Walter's Full Body Muscle Spasm

https://youtu.be/g9WcOs1372Q

https://youtu.be/9dZ__vq9IPQ

https://youtu.be/LGdc1A1JmJ4

video links above to aftermath of whatever happened to Walter. This happened once before, Nov 2014, and it seemed like a very bad muscle cramp. This time was worse, it appeared to affect his whole body. He couldn't bend his legs to lay down, so he kept stumbling around (like he was drunk) he used the hallway to keep him up while he moved forward. He went head first into a cable jack in our bedroom and I saw him go head first into the wall of our living room. He wasn't able to

7218108076_e406044464_t.jpg 7004700518_27fa752995_t.jpg Walter (Windy Walker) and Ernie (PG Ernest) @WalterWallerson and IG: WalterandErnie 7150803233_d0700ccbdc_t.jpg 7004711314_ceba54665a_t.jpg

video links above to aftermath of whatever happened to Walter. This happened once before, Nov 2014, and it seemed like a very bad muscle cramp. This time was worse, it appeared to affect his whole body. He couldn't bend his legs to lay down, so he kept stumbling around (like he was drunk) he used the hallway to keep him up while he moved forward. He went head first into a cable jack in our bedroom and I saw him go head first into the wall of our living room. He wasn't able to

7218108076_e406044464_t.jpg 7004700518_27fa752995_t.jpg Walter (Windy Walker) and Ernie (PG Ernest) @WalterWallerson and IG: WalterandErnie 7150803233_d0700ccbdc_t.jpg 7004711314_ceba54665a_t.jpg

video links above to aftermath of whatever happened to Walter. This happened once before, Nov 2014, and it seemed like a very bad muscle cramp. This time was worse, it appeared to affect his whole body. He couldn't bend his legs to lay down, so he kept stumbling around (like he was drunk) he used the hallway to keep him up while he moved forward. He went head first into a cable jack in our bedroom and I saw him go head first into the wall of our living room. He wasn't able to lift his head, so his head/nose/snout was perpendicular to the floor, so he hit the wall with the "top" of his head. The second link is about 30 minutes after the incident (15 minutes after the end of the first video) and he starts panting. The third video is about 45 minutes of him resting on his couch

Edited by WalterWallerson

Looks like the aftermath of a seizure to me. You need to video the actual incident, should it occur again. And begin documenting the incidents - date, time, activity observed before/during/after, any unusual daily activity for the 12 hours or so beforehand too.

Give him some full fat vanilla ice cream to help get his blood sugar back up. Seizures really spike body temperature and use up glucose, which is why they sem hot and tired. A cold pack on the back of the neck head will help too.

There's lots of info online (and here on GT) about seizures. Make sure you mention them to your vet, though since they are so far apart that there's really no treatment for him at this point.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Looks like the aftermath of a seizure to me. You need to video the actual incident, should it occur again. And begin documenting the incidents - date, time, activity observed before/during/after, any unusual daily activity for the 12 hours or so beforehand too.

Give him some full fat vanilla ice cream to help get his blood sugar back up. Seizures really spike body temperature and use up glucose, which is why they sem hot and tired. A cold pack on the back of the neck head will help too.

There's lots of info online (and here on GT) about seizures. Make sure you mention them to your vet, though since they are so far apart that there's really no treatment for him at this point.

it lasted about 20 seconds. i was trying to get Ernie away from Walter when it first happened because I was afraid Ernie would hip check him thinking it was play time. he seems to be in pain, can i give him a rimadyl or will that make it worse?

it's very disconcerting to see Walter stressed like that. I have no advice but I'm sending a lot of payers and good thoughts for Wally. I'll email you my cell number, call or text if you need anything. I'm here for you.

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

Could be a seizure, but another thing to consider is a transient ischemic attack (TIA) which may have temporarily damaged a nerve somewhere. My boy had one a few years ago which temporarily damaged a nerve which affected his eyesight in one eye for about a week.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Without having seen what happened, I did have something a little similar with Opal. Severe cramping in her back legs. Brought her down. Couldn't walk. But she wasn't as stressed as Walter seems. The vets put her on Magnesium.

