Hello, Excited Future Adopter!

Guest feliscanis

Guest feliscanis

we are currently deciding between two southern ontario (GTA) placement groups! currently we are serving two cats; they have no idea about the coming attraction. very excited to get to know you all and your hounds, and learn whatever i can. particularly interested in keeping these lean machines warm in our frigid temperatures.

😊

:welcome

Welcome to GreyTalk and the wonderful world of retired racing Greyhounds! Greyhounds are fabulous companions!

There are a number of GT members from your region that can answer climate related questions. Greyhounds often wear coats while being walked outside, and jammies inside during winter. Some hounds like being covered with blankets, or squishing blankets into a ball to use as a pillow.

Good luck with your future adoption! :)

Hello from lovely Kitchener! My guys are always cold so they wear lightweight fleece coats in the house all winter as I keep my house pretty cool. They wear more heavy duty winter coats outside. I've included some links for you below. They won't wear booties so I use Mushers Secret on their paws to protect them from salt. Unless it's really, really cold, I don't usually bother to put coats on them for quick trips to the backyard. Mine don't have raincoats, either. Yes, I'm a bad mommy :lol I buy lots of very cheap fleece blankets or non fleece from Value Village and pile them on their beds, also, but they usually cuddle with me or each other to stay warm.

1. Chilly Dogs from the Ottawa area

http://www.chillydogs.ca/index.php/product/index/30

2. Voyagers k9 Apparel

http://www.k9apparel.com/Greyhound-s/138.htm

I'm sure people will add others.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

:welcome! Hi from cold Alberta! I asked the same questions about the cold 15 years ago and can say that it has not been a problem. Coats, pajamas boots (if tolerated) will keep your future grey warm!

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Welcome. I'm in Upstate New York so do experience cold winters -- usually -- not so much (yet) this year. Each dog is different when it comes to tolerating the cold. Annie's first winter with me in 2011-12, she was cold all the time and wore coats outside and was under blankets inside. Each year since then, she's needed bundling less and less to a point where this year, even with a temp of 20 degrees, she doesn't want a coat, unless it's windy, which is when I insist. Even then she's not happy with it over her bottom so I fold it up so she'll walk.

There are lots of places on line that sell coats for Greyhounds. Do a Google search and they'll come up. I started out with expensive coats, and they are very nice, but found that I liked those I got from http://www.kriskoats.com/ just as well and they are less costly.

Good luck in your search!

Edited by Feisty49

:wave from the other side of Ontario!

My hounds also wear little fleecy house coats 24/7 once the temps get cool.

I'd be happy to trace off my pattern and send it to you.

They also have 'midweight' Weatherbeta coats and rain coats ... They are a teeny tiny bit short along the back for the boys, as they are not 'Greyhound' specific.

And they hardly ever wear the rain coats...only if we're going out to school /retirement home ...the boys are Therapy dogs... and it's pouring rain.

We don't put them on for quick potty breaks.

ChillyDog makes 'long and lean' coats for all weather conditions.

We have ..and love ... their heavy ones for cold weather walking.

The Costco beds are all we use.

I think we have 10 :eek

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Hi from another Ontarian!! Your grey should be just fine in the winter, provided you have a warm coat for the outdoors on cold days. Mine actually finds the summer heat a lot worse than the cold. I second the Chillydog coats, they are great.

We only missed 2 days of walks last winter and that was because it was below -40. Otherwise we walk twice a day, every day, no matter the weather.

Good luck in your search! Are you in T.O.?

Hello from a former Ontarian! We found coats like the Chilly Dogs ones worked well in Ontario. Now that we live in Edmonton they are not enough and I'm searching for alternatives. What does work for those days that are colder than average, is to layer. Our dogs have fitted vests, and also 4-legged PJ's that can be worn in the house and under their winter coats. Still not enough for Alberta, but served us well in Ontario!

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest feliscanis

thank you all so much for the warm welcome, wishes, and recommendations! it really helps a lot. i'm originally from the southern US and i'm always freezing when it's not summer (but this winter is very warm for us too and it looks like it will be my first canadian christmas without snow...very strange), so we are super stocked on blankets. i am loving so many of these coats too. maybe gonna need another small dresser for dog gear.

i am actually looking for a pattern! that would be so great. i got my sewing machine just for this purpose, and not-entirely-jokingly mentioned matching sweaters to a few people lol.

we're about 30 minutes from Toronto! i've found we have a few groups in the area, and currently we are really interested in NeedleNose. i've read great things about GiNA (though not currently taking applications) and GRACanada as well.

this forum has already been a great source of info and gotten me even more excited. and look there's Rudy and Cole! the two greyhounds that helped me solidify this decision! :D

I highly recommend GiNA - the wait will be worth it especially for a first time greyhound owner. The support you will get from them will be very beneficial in the months and even years to come. We fostered for them to warm our landlord up to the idea of us getting our own, and they were amazing and helpful through the 3 week foster period. Then when it came time to adopt our own dog, I was a little too eager (desperate might have been a better word) and we went to GRA to get our boy. I wouldn't trade him for anything - he was perfect for us, but in all other respects I should have waited and gone with GiNA as they provide a lot more ongoing support. Thankfully we'd already had that foster experience and gotten so much advice and support, and Summit was a bounce from another family who knew the ropes of home living (and the family that had to give him up were so wonderful - they sent us his medical history and told us everything they knew about him... I stayed in contact with them and the wife follows our blog to see what Summit is up to). I don't know too much about NeedleNose - but if they provide a lot of post adoption help then you probably can't go wrong.

Edited by krissy

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!