Our vet agreed to let Ruby try Trazadone for her anxiety issues as it was suggested by someone here to try it.

Can anyone tell me what I can expect ? My vet really didn't know much about it but looked it up and was willing to give ita try. Will it make her lethargic ? Help with appetite ? Hopefully her anxiety will lessen as July is right around the corner. Summers are the worst for her with all the noisy fireworks.

Thank you

Karen

Mazy just chilled out on it. She wasn't a slug and still ate well. It only lasts 4 hours. We only used it a few times.

I'll check on the dosage after work later.

Read up on any side effects. My vet wanted to check Mazy over while she was on it.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Be aware the some dogs have had bad reactions to it (as with any drug), but it is a relatively safe alternative in anti-anxiety medication.

Cash gets 2 50mg tabs every 8 hours or so. Takes the edge right off. It's hard to tell if she is sedated ro not since she mostly just sleeps anyway! She always is up to go outside whenever, but is just really calm about it - which is what we want. Every once in a while, if she's *really* freaking out, she will still shake and need to hide in her "safe" zone. Though even then she is calmer than if she didn't have any drugs on board.

Make sure you try it out at a time when there's nothing going on so you can gage her reaction to it.

Good luck!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest AngelPup

I can't comment on Trazadone use in dogs, but have used it myself for sleep issues. I suffer from anxiety and depression and was going through a VERY difficult time last year. Couldn't sleep (even with Melatonin) and didn't want to take anything that would be habit forming. My doctor prescribed it and it worked wonders (thank GOD). I will say that it made me feel tired/drowsy so I could fall asleep and stay asleep longer. However, for me, the drowsy effect lasted a lot longer than four hours. I was constantly tired (even after sleeping a good 8 hours) and had major dry mouth. I recently stopped taking it and noticed I feel much more awake in the morning, plus the dry mouth is gone!

Guest BiancasMom

I have used it for years on my Greyhound for fourth of July, New Year's and any time there may be fireworks. We dose it every 8 hours. Side effects have just been sleeping or a zoned out look but I have given a mid range dose (100mg, she is 70 pounds) due to the high anxiety of the fireworks. I know lots of people who use it and have never heard of any bad reactions or dysphoria as with an opiod.

The vet started Ruby out on 50mg once a day. I haven't noticed a thing yet, and she was extra anxious today when the electrician was here making some noise. I am supposed to give it to her daily. Sounds like a lot of you only use it when high anxiety is expected ? Should I not be giving it to her regularly ? The vet did say I could up her dose if I don't notice anything. She also started Rimadyl and Pepcid at the same time.

Karen

Trazadone can be used either way - as a long-term treatment, or for situational anxiety. Like was said above, the drug is only viable in her system for 6-8 hours, so once a day may not be often enough. And you may need to up the dose. But give it a week or so at what was prescribed to see what happens.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

The vet said I can give it to her twice a day after a week if needed. So far I haven't noticed any affects at all, although she is sleeping quite a bit. Oh wait, she always does that !

I may want to up it around the 4th of July even if I don't think she needs it now. That month is HORRIBLE around here.

Karen

Ruby has been on Trazadone about 4-5 days now and today we had our first thunderstorm. I know it seems a bit early to see much in the way of results, but Ruby went to the door to look out, panted a couple times, then went and laid down calmly the rest of the night. I praised her like crazy. We didn't have too many thunderbooms, maybe 4, but normally she runs into her crate and then paces and pants for hours.

Hoping this is her answer. Life was so peaceful tonight.

Karen

Guest chickenpotpie

Awesome! Great for Ruby and you! Lucky doesn't dig thunderstorms either, and fireworks send her into a tizzy. (she could care less about loud booming action films though...go figure!!) We've used trazadone for the 4th but not usually for thunderstorms. (during thunderstorms she climbs me like a darn tree...makes it hard when I have meetings and I've got a 65+ lb dog in my lap)

Great news, go you and Ruby!

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Expect fireworks this coming holiday weekend. I saw fireworks displays in the store tonight (right next to the flags), so my neighbors may be stocking up.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)