But because of his stress, I'm thinking more of TIA or something like that.

Seeing something like this happen to your dog is very upsetting, regardless of what it might be or the cause.Really sounds like a seizure to me & videos could most definitely be a dog recovering from a seizure. Have seen quite a few seizures, in both dogs & humans. Those come in all types. One dog I knew had partial seizures that often effected just one hind leg. It could have been mistaken for a muscle spasm. Eventually she started having generalized seizures.

Definitely follow up with your vet. Ask what you should do if it happens again. If these episodes are seizures, you need to have a serious conversation about early treatment. From all I've heard, each time there is a seizure it actually lowers the seizures threshold, increasing the likelihood of more seizures.

Hoping I'm wrong & this wasn't a seizure. Good luck.

Any update?

Hopefully Walter has seen a Vet today......

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Glad he is OK.

So very stressful for Walter and his family.

Good for them for recording the event.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Definitely follow up with your vet. Ask what you should do if it happens again. If these episodes are seizures, you need to have a serious conversation about early treatment. From all I've heard, each time there is a seizure it actually lowers the seizures threshold, increasing the likelihood of more seizures.

Hoping I'm wrong & this wasn't a seizure. Good luck.

NGAP was basically a waste of my time. She couldn't tell me anything, she didn't mention this - which I read an analogy about a path through trees in the forest. I find myself more & more dissatisfied with NGAP each time I go and I'm seriously considering why I still go back. I keep telling myself its because they know greyhounds but at this point, I'm probably better off going anywhere else. They saw me on very short notice, but they also couldn't tell me anything. I mean, nothing. She tested him for lyme, and they are running bloodwork.

general Walter update:

I went to work Friday. Friday morning everything was business as usual. Walkies, breakfast, cheese snack, avoiding kissing me goodbye because I was leaving for work and both boys get muzzles. I checked in on them during the day (we have a webcam) but honestly it made me really anxious because if I watched him have a seizure, there is nothing I can do about it because I'm at work (teacher) about 35 minutes away.

he was sore thursday night and Friday morning, so he got a rimadyl with dinner thursday & breakfast Friday. He does not appear to be in any discomfort at this time, but previously he was lifting his left leg/paw so I am assuming it was a sore muscle. the only other odd thing is that he has not been fiesty and saying TAKE ME OUT I HAVE TO PEE and WHERE IS MY DINNER WOMAN. this isn't necessarily concerning because he does get excited when I put his coat on, and he is eating dinner normally, but he hasn't been asking/demanding which is odd. Today (Saturday) we slept until 9:30 which is insanely late for all 3 of us because again, normally Walter is waking me up at the latest by 8:30. Don't get me wrong, I needed the sleep because I've slept very poorly the last couple nights but this is not typical. We'll see how tomorrow goes.

I guess the good news is that the episode, whether it was a seizure or not, is very short, lasts less than a minute. the bad news this time was that he hit the wall at least twice and his head is a mess. its traumatic for both of us i suppose because you know, instinctually that you shouldn't run head first into a wall, and i couldn't get there fast enough to stop it.

the last time this happened was November 2014 so I could wait another year and a half for this to happen again, if it has to happen again. for the mean time we are resting at home with no real answers besides if it happens again we should record the duration, time & date and be aware that seizing for that long will raise his temp. (thanks for nothing ngap!)

Give my buddy a kiss from his auntie. (An Ernie too, can't have a jealous brudder)

:beatheart

thank you MP

Walter saw the vet at NGAP. They are pretty sure it was a seizure, and referred to VSEC. No Lyme, rest of bloodwork pending. NGAP says phenobarbital if it happens again.

thank you for posting this :heart

it's very disconcerting to see Walter stressed like that. I have no advice but I'm sending a lot of payers and good thoughts for Wally. I'll email you my cell number, call or text if you need anything. I'm here for you.

thank you :heart