Olewo Carrots - How Much To Order?

4My2Greys

I I've been wanting to order the Olewo carrots, but have held off because I can't decide how much I should order. Let me say I'm always looking to get the best price for whatever I order so I was considering the 11lb bag. I was wondering how long a lb would last when fed to one greyhound. I'm also wanting to add the beets, which I'd order in the 5lb bag. I'm just wondering if they would stay good in the time it would take him to go through them.

Guest Johberry

We had ordered the 2.2 lb bag and it lasted us two months for our one hound. We feed from a half to a full tbsp every morning (we feed the same amount of the beets as well). I was worried about freshness as well hence the small bag, but our method of using a chip clip and placing the bag(s) in a glass montana jar is working just fine.

Guest Winnie2014

I have a bag of carrots and beets that I haven't yet given Winnie.

Do y'all normally mix the carrots with just water or with the oil as well? Our last adventure with pumpkin in her food ended with her having really bad runs and her nearly pooping in my apartment. :omg Since then, I've been afraid to add extra things to her food minus the warm water.

I have a bag of carrots and beets that I haven't yet given Winnie.

Do y'all normally mix the carrots with just water or with the oil as well? Our last adventure with pumpkin in her food ended with her having really bad runs and her nearly pooping in my apartment. :omg Since then, I've been afraid to add extra things to her food minus the warm water.

Forgive me if I've missed something, but are you going to give Winnie the carrots because she has poo problems or because you think a supplement is necessary? If her poos are good, I wouldn't fool around with her food.

Guest Winnie2014

Forgive me if I've missed something, but are you going to give Winnie the carrots because she has poo problems or because you think a supplement is necessary? If her poos are good, I wouldn't fool around with her food.

Her poos are pretty good until she's almost "empty" so to speak. Usually firm in the morning, at lunch, and firm/pudding evening walk (before dinner).

We tried the pumpkin in the first week when she still had really soft stools.

Her poos are pretty good until she's almost "empty" so to speak. Usually firm in the morning, at lunch, and firm/pudding evening walk (before dinner).

It's common for the poos to deteriorate as the day goes on.

Just checked my 11 lb bag I bought last month and the "best by" date is 12-15-15, so you should be in good shape if you order that for your one dog.

I give mine 1 1/2 tbsp per day. I also add 1 cup of water and a tablespoon of coconut oil (they got the daily before I ever started the carrots) with them as per the directions. It seems to help keep all the poos firm and my lab isn't as itchy as he usually is this time of year.

amr236.jpg
**Shellie with GiGi aka: Good Girl (Abita Raginflame X Ace High Heart) and two honorary hounds Butter and Bella**

https://www.etsy.com/shop/GiGisCloset2?ref=si_shop

That's pretty normal greyhound output. Too many add-in's and you will be dealing with constipation. If it ain't broke......

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

The carrots and oil are the only add-ins I use. I'm not a fan of putting a bunch of stuff in my dog's food either. If you feed a good quality food you shouldn't need a ton of add-ins.

amr236.jpg
**Shellie with GiGi aka: Good Girl (Abita Raginflame X Ace High Heart) and two honorary hounds Butter and Bella**

I talked to a woman at Olewo USA for about an hour yesterday. She is going to put a article on the website about how the greyhounds are discovering the Olewo products and how they are helping so many hounds. She said that even if you feed a very high quality dog kibble with the best ingrediants they are all processed the same and the heat process destroys a lot of the good stuff in the ingrediants. So many companies add man made vitamins and minerals and they are never as good as what comes naturally in food. She said to add the carrots and beets daily to their food (I feed mine separate since I free feed. Just add warm water, coconut oil and let it soak. My hounds love it).

The carrots help soothe the digestive system and calms it.

I think I bought a two pound bag of the carrots and one pound of the beets.

I talked to a woman at Olewo USA for about an hour yesterday. She is going to put a article on the website about how the greyhounds are discovering the Olewo products and how they are helping so many hounds. She said that even if you feed a very high quality dog kibble with the best ingrediants they are all processed the same and the heat process destroys a lot of the good stuff in the ingrediants. So many companies add man made vitamins and minerals and they are never as good as what comes naturally in food. She said to add the carrots and beets daily to their food (I feed mine separate since I free feed. Just add warm water, coconut oil and let it soak. My hounds love it).The carrots help soothe the digestive system and calms it.I think I bought a two pound bag of the carrots and one pound of the beets.

That is awesome! I'm so glad that others have found that it helps their hounds! I still haven't tried the beets.

amr236.jpg

I feed a tablespoon a day split between two meals. I ordered the 2.2 lb. bag as I was not sure how long it would last, may order the bigger size next time. I just use a clip on the top of the bag and they stay nice and fresh. I make a tablespoon with oil and water at night, just store it in the fridge and serve it the next day.

Two tablespoons dehydrated in a cup of warm water and a teaspoon of flaxseed oil makes two servings at my house. Our new senior came to us with "colitis" but now has almost normal poop.

Just received beets for our other senior girl who has lots of skin sensitivities despite a species appropriate diet and salmon oil. Am anxious to see the results.

Recommended to a friend whose two Greyhounds have always had very loose stools. After one serving, one dog had a solid stool and the second dog experienced the same after two servings.

Dehydrated carrots. Who knew?

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

I got a free sample of the beets when I ordered carrots from Olewo, have not tried them yet. Do you re hydrate them also or throw them in dry?

I rehydrate them just like the carrots. :)

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

How much can you rehydrate at a time? Can you do a few days worth or must it be right before serving time? How many minutes does it take to rehydrate the carrots?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I prepare mine fresh everyday. They say to let them soak for 10 min so I get bowls set out on a table and add the carrots, oil, and water. My guys get excited, but it's not that much of a big deal to make them wait :)

amr236.jpg

Guest Johberry

I prepare fresh every morning as well. Depending on how warm/hot the water used is, I soak between 10-15 minutes. I use 3/4 C water, 1 TSP coconut oil, and 1 TBSP of carrots. In a separate bowl, I hydrate some beets with a little bit of room temp water for the same amount of time. For the last 1-2 minutes of rehydration, I pour the beets in the same bowl with the carrots and mix. I'm curious about those who prepare ahead of time, does it keep well? We have a 6-7 hour drive early tomorrow morning hours before our hound's usual breakfast time and want to be able to put carrots/beets in his meal as usual. We'll have a cooler with ice in the car.

I prepare 3 cups at one time; 6 tablespoons of dehydrated carrots, 3 teaspoons of flaxseed oil and 3 cups of hot water. Mix in an container with a tight seal, give the container a good shake and put in the refrigerator. I use 1/2 cup per meal for a 75 lb dog.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

• 3 months later...
Guest Johberry

I prepare 3 cups at one time; 6 tablespoons of dehydrated carrots, 3 teaspoons of flaxseed oil and 3 cups of hot water. Mix in an container with a tight seal, give the container a good shake and put in the refrigerator. I use 1/2 cup per meal for a 75 lb dog.

Thank you for this tip! I'll be following this amount for our boy's 5 meals while he's babysat this weekend. :)