Is My Greyhound Actually Perspiring?

Guest hreinert

What are her platelet numbers?

Greyhound-normal numbers are 80,000-200,000 per Dr Stack and 110,000-205,000 per Dr Couto. Those numbers are lower than Other Breeds' platelet counts.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest hreinert

Her platelets were 76.0 on 6/3/15. I wasn't given the reading from the hospital when we brought her home yesterday but they did say they dropped. We'll be seeing our local vet later this afternoon to get an updated reading so I'll let you know if it is improved as the local vet was given all info from the visit at the hospital.

The vet hospital tells us she has ITP, Immune-mediated thrombocytopenia. She had her vaccinations in March and we're thinking she may have contracted this problem from the shots she received then. I also read a holistic book that stated she could have hypothyroidism, so we'll be asking our vet about that as well, (whether to have her thyroid tested). The hospital really had us scared Thursday night, but so far our girl is holding her own.

Thank you for the info on leptospirosis. I printed out the info and will ask our vet about it. I know the hospital is running a tick PCR panel, is a DNA-PCR test a separate test for leptospirosis? If so, we probably won't be able to run it now since she is on antibiotics. We need to have her platelets checked every 2 days to see if the Prednisone (20mg); Doxycycline (110mg); and Melatonin (3mg) is helping to bring her numbers up.

You can test for lepto through a urine test or a PCR test on a blood sample. They were the same price so no preference in that regard. What antibiotics is she on? Lepto is fairly specific in the ABs it responds to so you may still be able to test if it's warranted (probably the urine test, which I believe is a titer test to see if there are elevated antibodies in her system, which there would be if she were fighting the infection). Doxycycline is what is typically used to treat it, but it does respond even partially to others, but some, like Cephalexin don't have an effect so you'd need to have your vet check. By the way, not a vet so take this all with a grain of salt - it's what I've cobbled together when I was considering testing my boy for it.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• 3 weeks later...
Guest hreinert

I'm sad to say we had to put our girl down last week. The multitude of medicines she was on for a week or so just didn't do anything to encourage her body to start producing platelets. She lost 15 pounds and was clearly not feeling good. We only had her for 5 years but she brought us so much joy. Her life was cut very short as she was only 8 years old. Once she refused to eat we knew it was just a matter of time before we would have to make a sad decision. The vets had no idea why her spleen and liver were enlarged but she was just too sick to take the risk of them testing her for an answer. This blog is absolutely wonderful and was VERY helpful to us. May god bless each and everyone of you.

I'm so sorry you lost your girl. When you're ready, if you feel like it would help, we have a remembrance section where you can tell us about her.

Edited by PatricksMom

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I'm sorry to hear this. I lost 8-year-old Jacey to immune mediated thrombocytopenia, and we never discovered what triggered it. Fine during a well-dog exam on a Tuesday, sick by Thursday night, and put to sleep on the next Monday. (I didn't respond to your earlier posts here because I had nothing helpful or hopeful to say.)

I'm so sorry you've lost your girl.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I am sorry to read this. I am so very sorry for your loss.

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

I'm so sorry for the loss of your baby, and so young :( .

Godspeed, precious.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am so sorry that your girl had to leave you. :grouphug

Hreinert, if you would like me to add your girl's name to the list of Bridge Angels in the Remembrance section here on Greytalk, just post her name here.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png