Big Marrow Bones?

Guest Lygracilux

Guest Lygracilux

How do your grey's do with marrow bones?

My fiance's parents give the big ol' ones to the dobies. Once they get all the marrow she fills them with peanut butter, yogurt, cookies and freezes them.

Its kind of like a cheaper version of a kong....

Opinions?

Rocket does okay with them, but I supervise the whole time. I usually have them cut to about a 2-3 inch size when I buy them. I don't re-use them once empty because they tend to splinter once they start drying out.

There are many people who will tell you that bones are dangerous and can cause broken teeth. In our case, Rocket is pretty gentle with them and just works the marrow out. If he had a tendency to chomp down on the bone i may not give them, but he doesn't chew the bone portion, just works the marrow out.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I use them for the girls. But we feed raw and I know the girls are very careful chewers. Actually they don't even chew on them. Just lick out the insides. LOL Chewing those is may too much effort for no reward.

You do want to supervise and use caution. The thin muzzled dogs can get their lower or upper jaw stuck inside the larger marrow bones. Never happened to us, but it's a possibility.

------

Jessica

Guest greyhound_in_LA

I only let mine chew the meat and any cartilage off a leg bone. I take it away when he starts to bite it and give him marrow bones that have already been cut up. He licks the marrow patiently and never tries to chew those, so I save like one or two and restuff with peanut butter.

Guest Lygracilux

I only let mine chew the meat and any cartilage off a leg bone. I take it away when he starts to bite it and give him marrow bones that have already been cut up. He licks the marrow patiently and never tries to chew those, so I save like one or two and restuff with peanut butter.

Yeah thats what I meant.

Like one of the bones you buy at a pet food store that are already cut up, have a hole in them, and have yummy good-ness inside. :chow

Like these: beef-bones.jpg

I buy Brady 3 inch bones and freeze them. He chews the outside and licks the marrow out. Once he is finished I throw the bones away. If the bones are any longer he gives up on the marrow...

Debbie

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

i stopped giving annie her favorite- marrow bones- since she is such a voracious chewer- she wore down her front teeth! greyhounds do have the softest teeth i've even seen- my other dogs never did that! yes, they were raw, 6"long from the butcher. make sure they are long so they don't get stuck around the dog's snout. i remove some of the marrow since it's so rich and freeze them in-between chewing sessions.

Guest Lillypad

Like everything I guess it is a matter of personal preference and situation. I am not comfortable with them. I feed a whole prey style raw diet, this regime does not recommend weight bearing bones of any type. My girl is a heavy gnawer and therefore could cause herself harm. I would like to mention that my vet considers the "smoked" femurs sold in pet stores to be cooked. Cooked bones are a definite NO because they have the potential to splinter. NEVER feed cooked bones of any type. Also marrow is 100 percent fat, so be mindful of diarrhea if your hound consumes too much. Lots of folks (myself included) feed turkey necks, chicken feet and pigs feet to their hounds to satisfy gnawing and as a treat. They are also great for teeth cleaning. And one more thing, will your hound give up the bone if need be. If not, try what is called "trading up", offer a food they can't refuse and when distracted by it nick the bone away... deceitful, yes, but works fabulously... LOL

Like everything I guess it is a matter of personal preference and situation. I am not comfortable with them. I feed a whole prey style raw diet, this regime does not recommend weight bearing bones of any type. My girl is a heavy gnawer and therefore could cause herself harm. I would like to mention that my vet considers the "smoked" femurs sold in pet stores to be cooked. Cooked bones are a definite NO because they have the potential to splinter. NEVER feed cooked bones of any type. Also marrow is 100 percent fat, so be mindful of diarrhea if your hound consumes too much. Lots of folks (myself included) feed turkey necks, chicken feet and pigs feet to their hounds to satisfy gnawing and as a treat. They are also great for teeth cleaning. And one more thing, will your hound give up the bone if need be. If not, try what is called "trading up", offer a food they can't refuse and when distracted by it nick the bone away... deceitful, yes, but works fabulously... LOL

That's what I believe and was taught, too, that weight-bearing bones are not to be given and neither are those smoked pet store ones. I like giving treats of raw (frozen or defrosted) turkey necks, duck necks and beef neck vertebrae.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest greyhound_in_LA

I'm sure some dogs get marrow bones stuck on their jaws, which is why I don't give bones unsupervised. I also use a kitchen tool to punch out marrow if I think it's too much in one sitting. So far there's been no diarrhea because of marrow.

Guest chickenpotpie

I use them for the girls. But we feed raw and I know the girls are very careful chewers. Actually they don't even chew on them. Just lick out the insides. LOL Chewing those is may too much effort for no reward.

You do want to supervise and use caution. The thin muzzled dogs can get their lower or upper jaw stuck inside the larger marrow bones. Never happened to us, but it's a possibility.

Same here, I don't even bother anymore.

My weimaraner, Hannah, was a power chewer, typical of her breed, and cracked a tooth chewing on one. My greyhounds have never been particularly interested in them other than to lick the filling out.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

• 2 weeks later...

I've used them with several dogs, but it depends on the dog. I don't buy mine at a petstore, I buy them at the grocery store. They're frozen in the meat department, and are called "soup bones". They're cow leg bones with the marrow inside and usually some tendon and flesh on the outside, usually in 6" pieces. I don't let a dog that's obsessed with one lick all the marrow out in one day - that caused runny poop. I'll take them away after a couple hours, throw them in a ziplock bag and stick them in the freezer. pull out another day - repeat. Once the marrow is out I let them just have them till they start getting ratty. I've never given them to fosters that were hard, obsessive chewers. They'd probably break a tooth. My moderate chewers have never had an issue.

I also give them outside in the yard the first time for the dog to get the raw flesh and tendons off before coming in the house. You are probably buying more "pet" versions that wouldn't have all that ickiness.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TheGirlz

Yip, my girl is a raw feeder so turkey or chicken necks, meaty chicken carcass all uncooked of course. These are more what I call soft cartilage rather than full on bone, great for teeth and treats. I'm too paranoid to give anything bigger or harder and I always supervise.