Should We Bump Up To Two? Your Experience?

Guest AbbyH

We always thought that Breeze was very happy being an only dog. Then two years later we met Beka and my husband was the first one to be smitten with her. We took Breeze to meet her and from the first moment they got along wonderfully. Now they are best friends and keep each other company when we are gone. I say go for it! :)

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest AbbyH

We are going to take Abby for a visit tomorrow. If all goes well we are going to ask to keep the other pup over the weekend. We understand that this won't be a totally valid test given that the other pup has just retired and has had no chance to adjust. Still, it could help us learn a little about how they get along.

Everyone is correct that we can always take the new pup back. However, we have to factor in the 12 and 14 year old kids. I'm not so sure that they would deal with that so well. They love dogs and would have a hard time giving up just because they didn't get along well. It's good and bad. On the one hand they need to face the reality of the situation. On the other hand they really understand the commitment and they would not give up easy. So we will only bring her home if it looks very promising.

Thanks again

I have two who don't really like each other. It's ok. They play together sometimes and give each other space the rest of the time. Growling and snarking is daily. Neither lays teeth on the other. Ever. They communicate very well with one another, and we've learned to be ok with it. That said, they were muzzled for a month when the second came home, and a lot of the time after that. No muzzles two years later.

It can be crappy at first and still work out.

Guest LazyBlaze

:goodluck that the meeting of the sisters goes well! I'm firmly in the '2 is certainly more expense, very little more trouble, and lots more fun' camp.

Good luck! (and :bounce2 ). Keep us posted.

We find Greyhounds are easier in multiples than other breeds because they are such easy, family members/house dogs. Many Greyhounds are more pack-oriented than other breeds since they've lived with other Greyhounds during their entire life. The same sex pups usually stay together longer on the breeding farm and during early race training. During pro-racing they are still housed with many Greyhounds.

We brought in two mid-aged sister littermates who were fine together, even after nearly 5 years of racing. Both were extremely loving, outgoing, and playful.

We have a mother and daughter who are extremely close, yet also happily independent. The daughter happens to act like a glued bookend with our other (non-related) hound who has a similar young, playful personality. The non-related friendly bookends are 4 years apart in age but the older one has separation anxiety. The older one doesn't make a move without her best buddy. :) They are not sleep snugglers since the younger one prefers her own sleeping space, but that's fine too. (None of our hounds are allowed on human furniture.)

Guest AbbyH

UPDATE

The visit went very well. Abby immediately took the alpha role and the other pup (still to be named) was happily submissive. No growling, no conflict, no jealousy, and a little bit of play. Abby wanted most of the toy time and pup number 2 happily gave in. Bullying would be bad but an established pecking order would be great.

We are going to bring the other girl home Thursday for a two night stay. If all goes well she will return to the kennel for spay, teeth cleaning, etc.

That's great news!

Might keep in mind that if you're neighborhood experiences fireworks, it might not be the most fair doggie trial time (from your new girl's perspective), but I imagine she'll be delighted to be in her (potential) forever home with her very own sister. :)

(We try to time Greyhound potty outings before and after fireworks. If fireworks noise is a possibility, it's helpful to keep new hounds leashed even if doing a quick outing within a fenced backyard.)

Good luck, and we'll look forward to reading about her successful home trial!

Guest AbbyH

Might keep in mind that if you're neighborhood experiences fireworks, it might not be the most fair doggie trial time (from your new girl's perspective), but I imagine she'll be delighted to be in her (potential) forever home with her very own sister. :)

(We try to time Greyhound potty outings before and after fireworks. If fireworks noise is a possibility, it's helpful to keep new hounds leashed even if doing a quick outing within a fenced backyard.)

We've had two dogs in the past that were terrified of fireworks so we typically stay home. We keep music on at a fairly high volume and try to distract them as much as possible. We have a six foot high privacy fence but we will still leash them for potty breaks.

Thanks again for all of the great responses.

