Is My Greyhound Actually Perspiring?

Guest hreinert

Guest hreinert

I swear my dog is perspiring! her pet bed gets soaked and her back end is dripping wet. Has anyone seen this from their greyhound?

Could it be drool? I often find wet areas on their beds and it's from their mouth, but doesn't smell.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest FloridaGirl

I'd double check that it isn't urine - may have a little UTI going on. Is she elderly? She may have a touch of the incontinence.

Or, as greytpups said, it could very well be drool. Does she have allergies? She may be licking her back end.

Leaking or licking. One or the other. Vet check for both.

Though many dogs will lick in a sort of OCD calming behavior that isn't a medical issue, as well. They will lick themselves, their beds, the furniture, blankets - just about anything - until it's soaking wet and beyond.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I'm guessing urine. If it doesn't smell, don't assume it's not. Could mean the urine is dilute and you may have something like kidney disease going on. Have you noticed an increase in her water consumption lately?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

If she's licking her rear, she may be licking the bed at the same time. You would be amazed at how wet they can get things by just licking them. Checking to make sure it's not urine is a good idea.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

If she's getting wet on the hind end lying down it's probably urine leakage. May not be a UTI but hormonal incontinence (or they can get a UTI second to hormonal incontinence as the urethral sphincter isn't tight enough). My girl developed this problem last spring and going on Incurin (estriol, the safest form of estrogen) fixed her problem 100%. (If it is diagnosed as incontinence, your vet will probably suggest Proin, which works fine for plenty of greys but has caused grave and even fatal side effects in others, so research it plenty.)

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Dogs don't have sweat glands. That's why they pant. And why a fan won't really cool a dog off because fans cool by drying the perspiration on our skin.

Sweaty feet? OK, if the dog experts say its so I'll accept it, but I have never seen a dog sweat through his feet!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Yes, dogs sweat through their feet. Its often a sign of stress if the dog is not somewhere hot. You'll see very clear paw prints if you look for them.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest hreinert

Thank you all for your comments. We plan on having a vet check her out for a UTI for sure. Our grey is now 8 yrs old. She would be laying on a leather loveseat and where her body touched the sofa she would be dripping wet. I never considered a UTI but now we're seeing her butt end quite stained with a rather cream color when it was white before so maybe the UTI is the problem. I'll keep you posted!

I wouldn't necessarily expect incontinence like that with a UTI. It could just be incontinence, or as I mentioned above it could be something like kidney disease (or diabetes would be another possibility), which is why I asked about water consumption. Only mentioning this so you don't stop at a urinalysis or culture. If no infection is present, I would do blood work to rule out other issues.

Sounds like spay incontinence. The first thing your vet will what to do is rule out a uti-don't let your girl urinate before entering the clinic-they will want a full bladder. Also, your vet may recommend proin for incontintence --an awful lot of hounds do not do well with that medication (including one of mine-almost lost her after one dose). DES or incurin are better options. ;-)

Edited by tbhounds

Yep, mine got her hormonal [spay] incontinence right around when she turned 8. (Note that this tends to be a diagnosis of exclusion -- there is no way to test for it directly. Mine had a UTI too but after we treated that and her bloodwork was perfect and she still leaked, we made the assumption.) As I said above, she is now perfect on Incurin. Zero leaks once we got the dose she needed figured out.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest hreinert

You were right, she has Lower Urinary Tract Disease (L.U.T.D.) She is currently on 200 mg of Simplicef for it for 2 weeks. I haven't seen her "perspire" all day, but we do see spots (drips) on our living room carpet, so she may have incontinence going on as well. So I should not put her on poirn? You say you had bad experiences with it? That is what the vet said she would give her if she has incontinence down the road.

I would wait to see how things are once the UTI has resolved. UTI's tend to cause the dogs to feel like they need to go constantly and they will strain and pee very small amounts.

Agreed-see how she is after the resolution of the uti. If she still leaks urine while sleeping she may have spay incontintence. If that's the case I would discuss with your veterinarian other medication options besides proin. Incurin is a newer medication that can be quite effective and DES is very effective too. The DES may be purchased now through a veterinary compounding pharmacy-like Wedgewood. DES is a rather safe medication because it's given at very low doses. Proin can and has been linked to strokes in hounds and it often prescribed by veterinarians without checking blood pressures-idk-don't like it --never will find it in my cabinet esp since there are alternatives that can be used.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest hreinert

Wow, where do I begin? Our girl completed her antibiotics and still showed some signs of incontinence but since last week she has really declined in her health. She is currently at a hospital in Palm Beach Gardens, FL for multiple issues most of which are quite serious so we're not sure yet exactly what we're dealing with. Her liver enzymes are high, her spleen is enlarged, she has high protein in her blood and her platelets are extremely low. The hospital has sent off samples for bacterial causes and tick borne Illnesses but we won't get those results until Monday, in the meantime they have put her on antibiotics and steroids. They suspect blood cancer and wanted to stick her liver and spleen to see what's happening with her platelets but the risk was too high that she would bleed out, so we're opting to holding off on that until all else has been considered. If she has cancer in her blood the outcome isn't good at all. Any suggestions?

I'm so sorry about your girl's declining health.

This may not help your girl; however, one of our Greyhounds has hemangiosarcoma, and is an excessive bleeder. (Excessive bleeding is not uncommon in Greyhounds.) If needed, please ensure your vet is aware of Amicar (Aminocaproic Acid). Our three excessive bleeders receive Aminocaproic Acid for all surgeries (including minor dental extractions) and for 4 to 5 days post-surgery. Many Greyhounds can appear to be okay upon leaving the hospital, but can begin bleeding internally anytime within 4 days of recovery. Our hemangiosarcoma hound has bled internally when not associated with a surgery also.

If needed, Aminocaproic Acid is available in liquid form (beef flavor) from a compounding pharmacy,

or in tablet form from a human pharmacy. Costco's pharmacy offers least expensive tablets that we've found. If your local pharmacies don't keep it in stock, it can take 3-4 days to order.

Positive thoughts for your girl.