New Adopters - First Full Day At Home

Guest minwalker

Guest minwalker

Hi we got our first ever Greyhound last night and after a meal and 3 short walks, hhe settled in at 10pm. Didn't poop after he came over from the foster. Started whining around 2 am and kept pacing and whining at regular intervals through the night. I went to check on him at the first one to make sure it wasn't poop related but then ignored him for the rest of the night.

He went out this morning, did his p&p and then had his meal and a teaspoon of water or so it seems. He found his bed and hasn't budged ALL day after 830am.he walked a bit to get to treats I left on the floor but that's it.

We have hardwoods and have put rugs down but he hasn't greeted us or my wife when she got home.

Its only been 24 hour but we are also first time pet owners. Any thoughts?

Relax, relax, relax, and relax :). Take it slow and let him take his time, as he's also getting used to you and his new home.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

This will help. http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/advice/the_first_few_days_in_a_new_home.shtml

Keep an eye on water intake. You don't dehydration to become an issue, but if you are putting water into the kibble as well, he is probably getting enough for a short period of not drinking.

Good luck!

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Welcome. Congratulations. We demand like pictures. :)

There's so much to say and you will get a lot of responses. First, have you read any books about Greyhounds? Read any info from your group? On-line?

Not jumping up and greeting anybody who comes home is normal for newly-adopted Greyhounds. It can take them weeks or months to understand that this is *my* person who feeds me, walks me, gives me treats and loves me up. He might also never get up to greet his people. I've had Annie for 3-1/2 years and it's only the past year that she'll greet me but only if she's on her bed in the living room. If she's upstairs in the bedroom or down in the family room, she doesn't budge. And when she does greet me, she greets me at the top of the 4 stairs leading from the entry to the living room. I have to go to her; she doesn't come down the stairs, which is suitable for a Diva. :bgeorge

Drinking is important. I feed my girl with water in her kibble so I see her head to the water bowl usually twice a day.

Walking around: You said you checked when he started walking at night and it wasn't poo related. Did you actually take him outside or ask him if he had to go? Apparently he's not crated. Is he sleeping on a bed in your bedroom? Greyhounds do not like to be alone. If he's being blocked from your bedroom, he is going to cry and whine at night.

There are so many things to learn about a Greyhound. Keep reading this forum and keep asking questions. You'll get many answers.

Guest minwalker

Welcome. Congratulations. We demand like pictures. :)

There's so much to say and you will get a lot of responses. First, have you read any books about Greyhounds? Read any info from your group? On-line?

Not jumping up and greeting anybody who comes home is normal for newly-adopted Greyhounds. It can take them weeks or months to understand that this is *my* person who feeds me, walks me, gives me treats and loves me up. He might also never get up to greet his people. I've had Annie for 3-1/2 years and it's only the past year that she'll greet me but only if she's on her bed in the living room. If she's upstairs in the bedroom or down in the family room, she doesn't budge. And when she does greet me, she greets me at the top of the 4 stairs leading from the entry to the living room. I have to go to her; she doesn't come down the stairs, which is suitable for a Diva. :bgeorge

Drinking is important. I feed my girl with water in her kibble so I see her head to the water bowl usually twice a day.

Walking around: You said you checked when he started walking at night and it wasn't poo related. Did you actually take him outside or ask him if he had to go? Apparently he's not crated. Is he sleeping on a bed in your bedroom? Greyhounds do not like to be alone. If he's being blocked from your bedroom, he is going to cry and whine at night.

There are so many things to learn about a Greyhound. Keep reading this forum and keep asking questions. You'll get many answers.

I have pulled all the books out again (sheepish grin for forgetting). He was in his crate last night - away from us and that will change tonight if we can fit his crate in our small bedroom. might try some music and a dim night lamp as well.

We gave him 2 cups of water (kibble, canned food and Olewa carrots) last night and 1 cup of water this morning (same food).

