How Adaptable Are Greyhounds To Change?

Guest lupegirl8

Guest lupegirl8

So I'm finally moving to pet friendly housing next year and am starting my dog research early. Greyhounds are looking like a great breed for me. My biggest concern is I'm at a point in my life where I will likely be doing a fair amount of moving over the next few years. I know moving is stressful for any dog, and I would of course do everything possible to minimize stress and keep my dog's life as stable as possible, but since greyhounds tend towards more sensitive natures would moving be more stressful for a grey than other breeds?

Each dog is different, but I think that with time, any dog will adapt to new surroundings.

I moved to a new house the summer of 2013. Annie adapted immediately, but she had been with me 2 years and we are close, so as long as I was living in the new house, she was fine.

Edited by Feisty49

I, too, think most dogs would adapt. We moved once, when we had three dogs--not a long distance move, but a new home, new yard nonetheless. They were all fine--familiar things like their beds, couches, etc, go a long way toward making a place 'home' to them. And their routine is a comfort too--the dog I have now, Phoebe, doesn't care much about anything except that breakfast comes promptly at 7 a.m., and dinner is in the bowl at 4. ;) Oh, and that walk better be forthcoming around 8:00 a.m., or she lets you know! :lol

We also took those same three dogs to Dewey and Gettysburg every year. They adapted just fine to a few days in a hotel, too. Again, we took their beds, so it was something familiar.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Kasey has been through 2 moves. Handled it like a champ. For the most part, it's an exciting experience for them too. Where is that video of Rocket when I need it! He was doing fun spins in an open living room area!

All they want for the most part is to be snuggling with their human at the end of the night and just want you to stop working already! Just ensure when you are moving that they are kept safe so they don't escape through open doors.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Agree with the above. We moved earlier this year from a townhouse to a house, and Sweep adapted right away. As soon as she found her bed and all the other stuff that smelled like "home," she was content. We also kept her routine exactly the same throughout the moving process. I am sure some dogs have an easier time than others but wouldn't generalize based on breed. You're the constant they care about, not so much the physical environment.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Guest Clawsandpaws

I think some dogs do better than others, but overall I think most greyhounds do fine. My dog has moved 3 times. The last time we moved 4 hours away into a house with a yard and two other dogs. He took it all in stride. To be honest I didn't do anything special when it happened (ie: routines, etc) I just packed up my stuff and moved him. He did fine.

Depends on the dog. I take mine all over with me and they are fine.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest sireltonsmom

Greyhounds move from track to track, often out of state. Then they go to an adoption group, to their forever home and to another home if the first doesn't work out. I think they are one of the best breeds to have a move with. Our dogs stay with friends when we vacation and are fine. We keep friends dogs when they go away. Good luck with your research on greyhounds. The more you read and learn, the better.

Summit has done 2 moves, Kili has done 1. The most recent one was clear across the country. They really didn't care. They like car rides so that was YAY! And they like hotels so that was YAY! They're dogs. They're happiest to be wherever their people are. The stressful part of moving for most dogs is the packing. This time around Summit KNEW what was going on when we started packing up boxes. Kili was blissfully unaware, but she'll probably be a little suspicious next time. But the packing is only stressful because you can't reassure the dogs "Don't worry, you're coming with us". The actual moving part... our dogs have never seemed overly stressed. They're just happy to be with us.

Of course, there are some individuals who handle change very poorly. When looking for a dog at this point in your life with a lot of moving and instability (location wise) ahead it is probably best to look for a confident dog.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest AimeeBee

George has gone through one major move with me so far and he has adjusted fine. I've had some issues with separation anxiety since his adoption that seem to come and go but I don't think they specifically relate to moving. He is a relatively confident (though velcro) dog, which is something I'd look for if you know you'll be moving around a bit and need an adaptable hound.

I will however recommend having the dog go somewhere else on actual moving days if you can. The new living quarters bothered George much less than him seeing the old place being turned upside down and moved around. He was pacing and crying and being generally fretful on moving day (I didn't have anywhere to take him for the day) -- but once we were in our new space? No worries! He sniffed out everything, found his bed and was napping soon after.

Like sireltonsmom said - greyhounds move a lot throughout their lives. They grow up on farms which may finish them for the track there or send them to another farm. Then they go to the track (or tracks - most of mine ran at at least 2 tracks). Many go to an adoption kennel and some are moved into foster homes.

Greyhounds are VERY adaptable for the most part, especially if they ran for a bit. Their lives have been full of different people and places.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest lupegirl8

Good to know this won't be a big issue! I know some people that say you should never get a dog if you think you might move in the near future, which never made much sense to me. Wolves move around with their pack all the time, so I'd think a dog moving somewhere, as long as he is with his beloved person/people, would be almost natural. Assuming the owner makes a committment to finding pet friendly housing of course. And I will of course inform the adoption agency of my moving around so they can match me with the appropriate canine.

Your last sentence is the most important one. Having an adaptable greyhound already will make things much better. A lot of times, the stress of moving will bring out anxiety behaviors, even in dogs who have never displayed them before. Such things like an onset of separation anxiety or pottying in the house seem to happen most often, but it can also be just about anything.

If you get your dog and have the time, I would do several weekends away, and expose the dog to travelling and getting used to new places. That will tell you a lot about how the dog will react to a move, and also reassure your dog that travelling is fun and not something to be anxious about. It will make the actuality of moving easier for everyone.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly