discard in a secure garbage can outside. Dogs should always be supervised if given any bones mentioned above.

If needed, safest method to take back a dog's highly valued resource/bone is to "trade up" by offering dog a safer high value meat treat (tripe, cheese, etc.) that can be safely ingested.

Also, teaching "drop it" with less valued objects or toys before needing it in an emergency.

Hard Nylabones are an option, but even they can fracture teeth of very strong chewers. (I'm not a fan of soft Nylabones due to material pieces being chewed off and ingested.)

Stuffed Kongs are one of the safest options to keep dogs busy; however, if needed for alone training, Kongs are often reserved as extra special "alone training" activity treats.

Daily gentle tooth brushing with a pet toothbrush, and pet safe toothpaste is ideal for dogs, especially Greyhounds. (Poultry flavor is most dogs' favorite toothpaste.) Gentle brushing only takes a minute, and very effectively prevents soft plaque from hardening to tartar. :)

Many Greyhounds enjoy playing with toys. Our hounds favorite, and longest lasting toys are Tuffie Toys: http://www.tuffietoys.com/ultimate-ring

"Ultimate series" (Toughness scale 9) works well here, and have lasted many years with our own hounds and fosters.

Congratulations on your new adoption! :)

I buy smoked knuckles (cow). I've tried lots and these have worked the best for us. These don't splinter, he doesn't give up on them after an hour, they last a few sessions actually before he loses interest and they do a wonderful job keeping his teeth clean, and he never gets sick (no puke or D). I of course supervise while he's at it, but there is no part of this particular bone he can crack off and have stuck in his throat.

Rawhide is a no no for all dogs IMO, not just greys.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Rawhide is as "acceptable" for greyhounds as for any other dog--which is to say it's probably best avoided!

They end up swallowing it and it just sits in their stomach seemingly forever, and eventually they'll poop out a nasty gooey mess.

I give my dog marrow bones from the supermarket twice a week. He loves them, they're inexpensive, and it's something for him to look forward to on weekends. Not sure how well they clean his teeth, but I do it more for his entertainment.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck