How Do You Know When It's Time For Goodbye?

Guest Annie_Bon_Annie

So sorry to hear of Magic's back and leg problems. Do you have a belly strap (for handicapped pooches that need help with ambulation)? If you don't have one, I know you can purchase them on-line but they are simple as pie to make them too...and cheaper! A friend of mine had a borzoi with the same problem and she made a belly strap for her dog. The Borzoi lived a much more rewarding life being able to do her dog thing and it kept her morale up as well.

I will make one like that in less than an hour, if you privately send me your posting address. My e-mail addy is holljes.mousehouse@gmail.com (See what retirement can do for you? - besides making you crazy) The reason I ask if you know of them or want one is to benefit Magic. It can really help you and Magic to enter and exit a car easily. And there is very little strength needed on your part. When you take him for a walk, put it in your pocket or a small bag or lay the straps across his back.. If he falls, you can help him up, he won't struggle.

What dose of gabapentin is he on. I'm on that drug too for a badly crumbling back for osteoporosis. The drug can make him dizzy and unsteady on his feet. It's a minimal problem compared to the comfort he receives.

Let me know if you want me to make one for you. It should help his emotional state if he can get out and do all the sniffy stuff he's always been used to doing and remember, it's a progressive disease, and you may need it later. :ghplaybow

Hugs to you and Magic!

Sue

Sue,

I do have an assist harness that I use for the car. Thanks though. Magic is on 100 mg gabapentin 3 times a day. At first he was having terrible problems but after about 10 days or so, his body adjusted and he started acting normal. The vet said I could increase the dosage if he seemed to be in pain although I understand it's not a pain med.

Carol, missing Magic (1/5/01 - 4/15/15) but welcoming Fuzzy's Joy Behar (Joy) into my life on 5/31/15.

Carol, Paul takes 300 mgs twice a day as well as 50 mgs tramadol. You can increase his dosage. We are dealing with the same issues.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Sue,

I do have an assist harness that I use for the car. Thanks though. Magic is on 100 mg gabapentin 3 times a day. At first he was having terrible problems but after about 10 days or so, his body adjusted and he started acting normal. The vet said I could increase the dosage if he seemed to be in pain although I understand it's not a pain med.

Think it's time to increase the gabapentin dose. As you know do so slowly so you don't see a wonkyness side effect. It actually is a pain med--helps combat nerve pain.

Guest Annie_Bon_Annie

Originally, Neurontin, (gabapentin) was designed for seizure control, then it was tried on pain from shingles, and was successful with it. Now it happens that there are multiple uses for different types of pain. I did a C&P of this article as they explained it better than I could. Here goes!!:

• Nerves take messages back and forth from the brain to different parts of the body. If you touch something, a message is sent to your brain. Your brain interprets the message and sends a response signal back. This enables you to feel all sorts of sensations, including pain.
  • If for some reason the brain is sending exaggerated messages to some part of the body, the result may be lots of pain. That's what happens in PHN.
  • Neurontin somehow changes the way these messages are sent, thus altering the way the body senses and interprets the pain [source: Medline Plus, Lasich]. The end result is that the pain becomes less painful.

Although the Neurontin isn't FDA approved for treating all sorts of nerve pain, doctors prescribe it to treat other types of nerve pain as well [source: bellaireneurology.com].

Funny, I take 900 mg of Neurontin twice a day, and I'm dealing with a weight problem at 106 lbs. Without the Neurontin, I was weighing a lot less. Pain takes away your appetite, but it sounds like Magic is doing pretty well. I'm glad you already have a harness, they can be a big back saver. I'll keep the Big Guy in my prayers.

Be well and listen when your Magic 'talks' to you, you'll learn that in your private moments with him.

Sue :ghplaybow

"He rarely groans when he's laying down"

Five year old Myun will groan when she lays down, although in her case it's more drama than anything else ;)

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)