Poop Questions!

Guest Lygracilux

Guest Lygracilux

Hey guys! Everything is still going well with my baby boy.

Just had a quick question about his poops.

When we brought him home a little over a week ago, he had the crazy runs. Like liquid, no substance at all. We figured it was nerves and such, so we just put him on a bland diet of rice, a little kibble and some non fat chicken breast.

Once things hardened up abit, we started transferring him over to Iam's green bag, which he seems to like and hasn't caused any upset.

His stools are for the most part okay now, but not bouncy and hard as we hoped. They're usually soft and substantial at first and a little runny when hes finishing.

I was wondering how long it should take for him to have nice bouncy poo's...as Im tearing up this grass trying to get all the poops haha.

He was treated for hookworms, and needs to be re-fecaled I assume (we have a vet appt tuesday) could that have something to do with it?

Thanks!

I'm sure some more-experienced people can chime in, but I just wanted to add that we've tried the IAMS and now feed Nature's Domain from Costco. Jake's never had consistently bouncy poo's. They are much improved from when we first got him though. I think that's fairly normal.

jakesigsmall_zps254e191c.jpg

Photographer in Phoenix, AZ www.northmountainphoto.com

I have had Chancey for 8 months now and even after finding a food that mostly produces solid poop, the last ones are still a bit sloppy by the end of the day. I believe several others have said the same.

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

Hookworms can be really tough to get rid of. Have you been treating your yard/the areas where he poops regularly? He could be reinfecting himself. My suggestion would be to search this forum for other threads on hookworms and get aggressive about how you treat them if you aren't already before you start doing a lot of food switches. I also recommend a Probiotic - I like Fortiflora and any of the VetriScience products.

ETA: Maybe I should clarify, by "aggressive", I mean don't just treat once and rely on a negative fecal to assume they're gone. Fecals can "falsely" be negative as they only turn up positive in there are eggs in the feces, which is only one part of the life cycle. So I would treat with multiple courses of whatever you're using (assuming Panacur) spaced appropriately to catch remaining hooks and also clean and sterilize thoroughly any area where your pup has pooped before you let her back out in the yard.

Some good info here:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_hookworms.html

If you read up on the life cycle stuff, you can see how this can easily become a chronic problem if not treated aggressively (imho).

A couple relevant GT threads:

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/307775-hookworm-treatment-update-at-4/?hl=hookworm

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/299009-wondering-how-long-it-could-take-to-get-rid-of-hookworms/?hl=hookworm&do=findComment&comment=5523695

and this one especially:

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/299301-hookworm-treatment-do-symptoms-usually-get-worse-before-getting-better/?hl=hookworm

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Not abnormal to have a bouncy poop, but then less bouncy in poops later in the day. :bounce8

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Monty has never had what I would call "bouncy" poops. His tend toward softer, and if he's been walked long distances he will drop a second one that will be less-than-totally-ok (a second is not good definitely leaves a residue, and a third is softserve to melted-softserve and grass is pulled and dirt dug up).

It could still be nerves, it could be the worms, and hooks are hell to get rid of as Neylasmom has indicated. And then some dogs just never have "bounce" to their poo.

Hookworms can be really tough to get rid of. Have you been treating your yard/the areas where he poops regularly? He could be reinfecting himself. My suggestion would be to search this forum for other threads on hookworms and get aggressive about how you treat them if you aren't already before you start doing a lot of food switches. I also recommend a Probiotic - I like Fortiflora and any of the VetriScience products.

ETA: Maybe I should clarify, by "aggressive", I mean don't just treat once and rely on a negative fecal to assume they're gone. Fecals can "falsely" be negative as they only turn up positive in there are eggs in the feces, which is only one part of the life cycle. So I would treat with multiple courses of whatever you're using (assuming Panacur) spaced appropriately to catch remaining hooks and also clean and sterilize thoroughly any area where your pup has pooped before you let her back out in the yard.

Some good info here:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_hookworms.html

If you read up on the life cycle stuff, you can see how this can easily become a chronic problem if not treated aggressively (imho).

A couple relevant GT threads:

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/307775-hookworm-treatment-update-at-4/?hl=hookworm

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/299009-wondering-how-long-it-could-take-to-get-rid-of-hookworms/?hl=hookworm&do=findComment&comment=5523695

and this one especially:

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/299301-hookworm-treatment-do-symptoms-usually-get-worse-before-getting-better/?hl=hookworm

THIS!!!

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest greyhound_in_LA

I feed my dog Acana Regionals plus a raw snack every day, and his poops roll when they hit the ground.

When they are mushy, I add canned pumpkin to his diet. There's also that product from The Honest Kitchen, Perfect Form, that's supposed to be great for mushy poo as well.

http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/treats-supplements/supplements/perfect-form

It could be that hookworms are still there ...

As for the grass, it's really useless to try to scrape up diarrhea. Trust me. When I had puppies ages ago, I tried to scrape up their runny poops from grass, but it's just easier to hose it down into the soil after all deworming has been done.

Guest Lygracilux

His poops were better last night. Still soft, but had substance even after the last 4 poos. (he likes to do little ones in different areas all over the yard after the big one)

Okay, I will de worm again with Panacur? Is there a website I can buy this on or do I need a prescription?

About treating the yard- I dont have a hose back there...any other methods or ideas to wash it all away?

Guest Johberry

We are dealing with the same issue as well as our boy came with hooks. If you do a search on the forum, there are a lot of great posts with a plethora of info from experienced owners.

Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken but I believe you can buy Panacur online without prescription. Although our adoption group is giving us more meds since our hound had another positive fecal test last weekend, I went ahead and ordered pyrantel pamoate on Amazon (it's a liquid suspension rather than pills/chews). Hope that helps you some.

You can get Panacur without a Rx. Petsmart sells it (it's labeled as SafeGuard there), but it's much cheaper online. I get mine (in packets) from Amazon.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest fueldeacon

For our dog the longer she digest after eating the better it is. In the morning she will have a pretty solid poop and even after dinner she will have a good first poop but if she does a second poop on a walk it isn't the good at all .

We fed her HIlls ID Low fat which is a perscription dog food for the longest time however our vet recommended Natural Balance Synergy which has been wonderful and is a lot less expensive.

Olewo Carrots firmed up Violet's poops a LOT. They're a freeze dried carrot pellet that you reconstitute and add to the regular feed. I'm glad to be able to pick up Violet's poops without having to hose the grass down afterwards.