Guest AbbyH

Update

Piper (yes, she has a name now) has been with us for five hours. The first greeting went very well. Later there was a little growling from Piper when Abby stood and stared her down too long. No real aggression, just a growl. Piper is nervous with her ears pinned back but she does play and romp with all of us and a little with Abby. They are both possessive of toys.

All in all it is going very well considering that Piper is in a totally foreign world. She sleeps comfortably and has eaten well. All looks very promising.

P.S. Thanks for the well wishes.

Edited by AbbyH

Guest AbbyH

Well.... bedtime didn't go quite as well as the rest of the day. We crated Piper (the new girl). She went in on her own and laid down. We later closed the door. When Abby would walk by Piper would growl viciously. She was very aggressive. She is tired and displaced so we expect her to be nervous and frightened.

Does this sound typical or is it a bad sign for the future?

What Brandiandwe said ...

Plus, females can be a bit more ... demonstrative ... of their alpha bitchiness than males. And Piper might show a few more of those traits as she adjusts into being 'home'. I'm sure you've already thought of this, but you might want to pick up the toys while you leave them alone, even with muzzles on, since both of them are possessive.

I'm so excited for you!

All normal behavior. Things will get sorted out when she is there to stay, and they both figure it out.

My Mickey is 11, and the oldest of five. Last year he was ten, and the youngest. He was always a grumpy guy, but has had to deal with losing two long term housemates last year, and gaining four new ones over a two month period. He is still a grump, but the others have learned to deal with him. He growls when another comes near, or enters the room where he is. He is just being a grumpy old man! The others have learned to ignore it. They look away and wait for him to shut up before they continue. He sometimes plays with them in the yard. They are all free in the house when I'm out. The youngest, the only other male, will sometimes challenge Mickey, but they figure it out. They don't lunge or snap at each other.

The two males have each been bitten by the other, through accidental events happening in front of me. Mickey has SLO, and Ace stepped on his sore, bloody toe when passing through a doorway. Mickey bit him while till screaming. Mickey was sleeping on my bed the other time. He rolled over, fell off the bed, and landed on Ace's head while he was sleeping on the floor at the foot of my bed. Ace bit him. Things like that can happen between dogs, even if they like each other. Keep an eye on them as they sort things out, but let them do it. In most cases, a growl is just the dog letting everyone know that she is not happy with what is going on at the time. Good luck, and enjoy!

Guest AbbyH

Yet another update.

Right now it is a good news, bad news situation. The girls like to play with each other. Play starts with a lot of mouthing and posturing. One or the other will lay on her back and paw and mouth the other. They really have a good time and get very excited. Laying on their backs with legs wide open is some very comfortable body language. The bad news is that every single play session has ended with one or the other yelping and growling. They just communicate but pretty harshly. There have been no bites. One time I believe that we would have had a fight on our hands had I not broken it up. After even that incident they went right back to playing.

Of course I know that they could be muzzled. However, they can't mouth each other that way. Normal dogs mouth. It's how they play.

The complicating factor is that it is my 90 year old mother-in-law that will watch them during the day. She is pretty spry for 90 but terrified of what will happen if they "fight."

Also, we have to keep in mind that they are only two years old.

We are still debating on how to proceed.

Guest AbbyH

I've put a short video on YouTube. It shows two times that play got out of hand. In each case they had been playing well for quite a while before things went bad.

Your thoughts?

Abby has the darker face and the big purple collar.

http://youtu.be/YJEve9lQsgQ

Guest k9soul

From what I can see in the video, it looks like in general they are playful and want to be together, but sometimes one is nipping or pushing a bit too hard and that causes a squabble. It doesn't seem serious, but there always could be that one time where it could progress to a fight, and with that thin greyhound skin that tears so easily you could end up with some serious vet bills. So honestly if it were me personally I would still keep them both muzzled for a while to give them time to get used to each other and for them to learn each others' boundaries. I think they definitely have potential to have a great relationship, but may need some time to settle in more together. There's a chance that nothing big would ever happen, but after having seen some pretty scary photos of hound wounds after a spat, I prefer to err on the side of caution.