Meet The Andy Dog

Guest Moongear

Guest Moongear

Hello all,

When I began this journey, it was shortly after I lost a dog (Chocolate Lab) of 15 years. Even prior to his death I knew that I was going to find a dog within the world of rescues to become my next four-legged friend. My search Ultimately led me to the Team Greyhound Of Ohio website. I attended a meet and greet the very same day (July 12, 2014) and was pretty much hooked on greyhounds.

After little more consideration, I submitted an application to the Team Greyhound website for consideration to adopt a Retired Racing Greyhound. A week or so later I was contacted, discussed what I was looking for and why I was interested in adopting a Greyhound and subsequently scheduled a home visit.

During the home visit the coordinator from Team Greyhound received an e-mail notification that one of the dogs which was currently in a foster (with intent to adopt) was being returned due to an incident within the household. Interestingly, I had met this dog at the first meet and greet I attended. However, even though the Greyhound seemed to be very tuned into me on that first day, he was not available for adoption.

I was asked, “how ready are you for this?” To which I replied, “I am ready.”

The coordinator explained that when a family has the intention of returning a dog they do not hesitate and will get the dog back as quickly as possible. She said she could go get the dog immediately and would return to my home in about 40 minutes.

When she returned we did some simple paperwork with the understanding that Andy would be temporary and considered a foster with intent. However, I fell in love immediately and knew he was here to stay.

The adoption of The Andy Dog was finalized on September 13, 2014.

He wasn’t immediately right at home and would howl wheneverI left him alone. Because I live in an apartment I was initially worried about my neighbors complaining about his noise. However, those I spoke to were very understanding. I assured them that this would only be temporary and that I was working to make him feel comfortable when I am away. That part of the process took about two months.

It did not take long before Andy felt right at home and was consuming as much space as possible on my couch.

I try to attend as many meet and greet functions as possible especially those that are close to home. It’s a nice way to get out and socialize as well as be around other Greyhounds. I would like to contribute more to the organization and Greyhounds in general and have high hopes that the future will present plenty of opportunities to do so.

Andy is young at just two years when he first came to my home. He had a short 7 race career at the Mobile Greyhound Park..

Edited by Moongear

Congratulations, welcome and thanks for working with him to make him comfortable. I look forward to more stories and pics about Andy the Dog.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Congratulations on adopting Andy: he looks very handsome and muscular from what I can see of him - reminds me of my boy in his younger days. I look forward to seeing more pictures.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

I had a girl with Kiowa Sweet Trey in her background. She was a very nice girl. Congratulations on your adoption of Andy.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Congratulations, Andy is gorgeous!

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

:confetti Congratulations! :confetti

Andy looks like a really handsome boy. We need more :digicam !

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

Myka is a relative, Kiowa Sweet Trey was her sire, too. Welcome!

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020