Blue Buffalo Admits To By-Product Meal....

Headline reads: Purina - A Year to the Day After Being Sued, Blue Buffalo Finally Admits By-Product meal in a "Substantial" and "Material" Portion of Their Pet Food.

Interesting read. Big Companies, as well as Big Brother, wonder why we question and doubt so much of what we're told.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/purina-a-year-to-the-day-after-being-sued-blue-buffalo-finally-admits-by-product-meal-in-a-substantial-and-material-portion-of-their-pet-food-300079805.html

Edited by Feisty49

Oh no - not Blue Buffalo that made me memorize their spiel of "all human grade ingredients" (though in all fairness my neighbors pay good money for assorted by products every day).

Not Blue Buffalo where my supervisor told me "human grade", "senior", "indoor cat" and other terminology were marketing words that were a load of crap.he

Not Blue Buffalo that refused to provide either samples or coupons to their demo people. It was a hard sell being between the Nutro ladies handing out samples and the Science Diet guy handing out coupons. They told me the "human grade" catch was all they needed.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest Johberry

Makes me glad we ditched kibble altogether and made the switch to fresh raw. Who knows how many other companies do the same, Blue Buffalo just happened to get caught this time around.

Makes me glad we ditched kibble altogether and made the switch to fresh raw. Who knows how many other companies do the same, Blue Buffalo just happened to get caught this time around.

I agree. Never regretted my switch.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Oh no - not Blue Buffalo that made me memorize their spiel of "all human grade ingredients" (though in all fairness my neighbors pay good money for assorted by products every day).

Not Blue Buffalo where my supervisor told me "human grade", "senior", "indoor cat" and other terminology were marketing words that were a load of crap.he

Not Blue Buffalo that refused to provide either samples or coupons to their demo people. It was a hard sell being between the Nutro ladies handing out samples and the Science Diet guy handing out coupons. They told me the "human grade" catch was all they needed.

Hey Pam! I was a Nutro lady for awhile... didn't have samples after Mars bought them out... AND that's when they changed a lot of things - like our demo hours (it was to get us all to quit so they didn't have to pay as much as we were making...)

(And, yes, I hated memorizing their various spiels, which changed frequently!)

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Having a dog with MASSIVE food allergies, chicken being high on the list, did they also not list chicken on the ingredient list?

And just what is chicken by product meal?

AAFCO Definition: Chicken by-product meal consists of the ground, rendered, clean parts of the carcass of slaughtered chicken, such as necks, feet, undeveloped eggs and intestines, exclusive of feathers, except in such amounts as might occur unavoidable in good processing practice.

I don't know if they failed to list chicken on the ingredient list.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I can throw a rock and hit 5 places to get chicken feet for around here for $1.79 a pound or less, but they gross me out flapping like a limp Groucho Marx cigar. :blush

I'll feed turkey necks to big dogs but chicken ones might choke a grey (I have no verified statistical samples to back this up so feel free to disregard my view). I used to buy Pilgrim's Pride chicken backs and necks at Wal-Mart and Buck would get the backs and Poodle the necks.

A couple of months ago I shopped by-products at the chain grocery store on the corner.
Turkey necks $1.79#
Calves feet $1.99#

Sweetbreads $3.39#
Beef kidneys $1.99#
Chicken livers $1.29#
Beef heart $2.99#
Chicken feet $1.79#

That was what they had that day. Other things that come through are pork ears and tails, split pork feet, and green tripe (which is unbleached, actually grey green and pretty darn expensive).

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Those prices seem about the same as I've seen. When you start thinking about actual poundage for meals $1.79 is pricey! We go through approx 6-8lbs a day depending on activity levels. Dog kibble companies are not going to want to pay that for the cheap crappy part of kibble.

Back when I was feeding prepackaged Blue Ridge raw food, our supplier told us that he had a hard time getting chicken necks sometimes and getting a whole case of chicken feet from the processor was close to impossible. It used to be easy, until they realized the possible profit by shipping to China.

I try to keep everything well under $1 per pound. A case of chicken feet is going to run you over four times as much as chicken backs. And the same for chicken quarters. Last June I was able to get chicken quarters for 34 cents a lb in bulk. I think they were 40lb cases. I brought home over 10 cases...

------

Jessica

• 2 weeks later...

So is anyone else seeing the sudden upsurge in Blue Buffalo commercials touting their no-byproduct ingredients? No acknowledgement of the lawsuit.

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20