Olewo Carrots - How Much To Order?

4My2Greys

My two hounds love their carrots and beets. They come running at carrot time and both wag their tails the entire time they eat it. Have to figure out how to bring all of this with to Gig. Not sure if the hotel has a microwave.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my first order of the carrots.

I mixed one cup warm water, one tbsp of carrots and one tsp coconut oil. After mixing and letting it sit it looks like soup.

So now the serving size is up to one cup per greyhound? For this first batch I'm going to split it between them.

Have I "cooked" it right? :chow

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I uses 1/2 cup of water per tbsp of carrots otherwise I find it too soupy :P

It looks like soup when freashly "brewed" but overnight it has time to absorbs all the water and it looks like baby food (with 1/2 cup).

We started Jack with 1 tbsp of carrots because we did not know how much to give and also because his poo were just a little runny, so we did not wanted to have any...erm...adverse effects. He is now on 1 well rounded to 2 tbsp per meal and he does just fine. We could add more, but then again this is totally acceptable for now seeing as we only have had him for a few months and want to see how things evolves. We do not have runny poo anymore except if it is the second poo of the walk (rare).

Good luck to the crew ;)

Edited by locket

23786382928_141eff29e1.jpg
Cynthia, with Charlie (Britishlionheart) & Zorro el Galgo
Captain Jack (Check my Spots), my first love

I am now using the carrots for two different reasons. My 11 yr old boy who came to us with "Colitis" actually had hook and giardia, but he had been on sulfasalazine for years, (!!!!!!! because his previous owners declined any/all testing), that his digestive capabilities were sorely compromised. After taking care of the parasites, and s-l-o-w-l-y switching him to raw food, he still had pudding poo. Enter Olewo carrots. He is still getting the carrots twice a day, although, the amount required to keep his stool firm is down from 1/2 cup to about 1/4 cup per meal.

My 11 year old girl had a different issue. She tended to produce very low volume stools, what I call "pencil poop" which eventually contributed to a ruptured anal gland. (Ouch!) Adding a small amount of carrots (3 tablespoons) to her food has increased the volume of her stools without causing any constipation. Please note: I believe that the purpose of the carrots (and the beets to a lesser extent) is to create bulk which does not cause constipation.

A friend tried the carrots without the desired results, but since she added the beets, her two dogs now have firm stools for the first time in 5 years!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

I've just opened the second 2.2 lb bag of carrots. The first bag lasted approximately 60 days using 1 tbsp per day.

I decided to eliminate the oil as we really don't need it for Rocket. I use about 4-5 ounces of very hot water (using the "beverage" setting on the microwave) and make it the night before for the next day.Each night when I setup the coffee for the morning, I also make carrots. I split that into 2 meals. I have not found the need to refrigerate it when used within a day, but just cover it with plastic wrap to keep the water from evaporating out of them.

Rocket goes back and licks the dish clean if he happens to leave any residual carrots in the bowl. Trolley beat him to it one day when she was visiting! :bgeorge

Rocket has Stress Colitis, so the slightest thing can set it off even though he's a very mellow boy. His output literally bounces across the ground now since we started the carrots.

Edited by Time4ANap
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Big fan of the carrots here too! My new boy's output is now formed and pick-up-able! :clap

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Time4ANap, so if the package says approx. 1 tbsp with 1 cup of water, but Rocker gets it made with 4-5 ounces of water, do you normally add more water with his kibble?

I get the impression this does not have to be a precise ratio of carrots to water since all is coming out well in the end.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Time4ANap, so if the package says approx. 1 tbsp with 1 cup of water, but Rocker gets it made with 4-5 ounces of water, do you normally add more water with his kibble?

I get the impression this does not have to be a precise ratio of carrots to water since all is coming out well in the end.

Yes - I moisten his kibble with a little warm water. The consistency of the carrots using the 4 ounces of water makes it very easy to spoon half of the carrots out of the bowl for breakfast, and the other half for dinner. It's sort of the consistency of a thick oatmeal and I just put it on top of the kibble after I've moistened the kibble.

