Sudden Fear Or Dislike Of Crate

Sigh. Brees.

I posted last week that Brees finally learned how to nose open a door, but I guess her brain was already full, because now she can't seem to remember how to walk into her open crate. She stands there, staring at it, then gives up and sleeps elsewhere. It's pitiful. Until last week, she loved her crate and put herself in it all the time.

I changed out the bed after this started. Didn't help. Hubby thought she might be chilly, so we tried leaving the AC off. Nope.

Last night, she stared at the crate for a bit (like she stares at the open car door before we give up and lift her in), so hubby stuffed her in. She turned around and laid right down, but was up and sleeping on the floor within 20 minutes.

I do prefer her to sleep in the crate (door is open), because it keeps her outta Joe's way, but she doesn't *have* to crate. If this continues, I'll just get rid of it. But it's weird, and I don't understand.

Gratuitous pic of Her Royal Idiocy, eating cracker jacks.

b1c2ebe93197fd798a332def1208f63d.jpg

We had something similar with Zeke a couple months ago. He always crated fine -- I let him out first, then while Larry's out, Zeke gets kenneled, then I get Larry and kennel Larry. Prior to the issues that popped up, Zeke got dehydrated chicken feet pieces as his "prize" for crating (they both get a frozen Kong as we're leaving too). So, one day, I get Zeke in his crate, go down to get Larry, and in the 20 seconds I was gone, I came back to find Zeke panting and shaking (like he gets when there's thunder). Nothing that I know of happened in the 20 seconds I was gone, and it was a sunny day.

it continued to get worse, to the point where he wouldn't come in on the last turnout and I had to walk him out on a leash to even get him back in. Same thing, shaking and panting. Thankfully that only lasted maybe a month or a bit longer, he's back to normal now. We have NO idea what happened (if something even did!).

can you work with her and toss a high value treat into the back of the kennel?

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Any chance Brees' tags may have gotten caught up in the crate and that spooked her?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Raineysmom, I can do that. It's just a matter of remembering to take the good stuff upstairs. :) A brand new soccer ball would almost certainly do the trick!

Ducky, totally possible and would make sense. BUT, we're talking about Brees here. Sense isn't often part of the equation!

It's weird. She seems to want to go in. She stares at the opening for two or three minutes before finally giving up. When hubby stuffed her in last night, she was fine with it. Not at all like when I shove her in the bathroom for her semiannual bath. The brakes REALLY go on then.

Maybe she's just decided she doesn't need it anymore? It might be a temporary thing, too. Mine will switch around which bed is their favorite every once in a while. Then in a few months, they're back to the original bed again just fine.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

She's lucky she's pretty! :lol What a goober. A darling goober.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest rizzismom

:flipI feel your frustration! Today Rizzi performed the ultimate great escape from the crate: She was in it with her Kong, toys and antler bone, with the slides shut and a C-clamp on it (because she has escaped before)--and probably within 10 minutes of my leaving for work (because the peanut butter was still on the antler) she managed to squeeze herself out of the crate. Fortunately she didn't do any other bad deeds after escaping, though!

So now what? I have a table-chewing grey who is on probation for that with my husband, who now will not stay in her crate. I ordered the muzzle from North Carolina Greyhound, so will see how that works...

If the dog has tried to escape or has escaped, NO MORE CRATE. I say that as someone who prefers a dog who can be crated, but escapees can't be -- can wind up badly hurt or worse :( . Baby gates, muzzle, some dogs who can't be crated are OK in an exercise pen .....

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

If the dog has tried to escape or has escaped, NO MORE CRATE. I say that as someone who prefers a dog who can be crated, but escapees can't be -- can wind up badly hurt or worse :( . Baby gates, muzzle, some dogs who can't be crated are OK in an exercise pen .....

Amen, amen.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Agree, especially with muzzle and baby-gating into a doggie-proofed room in the house.

An added caution about exercise pens. They should be very well-secured if leaving a dog in an ex-pen unsupervised; otherwise, the pen walls can collapse onto the dog if a dog tries to climb or lean on the pen.

Riverhound: If the crate has never been used as punishment, and changing the crate bedding didn't work, it does seem like a snagged collar/tag might have spooked Brees inside her crate. It can be extremely scary for them, dogs have strangled to death from catching collars/tags on crates.

Agree with tossing a treat inside to encourage them to enter willingly. :)