I guess i was a bit surprised that i couldnt get him to leave his bed even with treats held few inches away and on top of the rug so he wont worry about the hardwoods. He did walk over after about 2 hours to get the small treat pieces and promptly plopped back on his bed. He was going out 3-4 times a day with his foster mom and we havent been able to get him to go out after 830 am. hopefully he will get to his dinner tonight - you gotta eat right?

Thank you for everyone's patience - not knowing ANYTHING about pets sometimes manifests itself in too many self doubts and questions. I will chalk it up to a tiring night spent alone.

Congrats on your new family member! All sounds pretty normal to me based on my experience with our girl. You've gotten good advice already, so I'll just add that you should try to keep as consistent a routine as possible; knowing what to expect when will help him settle in. He'll blossom a lot in the coming weeks and months, but right now everything's new and intimidating.

And, to echo Annie's mom: please post pictures when you can!

53827132849_248d9686fd_o.jpg

Rachel with Doolin Doodle Dooooo, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our gorgeous, gutsy girlhounds
 Sweep and Willa:heart

Sometimes it takes quite a while for a dog to take treats or show much emotion besides confusion. Patience :)

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest FlaOkie

Remember he is adapting to a completely different and strange world.

We just got our Greyhound 5 days ago.

She didn’t move around a lot, and it took her two days to poop.

Now she is already coming to greet us, playing with her toys, and going to the door to go out to squirt and poop.

We have had 5 dogs in the past, each one was different. Some quicker on the uptake than others. Our greyhound is by far the smartest one yet.

Let some time pass.

Start implementing a routine for him.

After just a few more days he will become more relaxed.

I have pulled all the books out again (sheepish grin for forgetting). He was in his crate last night - away from us and that will change tonight if we can fit his crate in our small bedroom. might try some music and a dim night lamp as well.

We gave him 2 cups of water (kibble, canned food and Olewa carrots) last night and 1 cup of water this morning (same food).

I guess i was a bit surprised that i couldnt get him to leave his bed even with treats held few inches away and on top of the rug so he wont worry about the hardwoods. He did walk over after about 2 hours to get the small treat pieces and promptly plopped back on his bed. He was going out 3-4 times a day with his foster mom and we havent been able to get him to go out after 830 am. hopefully he will get to his dinner tonight - you gotta eat right?

Thank you for everyone's patience - not knowing ANYTHING about pets sometimes manifests itself in too many self doubts and questions. I will chalk it up to a tiring night spent alone.

You also have a water dish out for him so he can drink any time, right? I know that many people and groups almost insist on a crate being used, but if the crate won't fit in your bedroom, I'd put just his bed in your bedroom, lead him to it and let him sleep with you. It's almost guaranteed he won't whine or pace as long as he's with his people.

This is his first (and last) forever home. He has no idea that he is special; that he can get up and get treats. He's never been offered a treat as an enticement to leave his safe place (crate). I'd start out by giving him his treats directly. Offer one from your hand while he's in his crate. Make a big deal out of it. Ask him, "Do you want a treat?" Praise him, love him up, use his name a lot and be happy. He'll quickly learn that when you say, "Want a treat?" it's a good thing and he'll come running.

Edited by Feisty49

Congrats.... patience is the only word you really need :-)

Oh..and, no matter how lovely the home, they've sort of been dumped in the middle of Mongolia where no-one speaks Greyhoundisch as far as they're concerned. So revisit Calming Signals... their body language ... here:

These were Peggy's first two days at home:

Friday March 13th – Day One

10am. Shaun arrives with Peggy in his van. She’s quite nervous, probably never seen a house before, straight out to garden for ‘toilet’, then indoors to be introduced. She doesn’t like the kitchen with lino tiles even though they’re special non-slip ones. Maybe it looks too much like a vets surgery?. She doesn’t like doors, but then Shaun said one caught her in the eye in the wind earlier in the week. But she’s OK on carpets. Found the bed in the lounge on which I’d put a biscuit but didn’t sit in it. Soon after Shaun left she found the smaller bed in my office in the converted garage, also with a biscuit on it, but she went in this one OK. Half an hour later walked her around the block with tight greyhound collar and new leather lead. Peggy drinks water after I offer her the bowl – does she understand a water bowl?