To make the carrots, I add the hot water to the dried carrots in a small bowl, cover it with plastic wrap and walk away. Don't over-think it. I did that at first because I wasn't sure what they were supposed to look like.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Yup, I was over thinking it. :rofl

I've made tomorrow's batch and reduced the water a bit so now it is more like a runny oatmeal.

tiny hada siggy.png

I mix it to the consistency of slightly liquid-y cooked and mashed squash. Water is put into Annie's kibble so the carrots are watered down even more and mixed thoroughly She gets about a quarter cup once a day. I just hate giving her a lot of stuff she may not need. After being on it for a few months, I can give it to her every other day and the positive effects are still evident. She eats it but doesn't love it, I assume, as evidenced by her not licking her bowl if all that's left is something that looks carrot like.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Johberry

We found that the beets rehydrated more quickly than the carrots so much so that premaking the night before wasn't necessary. Our hound likes the carrots more, so we rarely add the beets. Hopefully someone who feeds the beets more regularly will chime in. :)

Another success story!

When Miss Kapow came to us, her stools were liquid. After worming they were a little firmer, but still very soft pudding poo. I started feeding the beets and carrots on April 2. Today, she pooped on leash for the first time, with nice firm, easy to pick up poo. No scrubbing the grass for leftovers. YAY!

I ordered a 2 lb package of each beets and carrots, and mixed together. Beets have twice to three times the volume of carrots, and rehydrate much faster. I have found the hotter the water, the faster things rehydrate. Miss Kapow is getting 2 rounded T of the beet/carrot mix, rehydrated with 2 t. coconut oil and 3/4 C. hot water split between two meals. I make her mix up at night before bedtime, so it's ready for us to scoop out and feed in the morning.

Now, a question. Will I need to adjust the amount of beet/carrot mix as time passes? I do not want her to become constipated.

You! Out of the gene pool!

I have been using one heaping table spoon of carrots with the same amount of beets with a tablespoon of coconut oil and about 3/4 cup of hot water. Both hounds eat out of the same bowl. Haven't had to adjust the quantity of anything. Haven't had issues with them pooping too much or too little.

I just love this stuff!!

Rocket has Stress Colitis, so the slightest thing can set it off even though he's a very mellow boy. His output literally bounces across the ground now since we started the carrots.

My Ernie may also have stress colitis . I got my first bag of carrots yesterday and gave it to him today. I'm hoping things firm up soon. Any advice?

7218108076_e406044464_t.jpg 7004700518_27fa752995_t.jpg Walter (Windy Walker) and Ernie (PG Ernest) @WalterWallerson and IG: WalterandErnie 7150803233_d0700ccbdc_t.jpg 7004711314_ceba54665a_t.jpg

My Ernie may also have stress colitis . I got my first bag of carrots yesterday and gave it to him today. I'm hoping things firm up soon. Any advice?

Although my crew doesn't have stress colitis, I noticed a firming up of poop within a few days. At first I did not give the full recommended amount but am now. I am considering adding the beets soon.

tiny hada siggy.png

Although my crew doesn't have stress colitis, I noticed a firming up of poop within a few days. At first I did not give the full recommended amount but am now. I am considering adding the beets soon.

Ducky, something that you and others that attend greyhound events like Mountain Hounds might consider doing is going in together and dividing a large bag of the carrots and beets. If you get the carrots in the 33 lb size in brings the price per lb down to $4.25. The beets are $4.92 per lb if ordered in the largest bag.

Ducky, something that you and others that attend greyhound events like Mountain Hounds might consider doing is going in together and dividing a large bag of the carrots and beets. If you get the carrots in the 33 lb size in brings the price per lb down to $4.25. The beets are $4.92 per lb if ordered in the largest bag.

I'm planning on doing that myself.

You! Out of the gene pool!

Hmm, I hadn't thought about that. I did get some small bags when I reordered my large bag. Going to use the small bags for the raffles at Mountain Hounds.

tiny hada siggy.png