Teddy Has Had Multiple Mini Strokes

RobinM

After an amazing short weekend (cut short by the events) in the poconos, where Teddy was running, spinning and jumping around like a maniac, despite his LS (he gets acupuncture) he threw up, basically collapsed and was unable to Get up.

Brought him to the er vet in the poconos where they did X-rays where nothing showed up. They told us before they did anything that they would probably see nothing in X-rays but they had to start somewhere.

We loaded the other 5 in the van and drove back to Long Island for the MRI.

That showed the multiple mini strokes.

I'm trying to find out if there are any other older greyhounds who have had serious strokes where things got turned around. They are staring PT for him tomorrow. Teddy is 11.5

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Not a greyhound but my mixed breed angel, Beansy, made a full recovery after a stroke at age 13. We treated her with acupuncture.

Hope Teddy feels better son.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I'm sorry to see that Teddy had a mini-stroke.

One of our hounds had a TIA mini-stroke several years ago. IIRC, she was about 10 years old. It affected everything on her right side including right front and hind legs. She collapsed on the carpet briefly. She regained use of her legs the same day, and was fully recovered within a few days.

She remained stroke free for several years until last month when she had a brief mini-stroke overnight. Again, fully recovered. She's approaching 14 years old, still enjoys walks and playing with toys, but is medically restricted from running due to laryngeal paralysis. No vomiting in either mini-stroke case with our girl, but worth mentioning that she was inside resting in cool temperatures.

Positive thoughts for Teddy.

Teddy has been getting aspirin for years because of what we thought were small Tias.

What happened yesterday was different. His face was distorted, mouth hanging open, no use of legs. To see him removed from the van by a gurney and wheeled away was heartbreaking.

Results were 2 strokes in the front of the brain and something else in the back. I am waiting to get the full report from the radiologist.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

a friend's older grey- around the same age had a stoke, but it didn't sound as bad as teddy's situation. the dog lived to 14, dragged her rear leg a tad except when she was as crazy as can be running and digging in the yard. this was without p.t., she was a real tom-boy and just did it.

Teddy is walking, not great but is is up. They are putting together a plan of PT and hopefully tomorrow, he can come home.

How is he doing, Robin? Best thoughts from us!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Teddy has been getting aspirin for years because of what we thought were small Tias.

What happened yesterday was different. His face was distorted, mouth hanging open, no use of legs. To see him removed from the van by a gurney and wheeled away was heartbreaking.

Results were 2 strokes in the front of the brain and something else in the back. I am waiting to get the full report from the radiologist.

Our hound had a similar event last year, but it was believed to be vestibular or possibly related to LP nerve damage which often progresses through the body. She had been moving and acting normally all day. That night she suddenly vomited large amounts, and became paralyzed in the rear half of her body including both hind legs. She had to be carried to the car, and was placed on a gurney into and out of the emergency hospital. Later, while recovering at home, she was fed and watered at her bedside, and carried outside for potty breaks with a canine neoprene sling aid. Slowly, her mobility began to normalize over several days. Her recovery happened to be complicated and extended by her poor reaction to medication used in the emergency hospital. The first few days at home she needed to be watched carefully since she had just enough mobility to pull herself into a different position by her front legs. I needed to intervene periodically to keep her in a safe position. She regained more mobility each day leading to her greater independence. She was fully recovered and eating normally within about 11 days.

Our sling happens to be a walk-a-belly: http://www.walkaboutharnesses.com/

How is he doing, Robin? Best thoughts from us!

Hey Jey,

I called about an hour ago. His vitals were ok, blood pressure good and they took him on a small walk. We are Hoping he can come home tomorrow.

This was extremely frightening.

Thank you for asking.

So glad he's doing better.its so scary to see that happen, but seems like he's getting better. Keep us posted, ok, Robin?

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

So glad he's doing better.its so scary to see that happen, but seems like he's getting better. Keep us posted, ok, Robin?

Will do!

How's Iker doing? Nancy Nelson adopted a galgo just as skittish as Iker. She's had her about a year and she is doing much better but still freaks out when she doesn't know who you are.

Sounds like good news so far. Hoping he continues to improve and can come home. So frightening for you all.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

The news sounds pretty encouraging so far. Sending good thoughts. Keep us posted. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

• 3 weeks later...