Urine Positive For Protein, Bilirubin, And Blood

Well it looks like problems are now starting for Chase. He went in this past Thursday to have his teeth cleaned and a growth removed from his lip. That morning I noticed his urine had a rusty looking color to it so I had them do another urinalysis to compare with the one that was done on June 7th. Both were done by Antech.

Protein was 3+ up from 1+

Bilirubin was 3+ up from 2+

Blood was 3+ up from NEG

RBC was >50 HPF up from None

Vet is going to call today to discuss these results.

From what I've read I'm possibly dealing with an issue with his liver or bile duct.

I'm really tired of my dogs being sick, or should I now say dog since I've only got one left. The one bit of good news is that the biopsy on the growth came back as a benign melanocytoma.

Judy --- sorry you and Chase are now dealing with this. :whiteflag you need a :grouphug

good luck and keep us posted on what your vet says later today!!!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

I'm sorry you're dealing with another potential medical issue. :( How old is Chase? Have you run blood work recently?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

As a chemist let me ask you to please not take that test as proof of anything. Too much crap can happen to lab tests to take any one of them as proof of anything. Get another test before you start to worry or do any treatments. Test methods and a slew of other things can provide incorrect results. This is especially suspicious since the earlier test which was run so recently was much better.

As a chemist let me ask you to please not take that test as proof of anything. Too much crap can happen to lab tests to take any one of them as proof of anything. Get another test before you start to worry or do any treatments. Test methods and a slew of other things can provide incorrect results. This is especially suspicious since the earlier test which was run so recently was much better.

very good point !! :nod another test is worth doing!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

I'm still concerned, but you all are making me feel a little bit better. I just got a message from the vet. He's not concerned with the bloody or protein levels. He feels this is a result of the collection method, cystocentesis. He's waiting on a consultation with the lab about the bilirubin.

Superchem panel from 6/7

AST (SGOT) was 103 U/L with range of 15-66

Bilirubin was 0.4 mg/dL range of 0.1-0.3

There were no WBC or bacteria present in the urinalysis. As far as bilirubin in the urine is there a certain level at which one should be concerned?

One other thing, which I don't know if somehow is related, but I've noticed him several times forcefully swallowing several times over and over, as if he had a lump in his throat.

:goodluck Sending good thoughts.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

If the heavy-duty swallowing is happening not long after a meal, it could be reflux. Talk to your vet about whether you should give Prevacid or Prilosec on a regular basis. And it might help if you can keep Chase upright for 30 minutes or so after a meal. Where reflux is concerned, gravity is your friend.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)