No Poop!:-(

vjui

4 days ago, Nico, our 12 year old grey vomited after his morning walk. I didn't think anything of it: he'll do that every once in a long while. But the next day, he had PROFUSE watery diarrhea in the morning.( all over the house multiple times, I might add!) we immediately put him on boiled chicken and rice. He ate that night and has eaten regularly since. But he has not had a bowel movement in 48 hours!!😳😳 is this normal? Do I need to take him to the vet? He doesn't seem to be in any distress and all else seems pretty normal.

If he is continuing to drink water and stay hydrated, there is no more vomiting, and no temperature, I would say be watchful but wait another 24 hours. If his stomach becomes distended, he refuses food or drink, vomits immediately after eating, or seems as if he can't get food down, OR if there is any more diarrhea - go immediately.

Rice and chicken can often be much less volume than "normal" food, and it can take a day or two to build up enough for a poop. In the future, if your dog vomits or has diarrhea, fast for at least 2 meals before resuming feeding with a bland diet. You want to give his digestive system a chance to completely clear whatever the problem was and have a bit of a rest before starting it up again. He also will benefit from a probiotic such as Forti Flora or full-fat yogurt (if he can handle dairy).

You will probably want to take in a stool sample to check for hook worms, which have been very bad for two years or so, and are very hard to get rid of.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

If he were my 12 year old, I would take him to the vet. The diarrhea could possibly indicate some kind of blockage. The liquid portion that was in his bowels was able to pass, but not the solid.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Update on Nico: Well, I have good news and bad news. The good news is that he pooped. The bad news is that it was diarrhea again. It was my bad judgement to try to wean him back on his normal diet (chicken, hamburger and kibble). Since he was doing okay on chicken and rice, I put a little bit of hamburger and a half scoop of kibble in his food. Bad idea. Profuse diarrhea for about 5-6 hours last night. Poor guy. I feel so bad. He is still drinking, so I don't think he's dehydrated. I called the vet and will take him in this afternoon. Thank you for all the tips: I didn't feed him this morning. I'll keep you posted.

After pooping and pooping repeatedly Tuesday night, he finally settled down around 1:30 AM. We took him to the vet yesterday. Dr. Andrew thinks it's just a non specific gastrointestinal bug that started up top (vomiting) and is now working its way through the colon. He prescribed Flagyl (1 and 1/2 tablets--I forgot the milligram dose) and Lomotil for the diarrhea. He was pretty lethargic through the day (although it is really HOT here in CA and he's just sitting inside in the airconditioning). He bounded up for his dinner (boiled chicken and rice) and then...up went the tail!! I hustled him outside to the driveway where he pooped about 3 patties that were the consistency of mashed potatoes. At least it's not watery or explosive!! We are going to keep him on the chicken and rice longer and then add hamburger and kibble S-L-O-W-L-Y until he's back to normal..

A few of the vets that I go to recommend ground chicken or turkey cooked with sweet potato or pumpkin. The rice doesn't do anything for digestion or absorption where the sweet potato or pumpkin has more health benefits. Remember to use just plain pumpkin not the pie filling seasoned type. Hope things are getting better.

Kathy, Bo (SK's Bozo), and Angels Storm (Greys Big Storm), Grace (Rise to Glory) and Sky(Greys Sky Dove),

My dog believes I go to work for their food and treats.

Well, I would have thought we would have made more progress by now. He's been on Flagyl 750 mg twice a day for the past 4 days. I have only fed him chicken and rice. ( the vet suggested feeding 3x/day because he's lost 4 lbs). He doesn't poop when we walk him. He's having accidents in the house: usually 1 small poop about the size of a hamburger patty. The poop is really wet: smears when I pick it up. I was also given Lomotil to give him, but I'm reluctant to give it to him be use he rarely poops! He used to poop twice a day, and now it's only maybe once in 24-36 hours. Can I advance his diet yet? I also considered potatoes instead of rice. Actually, I shouldn't be giving him chicken, because according to salivary sensitivity testing, he's sensitive to it. I've cooked some hamburger for him( he can eat beef and lamb) and will try that with potatoes to see if that helps. Will also touch base with the vet today. I'm thinking he needs Tylan (?) powder. He did well with that previously. Can you give him the Tylan simultaneously with the Flagyl?

The other thing you might consider is over cooked pasta. Brady always does better with pasta rather than rice. The rice seemed to go right through him.

I think the amount of poop is because of his bland diet and what he is eating also the smaller amounts of food eaten.

Personally I would give him the prescribed amount of Lomotil because it works on calming his intestinal spasms.

Brady had explosive diarrhea within in the first 6 weeks of my adopting him. You are on the right track. As I remember my experience with Brady it took a couple of weeks or longer for his poops to really firm up.

I would hesitate to add anything over the counter now because his digestive track is still in an uproar without talking to your vet first.

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

Keep in mind that expelling his insides out of both ends results in not very much product and not at regular times. Bland bland bland until this settles down. Rice and broth (broth helps to ensure hydration). I will also mush up some cookies/milkbones in the broth and feed just a bit as "solid food" to get them back on track. Potatoes can be rather starchy, and I've never gone the cooked chicken route either. I often turn to giving Collodial Silver orally for 48 hours to help, but you are giving meds and I'm very surprised it hasn't gotten better yet. The big D can be tiring. I've used Tylosin with great and immediate success. See if your vet is willing to prescribe that. Also try a month supply of Fortiflora. They are digestive enzymes that are similar to what is found in yogurt to aid the digestive tract back to good standing. It's a simple powder to add to meals. Remember that D is no fun, take pups out regularly, cuz when you gotta go.....

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015