Creatinine Level Is 16- Wth ?

Has anyone ever heard of that or experienced that? Obviously not good, but even the Vet has never seen that with a dog that is still moving around, going outside to pee... appetite is very poor! :(

ho5U2p6.jpg?1

What was the BUN?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

ETA: Is the dog getting fluids? I would have her in at the vet for IV fluids until you can get to the bottom of things ......

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

She eats very liquidy A/D canned food and will drink water. I do not know the BUN.

She also has osteo in her right wrist and has had a sudden turn for the worse with pain there that we have been trying to handle. If things are as bad as they seem, I do not want her at the vet away from me....

It is all very sudden from no pain and no limping to a lot of pain and kidney issues off the charts ??????????

ho5U2p6.jpg?1

It is all very sudden from no pain and no limping to a lot of pain and kidney issues off the charts ??????????

Can't address the kidney issues but many in the osteo thread have reported seeing a dramatic increase in osteo pain/limping at some point while attempting to manage the disease. We clearly saw this with Bee at the eight week mark. Did your vet up the dosages and types of pain medications?

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

I second the question about BUN level and would also want to know her phosphorus and electrolytes. Also urinalysis results, especially the specific gravity. I've seen levels that high, but the dogs are usually very, very sick with other bloodwork abnormalities. Has she had any vomiting?

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

threw up only x1 on the way to the vet ( my driving?! a little humor in my sorrow)

phosphorus is high. what could possibly be the intervention at this point? Just kind of talking outloud...

ho5U2p6.jpg?1

Unfortunately, based on the bloodwork, it looks like she's in kidney failure. The only thing you can really do is try to treat the symptoms and see if you can get her feeling better. What is your vet suggesting? I'd ask if they want to make any adjustments to her pain meds, and see if they even want you try a kidney diet. IV fluids might help her feel better, but she'd have to be hospitalized for at least a day or two for that. I'd also consider nausea/stomach meds as she's probably not eating well due to the effects of the elevated kidney levels.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

what nausea meds are OK to give. She is not really eating so any diet goes. ...

Vet does not have a lot of suggestions. Rymidal and Gabapentin for the pain in her leg, the A/D food watered down or anything she will eat.. ugh

ho5U2p6.jpg?1

Tell me something I do not know.

Since this is all just since Friday, I think we wanted to try something/ anything we could. She is such a strong young ( for 11 yr old) and vibrant dog until late last week - it is shocking!

ho5U2p6.jpg?1

I'm so very sorry to see this. I lost my galgo, Cruz, to kidney failure almost two years ago and it was so very hard to keep him eating and feeling well. The fluids did help him for a while. He was on an appetite stimulant to keep him eating, but it was a daily challenge. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

If she enjoys being at the vet, you might try a couple days of drop her off in the morning, give IV fluids throughout the day, bring her back home in the evening. No guarantee that would help -- sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't :( .

I'm sure you've already considered this, but I would feed her whatever you think she might possibly be interested in eating -- granola bars, pork chops, peanutbutter sandwiches, sardines, whatever.

I'm sorry your girl isn't well.

Peanut butter off the spoon is the big winner! And she does not seem to mind the A/D food from the vet which is watered down so she gets fluids. She does NOT like the vet and that would be a very stressful situation for her. But, good idea. I wish she would eat a pork chop, she has never had one in her life as we do not eat them, but she has lost interest in chewing food.

Turned down mashed potatoes with gravy tonight- what the... who does that??

What kind of appetite stimulant is there?

ho5U2p6.jpg?1

Mashed potatoes and gravy may be a little ... bland? My dear Scout, in the late stages of his kidney disease (and how I hate typing that phrase in relation to your sweet girl) wanted meat and nothing but meat. Bad for his kidneys, but oh, he enjoyed it. Have you tried one of the "satin ball" recipes that you can search for on GT? The one I like has beef and peanut butter.

Sending many, many :grouphug

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Appetite stimulants: There's a drug called mirtazapine that's used to boost appetite in dogs. Sometimes one of the anti-nausea meds such as Zofran can help as well. Your vet could prescribe either one for you to pick up either there (if he/she carries them) or at a human pharmacy.

Foods: You just never know what will appeal to a dog who isn't feeling her best. Maybe ground beef, gently cooked and all crumbled up so she can lap it up without chewing? Or scrambled eggs? Vanilla yogurt and vanilla ice cream have usually gone over well here.

I'm glad she liked the peanutbutter :wub: .

When mine have been reluctant to eat because of other serious health issues, I found I had to change things every couple of days. They would eat something for a few meals, then refuse it and I would try something else. An anti-nausea med like cerenia might help too.

Guest OPointyDog

Mirtazapine worked wonders on our dog when she had cancer and was not feeling well and would not eat. It's also an anti-depressant, and I think that helps, too.

I bought liver sprinkles that I used to put on her food - they also helped!