A couple of toilets runs in the garden over the next 3 hours.

She pulls hard and twists the nice new leather lead; must get a twizzle or it will ruin it. Found a strong one on an old harness. Much better on afternoon walk around block and down to farm gates.

Peggy gets food in kitchen half an hour later in big stainless steel bowl. Won’t come over to the sink, so given it in the corner. James Wellbeloved Lamb & Rice Kibble, same as I’ve always fed. She likes it but eats it slowly by licking it first, maybe she’s not used to kibble?

Later, get her to come in the lounge and go in the bed there while we watch TV. She’s not seen TV before but isn’t too worried by it. I gave her a small soft ferret-like dog toy about 12” in length; will she rip it to pieces or love it as a little comforter? She’s going to adopt it I guess…

Takes a short nap until we have tea and biscuits.

Then out to garden for toilet.

Then to bed.

She can start in my bedroom, it’s usually better that way if they’re nervous and with a nightlight on. She knows there is another bed in the lounge. We shall see… Shaun reckoned it would take about 4 days to get her steady and not too nervous so that she can interact with us.

Peggy Day 2 March 14th

I decided to try to make this nice calm day for her as she was so nervous and anxious.

10.00am: walked around the block and down the lane and met a few people. She’s walking better on the lead. Met a couple of dogs.

Had her out in the garden free for a while but she wants to dash indoors; I let her know she can do this.

Gave her coat a thorough brushing.

She is getting bolder in the house coming up the hallway.

Stole one of my leather boots but just licked it.

2.30-4.30pm went to park. She jumped in the van nicely and got out OK. Went right round the park and in the fields. Sat and had a flask of tea on the bench. Lots of sports being played, lots of noise. Met several people walking dogs of various sizes, she didn’t react badly to dogs.

Took her into the vets to weigh her: 29.2kg. Vet briefly checked her and said weight was OK and spaying wound was healing OK. He said make sure she has soft bed as she has tender spots of skin on leg joints. I got her a cover for a single duvet from a local second-hand shop and replaced her bed with an old duvet folded in half. The one Angel peed on and despite paying £7.50 to wash and dry it in the big machine at the launderette, it never came back to as good as new. A new life for the old duvet then…

Evening: she’s bold enough now to come from bedroom to kitchen for food. Then later after a short walk on her gold Chinese Silver Peacock martingale collar only. She came when called for food in the lounge and found it on her bed.

Later in the night she came up to nuzzle me for reassurance – that’s good.

That will do for day 2.

Good first day! Give the pupper time!

My dog didn't seem to really want greet me for probably a few months. Even now it's only enthusiastic if I'm late coming home. Even then,

it's "You're home! You're home! Oh hey, I have a rawhide over there!" and that's it, unless dinner is late as well (in which case I have a shadow until dinner is served).

To each pup his own, but my grey is not as fawning as say, my friend's golden. I've come to like it that way. :-)

Hi there! Congratulations on finally getting Dobby home! :)

Sounds like things are going well so far. Give him some time to acclimate to a new life. Even though was fostered and lived in a home before, this is a whole new family, house, schedule to get used to. Give him some time, lots of patience and understanding, and he will settle in time.

Also, I would second putting the bed in your bedroom if the crate doesn't fit. We use a crate for the daytime but have never done so for the nighttime. Padfoot wouldn't be able to settle without being in the same room sleeping as us at night. We closed off the door so that he couldn't explore/pee on things but he settled on his bed and (mostly) slept through the night. I would say for that first week we had a moderate amount of whining and then that was it.

Edited by Padfootx13

GT_signature4_zpsfaaf7821.jpg

Padfoot the greyhound fr. Coach Venom, Joined his forever family: 10-1-13

Lupin the galgo, Joined his forever family: 7-18-14
And the reptiles: Bernie the Bearded Dragon and Tonks the Russian Tortoise

I remember about a week after bringing home my first greyhound, Quiet Man, we had my brother and about 4 other friends over, and they asked if "that dog did anything but lay in his bed?"

It was overwhelming for him to have so many people in his new home. He eventually became a very outgoing and social dog :)

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

Guest minwalker

Thank you all.

We got super lucky and unlucky at the same time tonight. We had a dog walker come by and he was more assertive to get River moving a bit. Took him out for a quick walk around the yard - where River promptly released all the pee he was holding! After coming home, the cloud seemed to have lifted a bit. He went over to the empty food bowl licked it and looked at us like - where's my food guys?

Fed him and gave him quiet time in his crate but we were way too relaxed and decided to fill up our gas tanks - missed the 20-min window that our foster mom gave us for a walkabout after dinner. unfortunately, River had to go in his crate - we dont think he has ever done that before! Poor thing!!!! I took him out for a quick walk and pee (no negativity in the house) while the clean up was completed using Nature's Miracle.

May sound like par for the course, but today was an exciting day for us! I hope for some dry weather to get our bearings tomorrow for some around the block walks.

Thanks to all of you, again!

M&W

If I read your post above it sounds like River didn't get a chance to walk and had an accident in the crate?? Too relaxed? Fill up the gas tanks? 20 minute window? No need to explain but please avoid such a scenario. Take some advice from a fellow first time Greyhound owner. Get the dog out and walking as much as he will tolerate. It's the fastest way to build a bond and relieve the depression your new pal is suffering. You will end up with a happy, healthy, relaxed, confident dog. For the majority of Greyhounds the whole couch potato thing is nonsense.

Didn't really understand your sleeping arrangements but best scenario is the dog on its own bed where it can see you.

And re the crate - if the dog gets really upset don't do it!!. Find another solution if you need to contain.

Edited by KickReturn

Guest chickenpotpie

Lucky was my first dog and trust me it was very confusing. I was absolutely scared I could not give her the things she needed. Well, the first few weeks she just needed time to get her bearings. She made it known that she did KNOT like sleeping without her humans near. So at night she had a bed in our room and thats where she sleeps. She loves her crate but, on her terms (door open) She knows how to get out of it if the door is closed anyway. So we baby gated a room so she had her crate with the door open. Can she jump the gate? Sure if she was so inclined, but she's amazingly lazy in that regard.

After dinner, yes, absolutey stay on the potty schedule. Lucky usually goes out in about 30 minutes and she will let us know when she's ready. You will learn your pups ques as time goes on. As mentioned, walks are good to get your pup acclimated to you and their surroundings.

Good luck

Guest CleverJason

Glad to hear things are starting to look up. Patience and routine are the keys here. I was convinced my dog would never settle in when he was still skiddish and resistant to treats after two weeks. I was sooo wrong. Trust me, you haven't really met your dog yet.

Guest minwalker

If I read your post above it sounds like River didn't get a chance to walk and had an accident in the crate?? Too relaxed? Fill up the gas tanks? 20 minute window? No need to explain but please avoid such a scenario. Take some advice from a fellow first time Greyhound owner. Get the dog out and walking as much as he will tolerate. It's the fastest way to build a bond and relieve the depression your new pal is suffering. You will end up with a happy, healthy, relaxed, confident dog. For the majority of Greyhounds the whole couch potato thing is nonsense.

Didn't really understand your sleeping arrangements but best scenario is the dog on its own bed where it can see you.

And re the crate - if the dog gets really upset don't do it!!. Find another solution if you need to contain.

Thanks, KickReturn - needed a bit of calibration. We are learning fast and his foster mom is texting every couple of hours to keep us honest!!

Two walks (one long and one short) in today and a 10-minute romp in the yard that got my heart rate up and then stayed there as he shredded the ground - totally AWESOME to just stand & watch!

Guest minwalker

Thank you, all. Between all of you and the foster mom, River's parents are getting with the program now!

Rough wake-up call at 3 AM this morning - our inexperience showing as i totally missed his signals to go out to relieve himself. Maybe i wasnt awake either. But he slept on his bed outside our room (no more crate at night). Crate when we go out and he did fine both yesterday for an hour and 2 hours today.

Took 30-minutes of pushing and pulling to get him on the stairs this morning but things are moving well as we put a system in place that is consistent for both us and him.

Sounds like normal new houndie stuff and you’re handling it well.

Their signs that they need to go out can be very subtle. In the early days with my Lila, if she was standing up she needed to go out.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Having the dog sleep in your room makes sure that if he needs to go during the night you will hear him and let him out.

My approach when our Grey arrived was to wake up with him, feed him breakfast and then immediately go out for the big walk of the day. We sometimes go as long as two hours. this sort of distance is not for everybody, or if your rushing off to work obviously it's a little tougher, but the more you can do first thing in the morning the better the day will be for River. Then late afternoon, or as soon as people get home from work and before River has been fed, take him out for another 30 minutes to an hour. This is a great time to train your dog because he will be hungry. Let him sniff and explore at the end of his leash and practice recall by calling his name. When he turns to you, reward him with a peice of kibble from your pocket. This will really help him to bond with you.

The final walk of the day should be before bed time. Even though it is winter and dark and cold, for many dogs, particularely those that are new to a home, a quick turnout is not adequate to get them through the night. Getting dressed up and walking for 30 minutes to an hour before bed is tons better then having to get up at 3:00 AM to let the dog out or to clean up a mess. Remember that depending on the fitness of River it may take time to build up to longer walks. At all other times during the day if River stares out side (or just at random), offer him a turn out to the yard.

When you add it all up it could be 3 to 4 hours of walking every day. Granted when the weather is bad you can't do all the walking, and many Greys are happy on less than half that amount (seniors of course are a different story althogether). But if you really want to see what is possible give my "recipe" at try. At the very least you will minimize the chance of an accident.

I caution again about the crate. Be sure you know what River does when left alone in a crate. Set up a web cam or similar to record him. If he is in distress when you are gone than you will know that you cannot crate him. The biggest danger is if he chews the bars trying to get out. Many Greys have destroyed their teeth this way and other injuries from trying to escape can be serious.

Edited by KickReturn

Guest sireltonsmom

Ah, thanks for the walk down memory lane! After a while one forgets the first days/weeks anxieties and adventures while they settle in. You are doing fine - you're in tune with River and you all are learning about each other. There may come a time where River starts to feel comfy and pushes the envelope a bit - leash behavior, maybe he'll be a klepto dog for a bit - hang in there thru it. Everyone here will attest to the fact that Greyhounds are absolutely wonderful dogs and we celebrate each other's dogs' adventures and cute antics as well as commiserate when they get sick or hurt. Welcome to Greytalk and keep sharing, please.

:ghplaybow:gh_runner

He really needs to sleep IN your room.

Sounds like he's one of those dogs that has to be taken out after eating. ALWAYS.

Here is what my day is like (going into year #20):

5:30 AM, alarm. Throw on pants and shoes, take dog out for tinkle break

Inside, feed dog (and cats). Have coffee, check the news.

6:15 AM, 30 minute walk with dog.

7 AM, leave for work

4:20 PM, return from work. IMMEDIATELY take dog outside.

Feed animals again.

5:30 PM, short walk around the property

8:30 PM, last tinkle break (and only this early because of see step #1).

My current dog doesn't really require the 5:30 PM, but if it's decent out, I'll take him. My first greyhound would literally tinkle on the carpet if he wasn't walked after every meal and also any time I left him and returned--even if it was only 30 minutes.

Neither of my Greyhounds has drunk a lot, so don't worry too much if yours doesn't either.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck